• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: TCU chooses new official Horned Frog tartan

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU chooses new official Horned Frog tartan

By Caroline Love

Get ready to golf, eat haggis or drink Scotch because TCU just got its very own tartan.

TCU Licensing announced via Twitter that tartan number five is now the official tartan of the university after a campus-wide vote was held.

Wearing tartan has been a Scottish tradition for thousands of years. The patterns identify people with specific families or clans and started during King George IV’s rule, Lori Renfro, a member of the Cowtown Scottish society, said. She also said modern institutions, including universities, are creating their own tartans.

Read more at https://www.tcu360.com/2018/04/tcu-chooses-the-new-official-horned-frog-tartan/

Ray Finkle

Would one of you photoshoppers do a jersey and pants with the tartan, please? The pants would look either badarse or completely idiotic with no in between. We might actually be able to pull-off the pants. Jersey might be a bit much but then again, a lot of people said that about the Frog Skin pattern.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Today's school opening day kickoff at the founder's statue was a celebration of Provost Nowell Donovan. He is retiring from his postition of Provost after this school year.

Provost Donovan was in attendance wearing his official TCU Tartan Kilt, Heim BBQ was served, and joy was to be had by all.

Official TCU Tartan tumbler:

Lone Frog

Wearing tartan has been a Scottish tradition for thousands of years. The patterns identify people with specific families or clans and started during King George IV’s rule, Lori Renfro, a member of the Cowtown Scottish society, said. She also said modern institutions, including universities, are creating their own tartans.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but the second bolded part doesn't do much to support the first, considering George IV was king in the 1800s.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but the second bolded part doesn't do much to support the first, considering George IV was king in the 1800s.
He's saying that the association of a clan or family with a specific design of tartan began in the 1800's under George IV. It was the Scottish wool industry that essentially made up all of the clan tartan designs. They were not of historical origin. I was quite let down when I found out that fact.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
2228544_1.jpg

Frog-in-law1995

Because my Aunt is an insanely OCD genealogist, I can trace my surname lineage back a few generations past my ancestor who emigrated from Glasgow to the US back in the early 19th century. So of course we did a family vacation to Scotland one year and had to look up our “family” tartan. Dad had big plans for buying a bunch of cloth of whatever the tartan turned out to be and making a bunch of stuff out of it. Ties, towels, etc. Ended up being similar to blackwatch, except with two big ole pink stripes in it. Pretty sure he was crushed. As I recall, he bought a keychain and that’s it.

MacThomas_Modern.bmp

Pharm Frog

Would one of you photoshoppers do a jersey and pants with the tartan, please? The pants would look either badarse or completely idiotic with no in between. We might actually be able to pull-off the pants. Jersey might be a bit much but then again, a lot of people said that about the Frog Skin pattern.

In the early or mid 1980s McCullough HS wore a tartan pattern for baseball jerseys (primarily red and green). Only remember seeing them once and not sure it was even a full season. Looked hideous.