• The KillerFrogs

Student Section was PATHETIC last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

allclearforfrogs

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Nov 18 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]77918[/snapback]
I am for starting with the home opener next season, that GP and team go to the West stands instead of student section for the alma mater until the students earn back that priviledge.

You're joking right, the student section makes more noise than the west side even with half of the people. In the student section, you will never get yelled at for standing up and cheering, ever.

Our announcer needs to stop the "and it's third down" thing, it's embarrasing that people have to be told when to get loud.

I remember a couple of times last year he forgot to do it and everyone stayed quiet becuase they hadn't heard "thier command" ....I mean, are you kidding me?

Die horse...die.

FroggieFrog

You people have no clue what your talking about. Inside the game has become more fun than the parking lot because of the TABC. TABC has killed the last 4 tailgates by writing students countless amouts of tickets. Yesterday greek students made a stand by not going to the tailgate (exceptions being sig ep or any other tool bag fraternities) So if TCU wants more students to go watch UNLV football, student life can take care of the TABC problem. Next year will be much worse than this year if TCU does nothing about it.

Goo

QUOTE(Froggy Style @ Nov 18 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]77895[/snapback]
TCU is not any different than any other school. When there are crappy opponents, a large group of the regulars would prefer to stay at the tailgate for their entertainment value. It's the same with any other school in the nation. The only difference is, TCU is so small, if the core fans don't show up, there isn't a replacement group of fans looking to get a ticket on the cheap.

As far as the students go, these people didn't grow up on TCU, and at this point in their life are just interested in maximizing their fun output. Unfortunately, UNLV is not going to satisfy that. They'll show up when the game is meaningful, but there's been too many losses to hold their interest.

Oh, and nobody ever gave a damn about going to the game to see 'the lariats.' Dudes who think fraternities are so cool that they did it twice are just tools...or gay. Nobody goes to a game to watch people on the sidelines...unless it's cheerleaders...and even that's a stretch.

1) You may have a point about the replacement fans stepping up but the fact is OU and Notre Dame always sell out for teams like Tulsa, UAB, and Air Force.

2) I would argue you can maximize your fun output inside the game. Some of my best times in college were gameday, which including going to the game.

3) Never said anyone came into watch the Lariats (that would be like watching grass grow). But these were the leaders and lots of followers simply went into the stadium because all the cools guys left the tailgate and all the girls followed them. The point is we need to the cool kids to go into the stadium and this was some hard evidence of cool kids leading by example to get rest of Greeks inside.

Goo

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Nov 18 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]77918[/snapback]
Yes, the adults that come and stay at the tailgates during the game suck and they are part of the problem, but the students that don't come in suck worse. The student section was an embarassment this season. The problem you have with most rich kids is they are to cool do anything where they are not in control. They have lived privaledged upbringings and tend to be not grateful on going to a TCU game.
I am for starting with the home opener next season, that GP and team go to the West stands instead of student section for the alma mater until the students earn back that priviledge.

Side note: We all talk about TCU marketing to get more people to the games but it doesn't happen because they try nothing new. It really is simple. THe demographic they need to go after is the guy that watches CFB on his couch or in a sports bar on Saturdays. This is a guy that likes CFB but has yet to become a ticket buyer and attend a game. This is the fan TCU has not gone after and this demographic would surely add another 5k to attendence.

Great points. You are only a student once and they really have more of reason to attend than non-alum adults, alums out of town, and alums in general. If you are a current student it's your school and its your team.

I hope the team does its cheer to the West stand instead of to an empty student section.

Goo

QUOTE(FroggieFrog @ Nov 18 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]77964[/snapback]
You people have no clue what your talking about. Inside the game has become more fun than the parking lot because of the TABC. TABC has killed the last 4 tailgates by writing students countless amouts of tickets.

No, I sat in student section and there were few/no Greeks. Yall need to get your act together and start partying on gameday and getting rowdy in the stadium. If TABC busted my tailgate, just move it someone's house in walking distance of stadium or buy flasks and take the whole party into the game.

QUOTE(FroggieFrog @ Nov 18 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]77964[/snapback]
You people have no clue what your talking about. Inside the game has become more fun than the parking lot because of the TABC. TABC has killed the last 4 tailgates by writing students countless amouts of tickets. Yesterday greek students made a stand by not going to the tailgate (exceptions being sig ep or any other tool bag fraternities) So if TCU wants more students to go watch UNLV football, student life can take care of the TABC problem. Next year will be much worse than this year if TCU does nothing about it.

I'm sorry to be such a lame "mom" type, but seriously? You think this is TCU's/TABC's problem? Maybe you students should quit drinking illegally and/or getting falling down drunk and then you could enjoy your tailgate and your football game and not get a ticket! I know obeying laws and having fun seem to be on opposing sides when you are 19-20 years old, but really, they aren't. And to suggest that TCU should call off the TABC (which I'm pretty sure they couldn't do even if they wanted to), is absolutely ridiculous.

Goo

I'll take the other side of that. It's College and you should be drunk and loud at the games. Be smart and buy a flask every Saturday morning. In fact, buy one for your date too (she can put it in her purse). Enjoy college!

allclearforfrogs

QUOTE(BalletFrog97 @ Nov 18 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]77973[/snapback]
Maybe you students should quit drinking illegally and/or getting falling down drunk and then you could enjoy your tailgate and your football game and not get a ticket! I know obeying laws and having fun seem to be on opposing sides when you are 19-20 years old, but really, they aren't.

Wrong, it's college, you're suppost to drink and break the law. Thats how it's been done for hundreds of years. You just have to be smart about it.

I had a blast before I was 21, but never once got a ticket nor caused harm to another individual. And according to my belief structure, the government has no right to but in.

InterestedObserver

I know I'm gonna get fried for this, but I don't really care.

I've been on this board since the original FFF days and follow TCU about as close as any non-TCU alumn I know. I know some of the coaches, some of the players, go to Frog Club events on occasion and married a Horned Frog. We attend 3-4 games a year, but "attend games" might be stretching it.

Maybe I'm different, but I'll give you a few reason I'm one of the folks who spends a great deal more time in the parking lot than in the game.

1. The play on the field is just boring. This is true in good years and bad. I just don't like the style of offense preferred by Patterson. I love his defense, but watching two teams grind out to a field goal contest doesn't do much for me. The exception is when TCU has a healthy LT, Hobbs, Merrill. Brown, Gunn, Hassell, Ballard, etc., but how often is TCU really healthy? It's the style of offense that causes these injuries which frustrates me further.

2. The opponents aren't interesting. I'm not really sure what TCU can do about this. It's my opinion that the MWC is worse than CUSA was, though the exciting teams from CUSA are all in the Big East now with the exception of S. Miss. I don't see the Big 12 offereing a spot anytime soon, if ever, so this may just be the way it is until there is another major reshuffling of the conferences. With parity the way it is in college football, that may happen either sooner than expected or never, depending on which way you think about it.

3. My wife doesn't care. Maybe this should be #1, but it's a good point. The fact is, she'd much rather visit with friends in the parking lot than go into a game. Given some of the better tailgates around the stadium, I don't blame her. I'd rather watch a good game on a big screen, have some good food, visit with friends I don't see much, than go in and watch a less intriguing matchup on the field.

4. The game day production is terrible. I know this will hack some folks off, but even for bigger match-ups, there is nothing about the way TCU handles game-day that says "big time". If you go to a game at LSU, Texas, OU, Tech, etc., it's just all handled better. Having been in both Waco and ACS a few times the last few years, even Baylor does a much better job than TCU. It's all the things people here complain about: The jumbotron, the lack of videos, the lack of music, the horrid restrooms, the stadium itself. I know many here like to talk about ACS being "historic", "quaint", "iconic", and a variety of other descriptions. The fact is it's a relic. The new endzone complex will be great, but the rest of the stadium is in need of major work.

5. TCU fans are a big part of the problem. We all realize how big of a jack-[Deleted] Goo is on this board, but the fact is, there are many TCU fans here in town that are pretty visible and have a bit of "Goo" in them. This is far from an endearing quality and does more to hurt TCU's chances of gaining supporters than just about anything else. TCU and it's supporters make up an incredibly small percentage of the town population comparred with most of the other schools in this region. Fort Worth will never become a "TCU" college town, but I would like to think that over time, enough folks could become TCU fans that the atmosphere would improve. Of course, if they aren't welcomed with open arms, they won't come back. #4 really needs to improve to get these folks to return.

Now, go ahead and flame away all you'd like. These are my perceptions and they come from a person who tries to support TCU, buys tickets, travels to interesting away games, and cares enough about TCU to spend time on this board. Many of my friends went to TCU and I assume I'll spend the rest of my life around TCU since I don't plan to ever move.

It's because I plan to always be here, that I would like to see things improve at TCU. The school and it's supporters are great assets to the Fort Worth community. It would be great for both if more people became aware of how good of an asset there really is hidden on the south side of Fort Worth.

Also, if TCU ever did decide to do a "sweep" to get more folks in the games, it would be a very large mistake in my opinion. At least the folks in the parking lot are coming to TCU to have a good time whether or not that includes going into the game itself. TCU needs as many people as possible equating an enjoyable time with being on campus whether or not that includes sitting in the stands during a football game.

Serving beer inside is a bad idea in my opinion as well for a variety of reasons.

O

Omniscience Frog

QUOTE(Frogs1983 @ Nov 18 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]77937[/snapback]
I know we can all complain about the TCU fans staying outside to tailgate,but what about our MWC opponents traveling numbers?
I was sitting on westside of the staduium,just above UNLV fans.No more than 200 at best.
This MWC travel issue is a big attendance problem!TCU is going to have to decide what they want their football program to be?Stay in a non-BCS Conference with 1000 mile plus travel distances,thus drawing little,if any,opponent attendance numbers,no opponent bands at TCU or vice versa,which contributes to a moribund game experience,or get in a Conference with more regionalized competition,where our opponents can travel by car to TCU,and TCU fans can do the same to their venues.

Lame. You don't blame the opponents fans for the south end of the east stands being nearly as empty as the north end. The visiting fans aren't responsible for 10-12,000 empty seats on the west side of the stadium either.

QUOTE(Frogs1983 @ Nov 18 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]77937[/snapback]
Yeh,I know SMU doesn't travel,but I bet we would get more opponent's fans in the stands if we had driving distance opponents?

So, just what conference do you propose they "get in" that is going to solve these problems as you see them, BSC or non-BSC?

Frog Mom

I had a GREAT time at the game! If you're bored where you sit, come join some of us on the east side on the 50 yd line next year. (There's plenty of room. :wacko: ) If nobody comes to claim the seats, then come on over!

I know it takes some of you out of your comfort zone.......I know it's different from sitting quietly to watch the game.......and I don't know if anybody on here is really serious about changing things or if you just want to complain about everybody else not getting into the game.

But if you are ready for change, and if you are prepared to have some fun football days ahead, then come on! I'm not talkin to everybody.....you know if I'm talkin to you...

I'm issuing a challenge......I DARE YOU! :biggrin:

Any takers?

purpleeyefrog

Maybe I'm different, but I'll give you a few reason I'm one of the folks who spends a great deal more time in the parking lot than in the game.

I sure wish you, and all the others, would come into the stadium before kickoff. That alone would make for a much improved atmosphere. There is much that needs to be done, but leaving the MWC is not one of them. That is our best option at this point. As much as I wish everyone would come into the stadium, I would HATE to see something like this;
[SIZE=12pt]TAILGATING:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]

The UH Athletics Department offers four tailgating and ticket packages. The packages include appropriate tailgating space, tents, tables, chairs, tickets and the opportunity for catering. For more information or to R.S.V.P., contact Brandi Clark at 713-743-9456 or visit, [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_cho...-flyer-tailgate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Please tailgate responsibly – pack-up 30 minutes prior to game time and enter stadium. No tailgating will be allowed in Tailgating Village and lots adjacent to Robertson Stadium (including red and yellow lots) from the start of the game until the beginning of the fourth quarter. If using hot coals or a fire of any kind, extinguish properly and thoroughly for disposal when you return home – not in the parking lot trash containers or on the ground anywhere on campus.[/SIZE]

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
Good post, IO. Honest and frank. We might not want to hear it, but we need to hear it. A few comments:

1. The play on the field is just boring.

I can see how it would be boring for a neutral. For me, it's very exciting because it's TCU and because these days we have a chance to win, which we often didn't really have when I was in school. It's not point-a-minute football, but I'd rather have the team win than be exciting. A little more offensive firepower wouldn't hurt, though, in terms of both winning and being more exciting. We've discussed that on here a few times before, though.

2. The opponents aren't interesting.

True. This is problem No. 1 in my mind. Texans don't care about MWC teams, and MWC teams bring no fans. That's why we MUST have more opponents like Tech come in OOC. Baylor and SMU won't cut it. We need Tech, OU, A&M, Texas (fat chance on those last three coming to FW, I know).

3. I'd rather watch a good game on a big screen, have some good food, visit with friends I don't see much, than go in and watch a less intriguing matchup on the field.

Ouch... Thanks for your honesty. I'm sure a lot of fans feel that way. It hurts to read, though.

4. The game day production is terrible.

Personally, this puzzles me. I'm a minimalist when it comes to sports. I actually prefer a stadium with nothing but the fans, the band and the game on the field. I don't really like Jumbotrons or other modern amenities. However, I understand that I'm not like most fans in that regard. As for the stadium, it's the same thing: I like an old place with character, but most fans want modern creature comforts. We're definitely behind in that sense. BC games are basically college games for pro sports fans, with lots of video, tons of music and pretty nice facilities. I find the whole atmosphere stale, but I guess that's what people want.

5. TCU fans are a big part of the problem.

That's a shame, and it's upsetting to hear. I used to think of TCU as the friendliest place on earth, but I guess frat-guy culture has finally taken hold. I hate to think that TCU fans themselves are driving casual fans away. That really bothers me.

joefrog91

QUOTE(InterestedObserver @ Nov 18 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]77986[/snapback]
1. The play on the field is just boring. This is true in good years and bad. I just don't like the style of offense preferred by Patterson. I love his defense, but watching two teams grind out to a field goal contest doesn't do much for me. The exception is when TCU has a healthy LT, Hobbs, Merrill. Brown, Gunn, Hassell, Ballard, etc., but how often is TCU really healthy? It's the style of offense that causes these injuries which frustrates me further.

There a lot of "big time" programs that have "boring" games, but still have a huge crowd in the stands. If you don't go into the game, then how do you know the game is exciting from one week to the next? Maybe I just like watching football and supporting my team no matter what.

2. The opponents aren't interesting. I'm not really sure what TCU can do about this. It's my opinion that the MWC is worse than CUSA was, though the exciting teams from CUSA are all in the Big East now with the exception of S. Miss. I don't see the Big 12 offereing a spot anytime soon, if ever, so this may just be the way it is until there is another major reshuffling of the conferences. With parity the way it is in college football, that may happen either sooner than expected or never, depending on which way you think about it.

Once again, I've seen other schools sell out their stadium playing a Div II team. You eithe want to support the team or you don't. Don't blame the opponents.

3. My wife doesn't care. Maybe this should be #1, but it's a good point. The fact is, she'd much rather visit with friends in the parking lot than go into a game. Given some of the better tailgates around the stadium, I don't blame her. I'd rather watch a good game on a big screen, have some good food, visit with friends I don't see much, than go in and watch a less intriguing matchup on the field.

You just described a nice evening at home. Why bother coming to the game? Go support some other school.

4. The game day production is terrible. I know this will hack some folks off, but even for bigger match-ups, there is nothing about the way TCU handles game-day that says "big time". If you go to a game at LSU, Texas, OU, Tech, etc., it's just all handled better. Having been in both Waco and ACS a few times the last few years, even Baylor does a much better job than TCU. It's all the things people here complain about: The jumbotron, the lack of videos, the lack of music, the horrid restrooms, the stadium itself. I know many here like to talk about ACS being "historic", "quaint", "iconic", and a variety of other descriptions. The fact is it's a relic. The new endzone complex will be great, but the rest of the stadium is in need of major work.

I'll agree the game day atmosphere could be better, but why try when no one is going to show up? Would having a better atmosphere change any of the other reasons you listed above?

5. TCU fans are a big part of the problem. We all realize how big of a jack-[Deleted] Goo is on this board, but the fact is, there are many TCU fans here in town that are pretty visible and have a bit of "Goo" in them. This is far from an endearing quality and does more to hurt TCU's chances of gaining supporters than just about anything else. TCU and it's supporters make up an incredibly small percentage of the town population comparred with most of the other schools in this region. Fort Worth will never become a "TCU" college town, but I would like to think that over time, enough folks could become TCU fans that the atmosphere would improve. Of course, if they aren't welcomed with open arms, they won't come back. #4 really needs to improve to get these folks to return.

