• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2022-2023

JogginFrog

Had heard a change might be in the works, but hadn't heard the destination until today. A big blow for TCU women's golf:

Caitlyn's easy to root for; hope she finds what she needs and look forward to seeing her on the LPGA soon.

Had heard a change might be in the works, but hadn't heard the destination until today. A big blow for TCU women's golf:

Caitlyn's easy to root for; hope she finds what she needs and look forward to seeing her on the LPGA soon.
Wow. Tough loss. Ole Miss has a good culture there and I hope she gets everything she wants out of it. Maybe she wants to win a national championship and this is her best shot.

This is a big change from days of old. It was my impression that most players at places like TCU were more interested in getting to the next level and not so much a national championship. TCU gives you that platform, and players from any school can get the to next level. Only one team a year can win a national championship, and everything has to go right at the right time for that to happen. For more evidence, just look at Stanford's women's team this year. Quite possibly the most dominant women's team ever assembled. And they got knocked out in the semis.

Tough break for Hayden Springer. This guy is a grinder and I hope he gets a chance soon. He deserves it.

Before teeing off, he went with the 5-wood and laid the 3-iron in the backseat of his rental car. After completing a round of 66, which included two eagles, he took his clubs to his car as he awaited the other scores to come in. That’s when Springer put the 3-iron back in his bag.

After learning his 66 was good enough to get into a four-for-three playoff, Springer grabbed his bag and went to the range to warm up. It had started to rain, so he laid a towel over the top of the clubs.

Playing with Bret Stegmaier, Andy Spencer, and Peter Kuest, Springer hit a good drive. That’s when it occurred to him that he had forgotten to take out the 3-iron. When I asked him if he thought about not saying anything, he said, “Of course, there is that split second of thinking that no one would have ever known except for me.” But he was quick to add that he wouldn’t have been able to sleep at night, and he immediately walked to the rules official in the fairway and told him about his mistake. That is when the real adventure started.

JogginFrog

Tough break for Hayden Springer. This guy is a grinder and I hope he gets a chance soon. He deserves it.

Before teeing off, he went with the 5-wood and laid the 3-iron in the backseat of his rental car. After completing a round of 66, which included two eagles, he took his clubs to his car as he awaited the other scores to come in. That’s when Springer put the 3-iron back in his bag.

After learning his 66 was good enough to get into a four-for-three playoff, Springer grabbed his bag and went to the range to warm up. It had started to rain, so he laid a towel over the top of the clubs.

Playing with Bret Stegmaier, Andy Spencer, and Peter Kuest, Springer hit a good drive. That’s when it occurred to him that he had forgotten to take out the 3-iron. When I asked him if he thought about not saying anything, he said, “Of course, there is that split second of thinking that no one would have ever known except for me.” But he was quick to add that he wouldn’t have been able to sleep at night, and he immediately walked to the rules official in the fairway and told him about his mistake. That is when the real adventure started.
Well-written piece about one of TCU's good guys. Thanks for posting.

JogginFrog

Peter Kuest, one of the guys who made the field because of Hayden's admission, is T4 going into Sunday. If he finishes in a two-way tie for fourth or better, he earns special temp membership with entry into PGA Tour events for the rest of the season (and nearly $400K). He mentioned Hayden in his post-round interview.

JogginFrog

Barjon shot a 66 on Saturday to take a 1-shot lead into the final round of the Memorial Health Championship. If he wins, he'll move from 147th on the KFT points list into the top 30. The final group will be on the course at 10a Central.

JogginFrog

Angela Stanford turned 45 in November, which qualified her to play in some of the major senior events. Yesterday, in her first start on the senior circuit, she won the Senior LPGA Championship, shooting a bogey-free final round 65.

It was a similar story to when she won her LPGA major in France a few years ago. She contended, finished strong, and then benefitted from another player's collapse. On the final hole, Stanford was 4 back of Trish Johnson. Stanford made birdie, which seemed meaningless until Johnson triple-bogeyed 17. Johnson then bogeyed 18 as well to hand Stanford the title.

As they say, it's not how, it's how many. Congrats to Angela on adding a senior major to her long list of accomplishments.

JogginFrog

Barjon makes the turn in 30 -- he's opened up a 4-shot lead at -25. Let's see if he can keep his foot on the pedal and take home the trophy.

JogginFrog

Peter Kuest, one of the guys who made the field because of Hayden's admission, is T4 going into Sunday. If he finishes in a two-way tie for fourth or better, he earns special temp membership with entry into PGA Tour events for the rest of the season (and nearly $400K). He mentioned Hayden in his post-round interview.
Monday-quaifier Kuest finishes in a 3-way tie for fourth. He earns $370K. Would be nice if he (and all of us) made a small donation to the Springers' charity. However, since he needed a two-way tie for 4th to get special temporary Tour membership, he falls short by the slimmest of margins. But if he finishes solo 76th or better next week, that get him over the hump. Hoping Hayden gets through soon in Monday Q.

JogginFrog

Jackson Suber eagles both back-nine par 5s to catch Barjon at -26. Might take -28 or better to win. Barjon still has a par-5 to play, though.

Edit: A second weather suspension, this one with Barjon on the par-5 16th, leaves the conclusion hanging.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Winner! Paul Barjon hits the pin on his final approach, then gets up and down to claim his second Korn Ferry Tour title. (Edit: Winner's share of the $1M purse is $180K.) Congrats to Paul--huge step on the road back to the PGA Tour. (Edit: Suggest watching video with sound turned off--announcer might need to be relegated to the Mackenzie Tour.)

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Not sure which is more surprising--that Bernhard Langer won the U.S. Senior Open at age 65 (with a 5-stroke cushion most of the final round), or that he'd only won it once previously.

JogginFrog

Gustav Frimodt among several Danes getting a chance to test their skills against Europe's best this week. Gustav shot 74-72 to miss the cut by 5. Meanwhile, Johannes Veerman is T13, David Ravetto is T26, and Jeong Weon Ko shot 66 in round 2 to make the cut on the number.

Also making the cut on the number is Filippo Celli at the Challenge Tour stop in Viterbo, Italy.

JogginFrog

JJ Killeen pointing out the most-used name in golf courses.

I haven't played Meadow Brook in Lubbock, but I'm with JJ as a fan of Fort Worth's Meadowbrook. In my day it was by far the most interesting of the 18-hole Fort Worth munis. (Rockwood's Blue 9 being in a category of its own.) When I lived in southwest FW, I trekked to Meadowbrook regularly, and when I lived on the east side I never played the other FW munis. While the course could give you some weird bounces, it made you use most of the clubs in your bag, had a good mix of hard/easy holes, and played differently depending on wind and tee placement. You could also walk on in the late afternoon with little wait. It's still just $12 on weekday evenings, and if you can't get in a full 18, the course conveniently routes back to the clubhouse at 14.

JogginFrog

Apparently it's being redesigned, with most of the front nine playing in reverse, and 15-18 also reversed. Interesting. May be good to get rid of some of the blind spots, but I will miss the forced-carry hero tee shot on 5.

Last edited: