ShadowFrog

Moderators
Views of the construction of the East Campus Dining and Residence Halls

AYHGdrc.jpg

JyaYpPI.jpg

yIwjyEY.jpg

Ck0QFui.jpg

DgNLZJD.jpg
Too bad there’s no giant HypnoToad flag on that crane.

Big Frog II

Imma get roasted for this, but one of the finest looking campuses in the country ... but for one bldg.: SidRich. Thinkkkkk abt how much real estate that sucker sits on and what it could become if:

Boom.png
Sid Richardson's architect was picked by the Bass Family/Sid Richardson Foundation. It was a very generous gift at the time, and was a building we really needed. Sadly it doesn't fit well with the rest of the campus architecture. I think if Ed had been in charge at the time, it would been built to fit in with the rest of the campus better.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Sid Richardson's architect was picked by the Bass Family/Sid Richardson Foundation. It was a very generous gift at the time, and was a building we really needed. Sadly it doesn't fit well with the rest of the campus architecture. I think if Ed had been in charge at the time, it would been built to fit in with the rest of the campus better.
All I know is, they bulldozed the house where I had a lot of good times back in the day. Alas...

Boomhauer

Sid Rich is a legend. Could count the # of entry/exit doors every day & come up with a different # every time, diabolical staircases, sub-optimal Brick jumping off points, top-secret hidden bathrooms, half-imbedded missile silos, dark & drafty basement hallways, the ONE lonely Dr Pepper machine, the time tunnel connections to Winton Scott that span 3 generations. I could go on. I think we’re still missing a classmate from my fresh year ‘77, still in there somewhere…..

Man, reading this post was like a live flashback in time. That is a crazy ass building, especially for a frosh who was scrambling to any class for the first time. Good luck

jack the frog

Man, reading this post was like a live flashback in time. That is a crazy ass building, especially for a frosh who was scrambling to any class for the first time. Good luck
I’m pretty sure that building is where the recurring dream/nightmare of being late to class and can’t find the classroom emanated.

tcudoc

Sid Rich is a legend. Could count the # of entry/exit doors every day & come up with a different # every time, diabolical staircases, sub-optimal Brick jumping off points, top-secret hidden bathrooms, half-imbedded missile silos, dark & drafty basement hallways, the ONE lonely Dr Pepper machine, the time tunnel connections to Winton Scott that span 3 generations. I could go on. I think we’re still missing a classmate from my fresh year ‘77, still in there somewhere…..
Had most of my science classes in the Sid Rich. It was so complex to navigate through until you finally figure it out. I went back not that long ago and had forgotten much of it, so I had to relearn how to get in and around the building. To this day, if I have a nightmare involving school (classes that I signed up for but never attended and now have to take a final exam in-less common, but still happen very occasionally...weird, right?), the setting in my dream is typically some elaborate version of Sid Rich with intricate hallways and passages that are perplexing to me within the dream.
All that being said, I love that building.

Purp

Imma get roasted for this, but one of the finest looking campuses in the country ... but for one bldg.: SidRich. Thinkkkkk abt how much real estate that sucker sits on and what it could become if:

Boom.png
I did my part. Used to live in a duplex on Cockrell behind the bookstore. We often hit golf balls at it from our front yard well into the weeee hours of the morning after Dave shut down the Pub (Eff you Dave!)

Toad Jones

How do we catch up to Baylor? LOL!
I have been all over the Baylor campus in the last three weeks. Twice last week alone. THE ONLY construction I saw was the new bb arena. Period!!! If some Baylor sort is trying to make us feel bad about our facilities, he is smoking some Indian potion. Baylor CANNOT compare with TCU's facilities. Not even close!

Been in McLean Stadium three times this past season. It's nice and new, but that's it. I will say the lights at night on that empty stadium remind me of an outhouse.

Last edited:

Fort Worth Urban

There are remarkably few "holdout" properties near the campus these days.

West of University,
-The home that was located at the northeast corner of Wabash and Berry, in front of the new admin building (The Harrison) was purchased by the school and demolished recently.
-The single home left in the Worth Hills area on Bellaire, just across from the FB practice fields.

East of University (to McCart)
-"The drag" of storefronts on University just north of the bookstore (Buffalo Bro's, Dutch's, etc) and a single 50' wide parking lot. The rest of the lots are University owned.
-The building occupied by King's Liqour and the small building just behind that occupied by Liquid Frog.
-The building occupied by Kube's Jewelers
-Two buildings across from the hotel, 3024 and 3014 Sandage.

A number of other properties are now school owned, but for the time being still remain.
-The old architects office NW corner of Bowie and Lubbock
-The entire block, including two homes and small commercial building, east of Bookstore and west of Grandmarc.

Purp

A number of other properties are now school owned, but for the time being still remain.
Why is that old eye sore still there? It appears construction is currently going on around it right now and it's not a large enough piece of land to put anything other than a parking lot for the new construction. Why not raze it now and add parking?

I always thought that was a person's residence and he specifically designed it to be as obscene as possible without violating any city ordinances or other building restrictions for that neighborhood. Sounded like he did it as a sort of middle finger to the university. It's interesting that TCU owns it now and it's still there.

Fort Worth Urban

Why is that old eye sore still there? It appears construction is currently going on around it right now and it's not a large enough piece of land to put anything other than a parking lot for the new construction. Why not raze it now and add parking?

I always thought that was a person's residence and he specifically designed it to be as obscene as possible without violating any city ordinances or other building restrictions for that neighborhood. Sounded like he did it as a sort of middle finger to the university. It's interesting that TCU owns it now and it's still there.

I can't answer why TCU has not decided to remove it. But it has some historic value, having been built in 1936 and is one of the few remaining Charles Moss Davis homes left in the city.

More info on those homes can be found here: https://hometownbyhandlebar.com/?paged=317

OICU812

I always wondered about the Art Deco looking home with the Cubist garage out back...
Joe Self had that as his office/residence. Lifted the roof a few feet to allow for placement of the clerestory windows. Main building was residence for him and his wife, garage was office for them and 2-3 employees. Very cool imo. Told me back in mid 2000s that TCU would throw offers at him regularly and each time they did he would increase his demand. Back in 06 I know he wouldn’t sell for $1m, so assuming by now it was well beyond that. I say good for him, they couldn’t bully him into selling like they did many others.

tcuwags

There are remarkably few "holdout" properties near the campus these days.

West of University,
-The home that was located at the northeast corner of Wabash and Berry, in front of the new admin building (The Harrison) was purchased by the school and demolished recently.
-The single home left in the Worth Hills area on Bellaire, just across from the FB practice fields.

East of University (to McCart)
-"The drag" of storefronts on University just north of the bookstore (Buffalo Bro's, Dutch's, etc) and a single 50' wide parking lot. The rest of the lots are University owned.
-The building occupied by King's Liqour and the small building just behind that occupied by Liquid Frog.
-The building occupied by Kube's Jewelers
-Two buildings across from the hotel, 3024 and 3014 Sandage.

-The entire block, including two homes and small commercial building, east of Bookstore and west of Grandmarc.
Thank you for the information. Interesting.

narly1

Rumor has it that the entire block between Sandage and Merida will soon be a parking lot (due west of the new Hyatt). I believe all of these are now university owned properties.