• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

Purp

given TCU’s target market, it’ll probably be a Hyatt regency with dorm rooms costing $4,000/month in 5 years
The good news is the motel could get face-lift upgrades fairly cheaply where Sid Rich and Moudy can't. Most of the building looks fine. It's the industrial looking top portions that need attention. I don't expect it to change any time soon, but if anything has a chance of extra attention in the near term that's probably it.

BABYFACE

I see both sides. I do like cooking in and enjoying a great meal and spirit at a much lower price. I also enjoy eating out at new places or places I haven’t been to in while when visiting an area other than I live.

On a two night (weekend stay), I prefer to eat out. 4-7 day vacation, I prefer a place that has a kitchen so I can cook meals in but also mix in eating out. Example: Ski trip when we rent a 3-4 bedroom condo that includes myself and two daughters, sister and her spouse, and her spouse’s father. Each of the three groups are responsible for one dinner that they cook for everyone. So, on a 5-6 night trip. We eat in for three dinners and the other, we eat out or bring pizza back. We eat in for all breakfast meals, and eat all lunches out on the mountain.

It gives a good mix of eating out and cooking in. And yeah, it is cool just to chill out in the condo in the evening in your comfy clothes eating and drinking.

Last edited:

HToady

I see the both sides of cooking in and enjoying a great meal and spirit at a much lower price. I also enjoy eating out at new places or places I haven’t been to in while when visiting an area other than I live.

On a two night (weekend stay), I prefer to eat out. 4-7 day vacation, I prefer a place that has a kitchen so I can cook meals in but also mix in eating out. Example: Ski trip when we rent a 3-4 bedroom condo that includes myself and two daughters, sister and her spouse, and her spouse’s father. Each of the three groups are responsible for one dinner that they cook for everyone. So, on a 5-6 night trip. We eat in for three dinners and the other, we eat out or bring pizza back. We eat in for all breakfast meals, and eat all lunches out on the mountain.

It gives a good mix of eating out and cooking in. And yeah, it is cool just to chill out in the condo in the evening in your comfy clothes eating and drinking.
Fort Worth is still grappling with the issue of short term rentals. Currently, in Fort Worth, you cannot (legally) rent out your home for less than 30 days. The State is also fighting with Fort Worth over this restriction. It seems the biggest issue for Fort Worth is the collection of hotel taxes, but as long as this is the policy my neighbors and I around the campus will continue to peruse AirB&B and Vrbo looking for violators and turning them into the City.

Relic

Exterior work on the hotel is done.

iYFMNab.jpg

xJHKc3O.jpg

ceQpNVP.jpg
Eerie....
Dr.-Pepper-Bldg_.jpg

Purp

Fort Worth is still grappling with the issue of short term rentals. Currently, in Fort Worth, you cannot (legally) rent out your home for less than 30 days. The State is also fighting with Fort Worth over this restriction. It seems the biggest issue for Fort Worth is the collection of hotel taxes, but as long as this is the policy my neighbors and I around the campus will continue to peruse AirB&B and Vrbo looking for violators and turning them into the City.
Seems excessive unless you own a local hotel or two.

Paul in uhh

Sounds like you need a hobby

lowfrog

Really surprised no one on here has mentioned the most glaring deficiency of the new TCU hotel: the lack of two large, rotating purple spotlights on the roof shining up into the night sky every night containing a dancing horned frog. These spotlights would be visible in the night sky from many miles away calling all TCU Horned Frogs home.
batsignal.jpg

Yes, I know that's the bat signal. My photoshop skills are deficient. If you have the skills, please modify the gif to replace the bat with a TCU Horned Frog.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Really surprised no one on here has mentioned the most glaring deficiency of the new TCU hotel: the lack of two large, rotating purple spotlights on the roof shining up into the night sky every night containing a dancing horned frog. These spotlights would be visible in the night sky from many miles away calling all TCU Horned Frogs home.
View attachment 8554

Yes, I know that's the bat signal. My photoshop skills are deficient. If you have the skills, please modify the gif to replace the bat with a TCU Horned Frog.
People would just complain that the light was the wrong color purple, or that the Frog image was bad, etc.

netty2424

I’m not sure I’m following? So you all are turning in families who are renting out their homes via AirBnb and the like?

Purp

So you would be cool if your next door neighbor was renting out his house for weekend parties? To strangers?
It's irrelevant whether or not I'd be fine with it. I don't pay any of his mortgage and therefore don't presume to possess any rights of ownership to his property. If his tenants don't adhere to laws and interfere with my rights then they'll be dealt with on an as needed basis if I have to do something about it. But I'm not going to go spying on my neighbors to make sure they don't let strangers in their house who may or may not break rules. I'm not sitting on my front porch shooting radar to call the cops on people driving over the speed limit in my neighborhood either.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

East side for dorms and cafeteria..

Should be open fall 2023. The 700-sear east campus dining hall foreshadows that the two dorms they’re building (500 beds total) are just the first wave of east campus housing.

Board also approved renovation of Sadler to academic space and the renewal of the west side of the library.

Most interesting to me is the continued delay of the BLUU expansion. But it may be a step-by-step process that relies on finishing Sadler, moving some student affairs ops to Jarvis, and then renovating and expanding the BLUU