• The KillerFrogs

Student Section was PATHETIC last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goo

QUOTE(TUCK91 @ Nov 18 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]77864[/snapback]
Could it be the Athletic Director of Marketing still does not have a grip on what game day atmosphere should be? One of my biggest issues is the marketing department and always will be until they get it together.

MUSIC SUCKED. How hard would it be to play some cool music.
More fun stuff like Kiss Cam and highlights from past season on Jumbotron. I would love to see Bart Johnson catch on Jumbotron or Godbolt hitting Eric Crouch or Great White hit on Tech. MAKE THE GAME MORE EXCITING! I would like to buy our gameday marketing guys a ticket to a Dallas Mav's game to see how to make a game exciting.

allclearforfrogs

QUOTE(Goo @ Nov 18 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]77871[/snapback]
How Gary Patterson is able to out recruit Tech for some kids is amazing after comparing atmosphere's last night. But he does get kids with Tech offers every year including two of our five commits right now.

If that were all a recruit looked that you might have a point....but academics, town, and the quality of the school play a role.

QUOTE(TUCK91 @ Nov 18 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]77864[/snapback]
Could it be the Athletic Director of Marketing still does not have a grip on what game day atmosphere should be? One of my biggest issues is the marketing department and always will be until they get it together.

Given my recent interaction with said individual I can say that yes, this person has NO CLUE about game day, or much else really.

Goo

QUOTE(BalletFrog97 @ Nov 18 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]77875[/snapback]
Given my recent interaction with said individual I can say that yes, this person has NO CLUE about game day, or much else really.

Who is Director of Gameday Marketing?

Mike Sinquefield, Director of Football Operations
Bryan Broaddus, Assistant Director of Football Operations
Jason Byrne, Director of Marketing
John Festervand, Assistant Director Marketing
Zach Kulesz, Assistant Director
Alex Cunningham, Marketing Assistant
Mandi Knight, Marketing Assistant
Stacy Schirato, Spirit Coordinator
Betsy Mifsud, Administrative Assistant
Sean Conner, Director of Ticket Operations
Chip Heiss, Customer Service Manager
Mitch Walter, Assistant Ticket Manager
Mark Cohen, Director of Media Relations
Andy Anderson, Assist. Dir. of Media Relations
Joe Monaco, Assist. Dir. of Media Relations
Brandie Davidson, Media Relations Assistant
Matt Hoover, Coordinator of Media Relations
Kyle Seay, Media Relations Graduate Assistant
Rob Beuerlein, Media Relations Student Assistant

I HONESTLY THINK THIS PERSON SHOULD BE FIRED. The fly-over was great but we need fun music, exciting video on jumbotron, fireworks, etc. MAKE THE GAME MORE FUN THAN THE PARKING LOT, shouldn't be that tough.

pcf

QUOTE(Frogs1983 @ Nov 18 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]77859[/snapback]
I took some friends to the game last night.Absolutely the worst game atmosphere I have ever seen at a College game.UNLV traveled what,about 150 fans?TCU fans filled up maybe 50% of the stadium?
Watched the end of the Tech-Oklahoma game after I got home.What a difference in game atmosphere.Oklahoma brought their band to the game.Plays was packed,full of electricity.
TCU game yesterday,thought I was at a wake during certain parts of the game!
TCU will never be a 'big time' program as long as we have to play in a Conference where our closest competitor is appx 500 miles away!Makes absolutely no sense.
Opponent fans don't travel well to TCU,don't bring their band.Vice versa when TCU travels to Mountain West opponent sites.
The level of opponent may be better in the MWC,but attendance wise,TCU will never get over the hump given the geographic realities of the MWC.
If TCU ever wishes to get more than 30,000 people to a game on a regular basis,they are going to have to get in a conference with other like minded schools,where their fans can travel by car to TCU in a reasonable time frame,and TCU fans vice versa,or we will continue to see the end of year crowd situation like yesterday.
It was pretty pathetic! :sad:

It was hardly any better attendance-wise with Rice, SMU and Houston in conference, though.

