• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2022-2023

JogginFrog

Tom Hoge with an ace at the Masters par-3 tournament.

Mateo Fernandez de Oliveira almost got one, too.

Hoge goes on to win the par-3 event, finishing at -6, a shot better than Bubba.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

The TCU women are playing Day 2 of the Big 12 Match Play Championship at Kierland Golf Club in Scottsdale. And someone might want to explain the concept of match play to whoever set up the event. I've never seen this format--threesomes playing three simultaneous 1-on-1 matches, with each player facing off against the other two. But, of course, that almost completely removes match-play strategy, where decisions are made based on the play of one opponent. Add a second opponent, and you pretty much have to play it like stroke play. (And do both opponents have to agree to concede putts?) I'm guessing they putt out everything. Dumb.

Edit: I guess the challenge is that you can't set up balanced pools with 9 teams (WVU doesn't compete in women's golf.) So having three-way matches allows for round-robin competition over two 36-hole days. I'd opt for inviting a 10th team and playing it like the men do.

Anyway, Frogs are seeded 6th. They won both a.m. matches yesterday, with Caitlyn Macnab and Lois Lau both posting 68s--Lois somehow only getting a halve in both of her matches. TCU lost both p.m. matches, with only Macnab posting individual wins. Disappointing finish vs. Oklahoma. With other matches split, one player lost her last two holes to turn a 1-up lead into a 1-down loss that flipped the outcome.

This a.m. they face off against Tech and Oklahoma State. Follow scoring here.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

TCU women advance to the semi-finals with a pair of wins Saturday morning. Macnab and Lau both shot 68; Trinity King had a 69 as those three swept their matches.

Oklahoma State's Maddison Hinson-Tolchard (currently the top-ranked Big 12 player) thought she might be the first to take down Macnab this weekend--through 16 holes, she was 4-under and 1 up on Caitlyn. But she finished bogey-par while Macnab closed par-birdie to keep her slate perfect. She has beaten two top-15 players in 4 rounds.

Frogs play off against Texas this afternoon; winner will play the winner of Kansas-Baylor for the championship.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Caitlyn's run finally ended against Angela Heo, who shot a front-nine 29, and UT downed the Frogs 3-2. The TCU women will have a chance to match the men with a third-place finish tomorrow. Not sure if they will play Kansas or Baylor. KU won the last hole of the last pairing to halve the other semi-final; if they go by total holes won, KU will advance and TCU will get the Bears.

JogginFrog

Congrats to the TCU women, who matched the TCU men with a third-place win at the Big 12 Match Play Championship. TCU topped Baylor 3-2 on Sunday. After Caitlyn Macnab won easily (going -8 through 16 holes to finish the weekend 7-1), three other matches were tied on the 17th or 18th tee. Frogs needed and got 2 wins (Nguyen and Lau).

Last edited:

JogginFrog

TCU men are on the course at the Aggie Invitational at Traditions Golf Club in Bryan.

The tournament was mentioned in the Butler Cabin conversation with Sam Bennett yesterday, but Sam is not in the lineup for the Aggies. He might have some media obligations this a.m. (Edit: He was on site Monday afternoon to cheer his teammates, but I can't bring myself to link to Aggie social media.)

Gustav Frimodt is back in the lineup for TCU, along with Giboudot, Olesen, Laussot and Berzina. Laussot played Traditions as an individual last season during NCAA regionals.

Frogs are projected as the 4th-best team in the 13-team field. They are off to a good start at -5, 2 back of the Ags. They play 36 today, 18 tomorrow.

Follow scoring here.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Frogs finished the first round in 3rd place, 5 shots back of leader Louisville. Gustav Frimodt was in solo 2nd with a 67. Frogs are back on the course now and Max Giboudot is making a run with three early birdies.

JogginFrog

Frogs are in 3rd going into the final round, 13 back of leader Louisville and 2 shots out of second. Gustav is solo 4th, Giboudot T5.

Frimodt is just 2 back of the individual lead; might make a run at a trophy.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Frimodt has made 4 birdies in his first 6 holes to take the individual lead by a shot over Louisville's Max Kennedy (who is the highest-ranked player in the field, not Frimodt, in a correction to an earlier post). They are paired together.

As a team, the Frogs are battling the Aggies for second.

Update: Frimodt now in a 3-way tie for first with 6 to play. Frogs have given strokes back as a team; fighting to hang onto 3rd with LSU and Baylor chasing.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Tough finish for the Frogs. Frimodt birdies 15 & 16 to take the solo lead, then makes double on 17 to lose the individual title by a shot.

Teamwise, TCU counts an 80 today and loses a 15-shot lead on LSU. The 4th-place finish isn't bad, but the closing round will leave a bad taste--except for Laussot, who shot 68 to earn a top-15 finish.

Frogs get a week off before heading to Prairie Dunes for the Big 12 Championship.

JogginFrog

The notorious KFT comes to Tarrant County this weekend. The Korn Ferry Tour is leaning into regional marketing with a focus on players who played their college golf in Texas. With Paul Barjon and Hayden Springer among them, thought it'd be worth a repost of TCU's repost.

The tournament will again be played at Texas Rangers Golf Club; tix are $30 per day or $55 for the week. I haven't played the track since it was revamped from the former Chester W. Ditto muni. The land is the former farm of the Ditto family--extra credit if you know the connection between Chester Ditto and Ben Hogan.

Barjon is back on the KFT full time after not retaining his Tour card; his best finish in 5 events this season is T41. He tees off #1 on Thursday at 7:57.

Springer is getting his second KFT start of the year; he'll be playing with Parker Coody in rounds 1-2; tee time Thursday is 9:21 (hole #10).

Last edited:

JogginFrog

J.J. Henry also gets a start in Arlington. He just finished up a 1-under 70. Paul Barjon was a shot better, but if it were a best-ball tourney, they would've combined for a 61.

Hayden Springer rinses one at the last and shoots Even par. Leaders are -8.

J.J. getting competitive reps, likely with an eye to qualify for the Champions Tour in 2025. Champions Tour purses average 2.3 million vs. 1.0 million for KFT.

Last edited:
J.J. Henry also gets a start in Arlington. He just finished up a 1-under 70. Paul Barjon was a shot better, but if it were a best-ball tourney, they would've combined for a 61.

Hayden Springer is still on the course; he's -1 through 13. Leader is -8.

J.J. getting competitive reps, likely with an eye to qualify for the Champions Tour in 2025. Champions Tour purses average 2.3 million vs. 1.0 million for KFT.
Also in the field is Chad Campbell, who is 48 and rounding the turn towards the Champions Tour. He's won $26 million on the PGA Tour.

JogginFrog

In the top 10 at the KFT event in Arlington are players who attended UT, Baylor, SMU and OU. But since no Frogs are joining them, I'll wrap coverage on the Veritex Bank Championship with the answer to the trivia question posed earlier. Per a display in the Chester W. Ditto clubhouse at Texas Rangers Golf Club, Chester's brother Howard was Ben Hogan's personal physician and married Hogan's sister.

JogginFrog

A semi-TCU alumni moment in the latest No Laying Up vanity project, which followed Chris Solomon at the 2023 Gasparilla Invitational, a mid-am event in Tampa. Soly's second-round score was shown to match that of eminent TCU mid-am Aaron Hickman (at 37:24).

I looked to see if Hickman was paired with Solomon in the final round (while also wondering how much of a distraction vlogging is on playing partners in a competition). Turns out Aaron was in the group immediately behind.

Also did a quick search on WAGR to see if Hickman has had any notable finishes since winning and then nearly defending the 2020 Texas Mid-Am match play title. No high finishes since 2021, but he did get to tee it up twice at the Crump Cup at Pine Valley, the choicest of mid-am invites.

Any other Frogs out there had a chance to tee it up at Pine Valley?

JogginFrog

Winner of the KFT event this week was among the 300+ who entered Monday qualifying. Spencer Levin leaves the week $180,000 richer than he came in. Frogs who gave qualifying a shot included Andrew Presley, who shot -3 at Waterchase (-8 advanced) and Jack Beauchamp, who shot Even at Bridlewood (-7 got to a playoff).

frogfanatic03

Any updates on coaching hire? There are 4 seniors in the lineup who potentially could come back for an extra year. I imagine they are feeling pretty anxious having to wait this long with their future in the balance.

JogginFrog

Any updates on coaching hire? There are 4 seniors in the lineup who potentially could come back for an extra year. I imagine they are feeling pretty anxious having to wait this long with their future in the balance.
What I heard last week, second-hand, is that a decision hadn't been made.

For the seniors, is there any downside to entering the transfer portal? (Deadline to do so is May 1, I think.) That allows discussions with coaches at other programs--including candidates for the TCU job who are coaching elsewhere. Seems like the portal would open up discussions about staying as well as going. Any restriction on a coach talking with a player about a program other than the one where they are currently employed?

JogginFrog

TCU women begin play at the Big 12 Championships tomorrow at the Dallas Athletic Club. They'll be on the course starting at 9:00, paired with Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

TCU's top four have been well established this season. Coach Larkin has used three players in the 5 slot this spring. Here are their stats--which one would you go with in the conference tournament?

Player A: Season avg. 76.0; Avg. in TX/OK: 78.3; Low score: 72; High score: 79
Player B: Season avg. 79.3; Avg. in TX/OK: 76.0; Low score: 68; High score: 89
Player C: Season avg. 82.3; Avg. in TX/OK: N/A; Low score: 80; High score: 85

The conservative answer is Player A, who rarely breaks par but never shoots in the 80s. She's an insurance policy in case someone else blows up.

The calculated risk is Player B, who is volatile but plays her best golf in Texas and is capable of a subpar score.

So, naturally, the lineup for the weekend includes Player C, who hasn't broken 80 and hasn't played a competitive round in state. Coach must see something in practice--or else it was a straight-up qualifier result. I've suspected that Player C's appeal is length off the tee, but DAC is a tree-lined layout playing short at 6,215 yards. Anyway, here's hoping she comes in with a chip to prove me and the stats wrong.

Follow scoring here: https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=26044

Last edited: