• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: Tuition to exceed $50,000 moving forward

steelfrog

Tier 1
I gave today. I told myself I would once I paid off my student loans. I earned an academic scholarship after my freshman year and I still owed about 40k upon graduating. Saved up for 7 years and paid it all off with the click of a mouse last year. It took a lot of hard work to save it up. Us falling in the academic rankings really bothered me. I understand tuition goes up and if we get our endowment up enough, we can be like other elite schools that give generous financial aid to almost everyone. I am racking up another 40k for a masters at USC now back home in L.A., so here we go again lol. TCU is a special place. I hope we somehow get to that billion dollar goal. I also know the Frogs will bounce back next year. For those that can give, I encourage it. I grew up in south Los Angeles (Inglewood), not the greatest places (The NFL stadium is changing things). I feel lucky to be in a place where I can help some newer frogs out.

That is a very commendable intent. But your last sentence is where I go off the rails for giving to TCU. What makes you think that you are helping out newer frogs? I would assume if I gave money to TCU that the corporation would simply gobble it up and add to the accretion of their physical plant or endowment, or raise admin salaries etc. All the while continuing to raise tuition 5% a year, and simultaneously falling in academic rankings. If I wanted to help out fellow frogs, I would simply find a kid and give her money.

Pharm Frog

That is a very commendable intent. But your last sentence is where I go off the rails for giving to TCU. What makes you think that you are helping out newer frogs? I would assume if I gave money to TCU that the corporation would simply gobble it up and add to the accretion of their physical plant or endowment, or raise admin salaries etc. All the while continuing to raise tuition 5% a year, and simultaneously falling in academic rankings. If I wanted to help out fellow frogs, I would simply find a kid and give her money.

Sexist IMO.

tcumaniac

I've said this on here before, and if you post over at 247, I just said something similar but:

As much as I enjoyed my TCU experience, unless someone receives a very substantial scholarship, it would be very difficult for me to look someone in the eye and tell them that TCU is worth the cost.

I started TCU in the fall of 2010 (the year we won the Rose Bowl). I was in the top 5% at Aledo, had lots of extra curricular activities, and scored well on my SAT. TCU gave me more than half scholarship and I was lucky enough to have parents capable of helping pay for the rest.

After the Rose Bowl, applications spiked to 19,000 prospective students (with Californians pouring in left and right).

My little brother, 2 grades below me, had almost identical grades and high school resume and received zero scholarship. My little sister, 3 grades below me, had better grades and test scores than both of us, and she received zero scholarship as well. They attended UT and A&M, respectively, and both had phenomenal college experiences and both graduated with great jobs at a fraction of what it would have cost to go to TCU.

It's pretty sad. If I had been even a year younger, I probably would not have been able to afford attending TCU.

What's even sadder, IMO, is how drastically the culture at TCU is likely changing. Unless you are willing to take on an irresponsible amount of student debt, it's really hard to imagine someone being able to afford TCU unless they are either really poor (and receive need based scholarship) or are extremely wealthy. To me, this means we are missing out on a huge population of people that in the past have made the TCU culture so great. I don't love the idea of our future alumni base consisting primarily of west and east coast elites. Gross.

Big Frog II

At $50,000 for tuition, very few of us could afford it unless you received substantial scholarship money. Getting a big scholarship is the key to attending any private school. Of course you would be amazed how many private high schools cost $25,000/yr or more.

As for those ratings, we got boomed this year for lack of diversity. The education has not suffered.

DubaiFrog

“Students can have whatever you want, but somebody’s going to have to pay for it, and students want more of everything every year,” Boschini said. “They want more food options, they want more psychiatrists in the counseling center, they want a bigger Rec Center, and all that costs money.”
If this clown (Boschini) is an example of those making making financial decisions for TCU the school is in serious trouble!

He said having a set rate for incoming first-year students throughout their time at TCU likely isn’t a good solution either.

If only Chancellor Boschini was in a position of power to, I dono, say "No" to outrageous student demands for increased dining hall options....

DubaiFrog

Dubaifrog Jr. was born in August, and we recently opened his 529 account to start saving for his college in 18 years. Budgeting out what we can currently afford to contribute (about $200/month) + a 7% annual growth rate, I projected he should have close to about $100k in the account 2037 when he starts college.