I don't blame our conference mates when the home side of our stadium looks like a ghost town 10 minutes before the game...but I'm tired of thinking about that.

SDSU will be a tough game and I hope the second season Frogs bring their A game.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Everybody is bitching at the students, but when I walked by the tailgaters right behind the jumbotron there were about a thousand out there watching the OU-Tech game on TV. This was with about 10 minutes left to go in the 2nd quarter. Its not just the students, everyone here sucks.

pcf

QUOTE(Goo @ Nov 18 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]77876[/snapback]

The fly-over was great but we need fun music, exciting video on jumbotron, fireworks, etc. MAKE THE GAME MORE FUN THAN THE PARKING LOT, shouldn't be that tough.

Here's my constructive criticism. Focus on football, the real product.

The Frog Alley bands need to be a little more Southern Rock that gets people pumped up. The guy playing yesterday was really good, but his music was a little too moody. More Tom Petty, Allman Bros. It is OK to get the folks pumped up.

Not so many presentations on the field during the game and less thought provoking stuff that takes the edge off. I like that the Frogs support Susan G Komen. I'm less thrilled that we allow it to put football in perspective with talk of death and disease. We enjoy football to get away from contemplating death and disease, don't we? IOW, there has to be a happy medium where we do a good deed, but don't deflate people's attitude with too much depth on sobering topics. Before this is taken out of context, when we support and honor the military, we do it in a positive and basically superficial way. We don't focus on war. Let's BEAT cancer.

Let's get the timing perfected so that we don't have too many things happening at once.

More jumbotron expertise and use the videos at the proper time. Nebraska did it as well as anyone back in 2001.

One more thing on the presentations. Doing too many of them takes the meaning of them away. They just get tuned out like TV commercials.

Find some people on the mics that are PRO-TCU people and enthusiastic about TCU football. Let's get some TCU homers somewhere. I understand the PA guy is limited, but the presentation person could be a homer couldn't they? (We've got a great radio crew. I'm referring to the during the game people on mic.)

I'm always amazed when I see one pumped up fan in the crowd. Think about that. When I see a pumped up group paying attention to the game and rolling the chains, I feel really good.

Gunner

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Nov 18 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]77845[/snapback]
Curious where is the link stating CGP as Top 3 candidate for Mich job?

Les Miles obviously #1 and heard Brian Kelly mentioned but not heard CGP. Several clients are big time Mich supporters and would love to find out more about this.

After watching our pathetic offense this year, I don't think GP will even get a sniff. Les Miles, I hope he goes up there, so he can lose to Ohio State every year. It's OSU and the little eleven. That Michigan job is starting to look like Notre Dame.

Froggy Style

TCU is not any different than any other school. When there are crappy opponents, a large group of the regulars would prefer to stay at the tailgate for their entertainment value. It's the same with any other school in the nation. The only difference is, TCU is so small, if the core fans don't show up, there isn't a replacement group of fans looking to get a ticket on the cheap.

As far as the students go, these people didn't grow up on TCU, and at this point in their life are just interested in maximizing their fun output. Unfortunately, UNLV is not going to satisfy that. They'll show up when the game is meaningful, but there's been too many losses to hold their interest.

Oh, and nobody ever gave a damn about going to the game to see 'the lariats.' Dudes who think fraternities are so cool that they did it twice are just tools...or gay. Nobody goes to a game to watch people on the sidelines...unless it's cheerleaders...and even that's a stretch.

lakefrog

Here we go beating that dead horse again. It's not just the students. Geren and his gang hang out behind the West stands, cooking bar-b-que and looking cool. Large groups of more recent grads hang south of the jumbo tron watching the "BIG GAME" on their big screens while drinking beer and looking cool. Hell, I guess we should just be grateful they buy tickets and grace the general vacenity with their presence. I damn sure don't have any idea what it will take to make people come inside. This topic sucks! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :wacko: :blink: :ph34r: :angry:

pcf

QUOTE(Froggy Style @ Nov 18 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]77895[/snapback]
TCU is not any different than any other school. When there are crappy opponents, a large group of the regulars would prefer to stay at the tailgate for their entertainment value. It's the same with any other school in the nation. The only difference is, TCU is so small, if the core fans don't show up, there isn't a replacement group of fans looking to get a ticket on the cheap.

As far as the students go, these people didn't grow up on TCU, and at this point in their life are just interested in maximizing their fun output. Unfortunately, UNLV is not going to satisfy that. They'll show up when the game is meaningful, but there's been too many losses to hold their interest.

Oh, and nobody ever gave a damn about going to the game to see 'the lariats.' Dudes who think fraternities are so cool that they did it twice are just tools...or gay. Nobody goes to a game to watch people on the sidelines...unless it's cheerleaders...and even that's a stretch.

Another well reasoned post.

If we could get the "Be like everyone else" group and the "Be different" groups both to go to the games because it is both "in" and "different" to attend, it might be a nice crowd.

I think people missed a lot of tough football last night. Both teams were playing and hitting hard.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I thought TCU was going to do parking lot sweeps to try and end tailgates once the game starts and after halftime???

BABYFACE

Yes, the adults that come and stay at the tailgates during the game suck and they are part of the problem, but the students that don't come in suck worse. The student section was an embarassment this season.

The problem you have with most rich kids is they are to cool do anything where they are not in control. They have lived privaledged upbringings and tend to be not grateful on going to a TCU game. The only way the go is because it is the cool thing to do. With tuition, you can't change the type of student but you can change things to get them inside the stadium.

Oh I don't want here from the well-heeled student that his family isn't rich when he drives a 40k vehicle, and lives in house with couple of roomates that his parents pay for. Sorry that maks you rich. Anytime you are college stiudent and don't work and drive a car or truck that is much nicer than average population that puts in you a different socio-economic class. There is nothing wrong with having money but get you smug azz into the stadium.

I am for starting with the home opener next season, that GP and team go to the West stands instead of student section for the alma mater until the students earn back that priviledge.

Side note: We all talk about TCU marketing to get more people to the games but it doesn't happen because they try nothing new. It really is simple. THe demographic they need to go after is the guy that watches CFB on his couch or in a sports bar on Saturdays. This is a guy that likes CFB but has yet to become a ticket buyer and attend a game. This is the fan TCU has not gone after and this demographic would surely add another 5k to attendence.

Deep Purple

QUOTE(pcf @ Nov 18 2007, 08:55 AM) [snapback]77840[/snapback]
Eastsiders rule, westsiders drool. :happy:

Last night, there weren't enough eastsiders to rule anything. The stands were half empty.

The lower-deck westsiders are the mainstay of TCU football attendance. They always have the most consistent attendance numbers. Eastside fluctuates dramatically, depending on student and visiting fan attendance. The most consistent element over there is the band.

QUOTE(Goo @ Nov 18 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]77876[/snapback]

Mike Sinquefield, Director of Football Operations
Bryan Broaddus, Assistant Director of Football Operations
Jason Byrne, Director of Marketing
John Festervand, Assistant Director Marketing
Zach Kulesz, Assistant Director
Alex Cunningham, Marketing Assistant
Mandi Knight, Marketing Assistant
Stacy Schirato, Spirit Coordinator
Betsy Mifsud, Administrative Assistant
Sean Conner, Director of Ticket Operations
Chip Heiss, Customer Service Manager
Mitch Walter, Assistant Ticket Manager
Mark Cohen, Director of Media Relations
Andy Anderson, Assist. Dir. of Media Relations
Joe Monaco, Assist. Dir. of Media Relations
Brandie Davidson, Media Relations Assistant
Matt Hoover, Coordinator of Media Relations
Kyle Seay, Media Relations Graduate Assistant
Rob Beuerlein, Media Relations Student Assistant

I HONESTLY THINK THIS PERSON SHOULD BE FIRED. The fly-over was great but we need fun music, exciting video on jumbotron, fireworks, etc. MAKE THE GAME MORE FUN THAN THE PARKING LOT, shouldn't be that tough.

