• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis - 2020-2021

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Fayetteville (Arkansas). Norrie won the first set 6-4 and it's 2-3 (even on serve) in the 2nd against Khachanov. Rybo v. Kudla delayed.
I looked up Little Rock (cuz I’m not a smart man) and saw 75 degrees and couldn’t figure out why they were moving inside for snow. But since they aren’t playing in Little Rock my little google search was pointless.

jake102

Norrie beats Khachanov 6-4, 3-6, 6-3!! Big W for Cam at Barcelona!

Next up will be Belgium's David Goffin.

Big time. Man Khachanov followed by Goffin isn't the worst draw in the world, but no cupcake on clay. I'm cracking like 10-0 in the last 10 Norrie matches on how I feel he will do, but I feel very indecisive on this match.

Jared7

Rybakov got the first set off Kudla but ended up losing in three sets - 6-3, 5-7, 1-6. It was good that he made the main draw, but losing in the first round won't earn him many ATP points or money.

Jared7

The new ITA rankings are out. Because the Big 12 already had access to them in order to do the seedings for the conference tourney, we had an advance preview so they shouldn't be surprising. The Frogs are 7th. Here they are (computer first):

1. Florida (L) (1)
2. Texas (W) (2)
3. Baylor (W; L) (3)
4. North Carolina (4)
5. Tennessee (L) (6)
6. Virginia (L) (5)
7. the Fighting Frogs of lil ole TCU (7)
8. A&M (L) (8)
9. Wake Forest (9)
10. Georgia (10)
11. UCF (11)
12. South Carolina (14)
13. Mississippi (W) (17)
14. Kentucky (16)
15. USC (W; L) (13)
16. Illinois (12)
17. Mississippi State (W) (18)
18. Oklahoma State (W) (22)
19. Tulane (23)
20. Alabama (25)
21. Tech (W) (24)
22. Ohio State (15)
23. Stanford (W) (19)
24. Arizona (20)
25. NC State (28)
26. Oklahoma (W; W) (26)
27. Arizona State (cancelled) (29)
29. USF (W) (34)
30. Pepperdine (W) (30)
38. Michigan (21)
43. Tulsa (W) (39)
45. Denver (W) (45)
50. SMU (W) (47)

So the "controversy" is this: Ohio State is 15th in the poll and 22nd in the computers. Do the Buckeyes get to host a regional? Michigan is 38th and 21st. Do they?

Here are the new singles rankings:

1. Liam Drexl (Kentucky)
2. Daniel Rodrigues (South Carolina)
3. Duarte Vale (Florida)
4. Valentin Vacherot (A&M)
5. Hady Habib (A&M)
6. Sam Riffice (Florida)
7. Gabriel DeCamps (UCF)
8. Matias Soto (Baylor)
9. Carl Soderlund (Virginia)
10. Henri Squire (Wake Forest)
12. Alastair Gray (TCU)
18. Luc Fomba (TCU)
75. Sander Jong (TCU)
100. Tomas Jirousek (TCU)
105. Jacob Fearnley (TCU)

Do you see any Big 10 or Pac 12 players in there? That's the "controversy."

Last edited:

Purp

Top 9 has an even distribution of B12, ACC, and SEC teams. B12 owning 2 of the top 3 and 3 of the top 7 looks mighty scrong, though.

jake102

Not good. Guess we won't have him in Big 12 tourny. Lucky he didn't get kicked off the team

In accordance with Big 12 Conference sportsmanship policies, TCU men’s tennis student-athlete Juan Martin has been issued a public reprimand for his conduct during Friday’s match at Texas Tech. The reprimand is in addition to a two-match suspension levied by TCU in response to Martin spitting on a Red Raider fan while leaving the court.

Longfrog

No idea about Martin, but to me he's clearly preferable to either Paroulek or Kruger.

Well I guess that answers my question about why Martin didn't play against Baylor. I saw a little of his match against Tech. He got an early lead and then kind of wilted. Everyone here knows Tech is a tough place to play, but no excuse for that. This is his first year to get playing time but he's been around long enough to know what to expect from opposing fans.

jake102

Norrie just "beat" Goffin. He won the first set 6-0, but was down a break at 4-5 in the 2nd set when Goffin retired. Lucky deal for him. Unlucky for him he's in the quarters but awaiting the winner of Nadal v Nishikori...... having to go #12 seed, #8 seed, #1 seed back to back to back is a tough draw.

Purp

Norrie just "beat" Goffin. He won the first set 6-0, but was down a break at 4-5 in the 2nd set when Goffin retired. Lucky deal for him. Unlucky for him he's in the quarters but awaiting the winner of Nadal v Nishikori...... having to go #12 seed, #8 seed, #1 seed back to back to back is a tough draw.
And it's on clay, right? Maybe Cam can find his inner UMBC and Nadal brings his inner UVA to that match.

Jared7

Goffin just did not look comfortable out there; especially in the first set but it never got better for him. He kept asking for the trainer; took injury timeouts and they were working on his upper leg. And the commentators said that Norrie was overpowering him and that he wasn't familiar with Cam's game at all. Goffin beat Zverev last week at Monte Carlo in making the quarters and he's ranked #12, so even if was a walkover, it's a good W for Cam.

Nadal has won this title 11 times and Nishikori twice, so I'm not expecting Norrie to win this. But just making the quarters will earn him some ATP points - he's #58 now, maybe he'll move into the Top 50.

jake102

Goffin just did not look comfortable out there; especially in the first set but it never got better for him. He kept asking for the trainer; took injury timeouts and they were working on his upper leg. And the commentators said that Norrie was overpowering him and that he wasn't familiar with Cam's game at all. Goffin beat Zverev last week at Monte Carlo in making the quarters and he's ranked #12, so even if was a walkover, it's a good W for Cam.

Nadal has won this title 11 times and Nishikori twice, so I'm not expecting Norrie to win this. But just making the quarters will earn him some ATP points - he's #58 now, maybe he'll move into the Top 50.

I show him moving up to #50 at this point. Obviously some other things could move, but that's what he should be tomorrow.

Jared7

It'll be Norrie v. Nadal as Rafa takes Nishikori in 3 sets. Not liking Cam's chances at all, but playing Rafa on his home turf will be a good experience for him. I'm curious as to how Facu Lugones will game plan this one...

jake102

It'll be Norrie v. Nadal as Rafa takes Nishikori in 3 sets. Not liking Cam's chances at all, but playing Rafa on his home turf will be a good experience for him. I'm curious as to how Facu Lugones will game plan this one...

Hit the ball hard, come what may. That's his only chance. He played Nadal well in their only prior meeting, but this is a different beast on clay.