Joked with my wife last night that we should have enough to pay for about 1 year of TCU by that point...so I hope he enjoys being a UTD Comet.

Eight

I've said this on here before, and if you post over at 247, I just said something similar but:

As much as I enjoyed my TCU experience, unless someone receives a very substantial scholarship, it would be very difficult for me to look someone in the eye and tell them that TCU is worth the cost.

I started TCU in the fall of 2010 (the year we won the Rose Bowl). I was in the top 5% at Aledo, had lots of extra curricular activities, and scored well on my SAT. TCU gave me more than half scholarship and I was lucky enough to have parents capable of helping pay for the rest.

After the Rose Bowl, applications spiked to 19,000 prospective students (with Californians pouring in left and right).

My little brother, 2 grades below me, had almost identical grades and high school resume and received zero scholarship. My little sister, 3 grades below me, had better grades and test scores than both of us, and she received zero scholarship as well. They attended UT and A&M, respectively, and both had phenomenal college experiences and both graduated with great jobs at a fraction of what it would have cost to go to TCU.

It's pretty sad. If I had been even a year younger, I probably would not have been able to afford attending TCU.

What's even sadder, IMO, is how drastically the culture at TCU is likely changing. Unless you are willing to take on an irresponsible amount of student debt, it's really hard to imagine someone being able to afford TCU unless they are either really poor (and receive need based scholarship) or are extremely wealthy. To me, this means we are missing out on a huge population of people that in the past have made the TCU culture so great. I don't love the idea of our future alumni base consisting primarily of west and east coast elites. Gross.

our youngest after her freshman year in high school stopped playing sports and turned her focus on grades and academic pursuits.

she attended 3 different summer camps/programs held at tcu through neeley,

she liked the campus, liked the dorms, like the faculty and staff she was exposed to and hated the tcu students who were counselors and the other attendees who were headed to tcu.

very few of the counselors worked in high school and they were doing the summer thing to fill time and none of the high school kids worked.

i am sure there are kids who were part of that group who had jobs in high school and worked in college, but all our kids worked in high school and during college.

how in the world do you teach a child to value money if they have never had to put anything into the actually earning the money?

i know that everyone of my son's friends who were accounting majors and did not work in college have already quit their jobs the big firms because they just didn't want to put in the holes.

i know friends who are continually looking for sales people because they can find people willing to do the grind required to get started.

i know this isn't tcu's fault, hell most likely not their concern, but i do have a concern about the change in the attitude of the students on that campus when only a smart percentage of families can afford to send their kids to the school

As some have said, the issues related to TCU's base tuition isn't specific to TCU. Nothing too unique about the full tuition price relative to our peers. If TCU makes no sense to a prospective student because of cost, none of its peers are going to make sense.

Big question is how much scholarships and aid the school can provide. Not all schools are the same there, especially wrt scholarships. I think that is a big focus of the "Lead On" campaign. Scholarship support can really go a long way to attracting high quality students. If it offers more and higher value merit based scholarships, combined with its top notch campus and dorm life and student life, its going to have no trouble continuing to attract a variety of good students.

As an aside, Rice came up with this program last year where students admitted from families making 130,000 got full tuition and families between 130 and 200K received at least half. https://www.fox8live.com/2018/09/19...l-tuition-students-with-family-incomes-under/

Makes me wonder that if the lead on campaign is successful, could TCU do something similar?

The TCU Football Jerk

As an aside, Rice came up with this program last year where students admitted from families making 130,000 got full tuition and families between 130 and 200K received at least half. https://www.fox8live.com/2018/09/19...l-tuition-students-with-family-incomes-under/

Makes me wonder that if the lead on campaign is successful, could TCU do something similar?

Rice has the highest per capita endowment in the country. Until TCU gets into that rarefied air, doubtful will ever see anything like that.

ticketfrog123

If only Chancellor Boschini was in a position of power to, I dono, say "No" to outrageous student demands for increased dining hall options....

I don’t buy what boschini is saying here.

they made significant cuts to the Dining options every year I was there. What are they actually go to change with dining that is so expensive?