• The KillerFrogs

Tank Carder and the 2011 NFL Draft

Houston Frog

I don't think he would leave, and I think he would be able to increase his draft stock with another year shining in the spotlight of his Rose Bowl performance (like Mike M said). Not many people watched him this year, but next year he'll have the whole nation talking about him before the season and is much more likely to get weekly attention. He'll be on the pre-season short list for multiple awards as well.

Also, I think another year of bulking up a little could help him in the eyes of scouts.

All that being said, if he wishes to leave and thinks it's the best call, more power to him. He's been great for TCU.

Ballard

We don't rebuild at TCU anymore..... :biggrin: We just put the next All American in and keep going. This is TCU football you're talking about.

Go Frogs

This. No offense to Tank, because he's been an integral part of our recent success, but there were plenty of people through the years wondering how we would survive after Henson, Phillips, Hawthorne, and Washington all graduated. I'd say it's worked out just fine.

LHCGP has built a hell of a program and I can't say I'm too worried about our defense no matter who we lose in a given year.

Also, I think another year of bulking up a little could help him in the eyes of scouts.

When someone listed him as an inside LB in the NFL, I was a bit surprised, because he seems pretty thin ... look at the now iconic picture of him sacking Tolzein and he doesn't look all that thick. But he's listed at 237 ... if that's true I bet he could carry another 10-15 pounds on that frame pretty easily. Then he really would look like an inside LB.

angelo's frog

My hunch is that there's going to be a lock out. So, if it was me, I'd stay and hope to work my way into first round money. He will probably be a consensus first team All-American next year. That's a good way to bolster your draft stock.

BogeyGolf7

this thought never crossed my mind until I saw the thread title

TCU players do not typically leave early, and the ones that have, it has not worked out very well
I sure hope he stays, but players should always do what they feel is best for them

I personally think that next year, he could have a lot of huge games like he had in the Rose Bowl

57Frog

Not just in this case but in all cases , I feel like if a school makes a 4 to 5 year commitment to a player they also make the same commitment to the school .
TCU , to my knowledge , does not pull scholarships early on a player and the player shouldn't pull themselves from the program that helped them and stayed committed to them . (Just my opinion .)

dawg

This. No offense to Tank, because he's been an integral part of our recent success, but there were plenty of people through the years wondering how we would survive after Henson, Phillips, Hawthorne, and Washington all graduated. I'd say it's worked out just fine.

LHCGP has built a hell of a program and I can't say I'm too worried about our defense no matter who we lose in a given year.

+1

angelo's frog

Not just in this case but in all cases , I feel like if a school makes a 4 to 5 year commitment to a player they also make the same commitment to the school .
TCU , to my knowledge , does not pull scholarships early on a player and the player shouldn't pull themselves from the program that helped them and stayed committed to them . (Just my opinion .)

He redshirted so he has been here 4 years. And, there have been some players that graduate in 4 with another year of eligibility and don't get that scholly for the 5th year. So, it runs both ways and I don't think Tank has any obligation to stay at TCU unless he feels one to his team mates.

However, you're right to some extent. To my knowledge Patterson has never pulled a scholarship of a player before the end of 4 years simply due to lack of ability. I've seen it happen at Baylor and SMU where new coaches arrive and run off players but don't think we have ever done it in football.

Froginexile

What does that have to do with Tank? Wouldn't surprise me if Tank couldn't even tell you that guy's name. Tank should do what's best for him and if leaving early is the answer then good for him. He played at 110% every snap of every game and was largely responsible for arguably the biggest win in TCU history. I won't fault him one bit if he leaves. I also won't lose any sleep about having to replace him with Kenny Cain.

+1

Army Frog Fan

[quote name='GP's Step-Son' timestamp='1294332090' post='743557']
This. Kenny Cain....that boy good.
[/quote]

But is he Randy Watson and Sexual Chocolate good?

DannyAdelante

If I'm him, I leave. He obviously loves the school, but his draft status is as high as it'll go right now IMO. Odds are next season TCU won't go 13-0. He won't be playing in a game as high profile as the Rose Bowl.
He's the best player on the defense and I'd love to see him stay, but I was really impressed by Cain this year. No one will be the emotional leader of the defense like Tank is, but I wouldn't be too worried.

I think he translates well to the pros and will be a tackling machine, but he should definitely get a scouts grade first. I'm thinking he's a similar prospect to James Laurinaitis, DeMeco Ryans or Paul Posluszny - around early 2nd round, but will be a tackling machine in the league.

DannyAdelante

Two side notes:
1) Before the Rose Bowl, I thought he WAS a senior this season. My bad!
2) If Nike decides to release our Rose Bowl jersey for sale, it better come with No. 43 on the back - otherwise I'm not buying it.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
If I'm him, I leave. He obviously loves the school, but his draft status is as high as it'll go right now IMO. Odds are next season TCU won't go 13-0. He won't be playing in a game as high profile as the Rose Bowl.
He's the best player on the defense and I'd love to see him stay, but I was really impressed by Cain this year. No one will be the emotional leader of the defense like Tank is, but I wouldn't be too worried.

I think he translates well to the pros and will be a tackling machine, but he should definitely get a scouts grade first. I'm thinking he's a similar prospect to James Laurinaitis, DeMeco Ryans or Paul Posluszny - around early 2nd round, but will be a tackling machine in the league.

LB is such a physical position, shoulders, back, knees everything takes a beating, if he's the 1-3rd highest rated LB in the draft then he is stupid not to go. For selfish reasons I hope he stays but as highly regarded at Tank is by scouts I'm not holding my breath.

DMFWTX

If Tank believes his draft stock won't get any higher, and if he's going to get a favorable draft position... plus, doesn't he have a kid? I would think he's gone.