I don't really know what you're going for here. Are you saying TCU fans are trying to exclude other people? I don't know what you mean here.

Now, go ahead and flame away all you'd like. These are my perceptions and they come from a person who tries to support TCU, buys tickets, travels to interesting away games, and cares enough about TCU to spend time on this board. Many of my friends went to TCU and I assume I'll spend the rest of my life around TCU since I don't plan to ever move.

Throwing money at the program isn't the same as supporting the program. It's very noble of you to buy tickets and spend time on this board. However, not going in to the games isn't helping the team one bit.

Also, if TCU ever did decide to do a "sweep" to get more folks in the games, it would be a very large mistake in my opinion. At least the folks in the parking lot are coming to TCU to have a good time whether or not that includes going into the game itself. TCU needs as many people as possible equating an enjoyable time with being on campus whether or not that includes sitting in the stands during a football game.

I don't agree with this at all. It's like the kid that doesn't want to go to school and gets suspended, but then shows up everyday to hang out in the parking lot across the street. I don't expect casual fans or alums to go to all the games, but at least the students should be supporting the team.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Why am I supposed to care about a non-TCU fan alcoholic and his alcoholic wife who don't care about TCU football but come to drink and be seen/socialize in the parking lots? I could not care less what you think of TCU or TCU football. Stay home, stay in the parking lots, go to a bar, who cares?

QUOTE(InterestedObserver @ Nov 18 2007, 03:54 PM) [snapback]77986[/snapback]

I've been on this board since the original FFF days and follow TCU about as close as any non-TCU alumn I know. I know some of the coaches, some of the players, go to Frog Club events on occasion and married a Horned Frog. We attend 3-4 games a year, but "attend games" might be stretching it.

It's because I plan to always be here, that I would like to see things improve at TCU. The school and it's supporters are great assets to the Fort Worth community. It would be great for both if more people became aware of how good of an asset there really is hidden on the south side of Fort Worth.

Serving beer inside is a bad idea in my opinion as well for a variety of reasons.

MoCityFrog

QUOTE(InterestedObserver @ Nov 18 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]77986[/snapback]

At least you are supporting the program at a level and any number of us on here are probably guilty of spending more time in the parking lot than in the stands. But for me it is not about the on field play or the teams. The MWC teams that come to ACS are much better than those that came during the WAC and CUSA years.
My issue, like you pointed out, is with the game day production. It could be much much better. There is no need to repeat what has been posted on here over and over on how to fix it but something needs to change. We can not change the play on the field, it is what it is. But TCU can and should be able to control the other game day events to get people not only to the games but into the stadium. Everything from the food sold to the marketing to the type of performances done at halftime need to be looked at.

Go Frogs!

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Nov 18 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]78003[/snapback]
Why am I supposed to care about a non-TCU fan alcoholic and his alcoholic wife who don't care about TCU football but come to drink and be seen/socialize in the parking lots? I could not care less what you think of TCU or TCU football. Stay home, stay in the parking lots, go to a bar, who cares?

I dont think it is really fair to call someone and his wife an alcoholic just because he goes to a few tailgates. Out of line in my opinion.

macaroni

QUOTE(Frogs On A Plane @ Nov 18 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]77883[/snapback]
Everybody is bitching at the students, but when I walked by the tailgaters right behind the jumbotron there were about a thousand out there watching the OU-Tech game on TV. This was with about 10 minutes left to go in the 2nd quarter. Its not just the students, everyone here sucks.

I agree. I have never paid that much attention to the tailgating scene because I come to watch the games. Yesterday my daughter begged to go up to the top deck and see what it looks like, and since the game was well in hand I walked her up there. As I walked up that ramp, I was shocked to see all the families (some with young kids) out there tailgating. Is it really that exciting to stand by your car in the dark? We're adults now, people - we can pretty much eat food and drink adult beverages anytime we want. How lame is it to make your kids sit out there in the parking lot instead of taking them in to the game and letting them experience football, cheerleaders, Superfrog, etc. I just don't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.