While I'm sure any number of these individuals have something to do with game-day happenings, my issue is with Jason Byrne, Director of Athletics Marketing. He's the guy on the field, in a jacket and tie, with his clipboard, sending all those people out to the end zone to get whatever it is we're handing out this week and making sure (at least I imagine that's his job) the experience is fun. He's not got his act together in my opinion.

Frogs1983

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Nov 18 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]77925[/snapback]
Last night, there weren't enough eastsiders to rule anything. The stands were half empty.

The lower-deck westsiders are the mainstay of TCU football attendance. They always have the most consistent attendance numbers. Eastside fluctuates dramatically, depending on student and visiting fan attendance. The most consistent element over there is the band.

I know we can all complain about the TCU fans staying outside to tailgate,but what about our MWC opponents traveling numbers?
I was sitting on westside of the staduium,just above UNLV fans.No more than 200 at best.
This MWC travel issue is a big attendance problem!TCU is going to have to decide what they want their football program to be?Stay in a non-BCS Conference with 1000 mile plus travel distances,thus drawing little,if any,opponent attendance numbers,no opponent bands at TCU or vice versa,which contributes to a moribund game experience,or get in a Conference with more regionalized competition,where our opponents can travel by car to TCU,and TCU fans can do the same to their venues.
Yeh,I know SMU doesn't travel,but I bet we would get more opponent's fans in the stands if we had driving distance opponents?
I know TCU jumped to the MWC because they perceived they were a notch above the SMU's,Rice's ,Tulsa's,Houstons's,etc... of the football world,but really,that atmosphere last night almost made me ashamed to be a TCU alum/fan around my guests,who are SEC and Big Ten school alums.Are we really any more"big time" than our former brethren I mentioned above? :angry:

pcf

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Nov 18 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]77925[/snapback]

You must be one of the lame-o westsiders. :tongue:

The west siders have been the biggest disappointment. They should be the mainstays and the diehards and they failed. They come late and their empty padded blue seats stick out like a sore thumb. And they aren't very loud either.

WIN

QUOTE(Frogs1983 @ Nov 18 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]77937[/snapback]
I know we can all complain about the TCU fans staying outside to tailgate,but what about our MWC opponents traveling numbers?
I was sitting on westside of the staduium,just above UNLV fans.No more than 200 at best.
This MWC travel issue is a big attendance problem!TCU is going to have to decide what they want their football program to be?Stay in a non-BCS Conference with 1000 mile plus travel distances,thus drawing little,if any,opponent attendance numbers,no opponent bands at TCU or vice versa,which contributes to a moribund game experience,or get in a Conference with more regionalized competition,where our opponents can travel by car to TCU,and TCU fans can do the same to their venues.
Yeh,I know SMU doesn't travel,but I bet we would get more opponent's fans in the stands if we had driving distance opponents?
I know TCU jumped to the MWC because they perceived they were a notch above the SMU's,Rice's ,Tulsa's,Houstons's,etc... of the football world,but really,that atmosphere last night almost made me ashamed to be a TCU alum/fan around my guests,who are SEC and Big Ten school alums.Are we really any more"big time" than our former brethren I mentioned above? :angry:

No way we should consider a regionalized conference unless it is big 12. You act like we can just waive
a wand and things will change according to our wishes. We are not sec or big ten but we were SWC at
one time and it was not our idea to change that although it can be argued that is was our fault.

Gunner

QUOTE(Goo @ Nov 18 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]77825[/snapback]
The student section has been horrible all season. I'm not sure why but this is the worst attendance from our student section in the 14 years I have followed TCU football. It is pathetic.
I went over and sat in the student section for the 2nd half and it is worse than I thought. When I got up close I realized alot of the people there were adults simply taking a good seat. It appears that many of the GDI's are still coming but zero Greek's. College Football is a huge part of college life and Greek life and I assume these kids are too busy flirting and drinking to come inside for two hours.

ESPNU named Gary Patterson as one of three top choices for Michigan. Could not blame him for leaving after seeing our attendance last night and would blame it on the poor student attendance.

After watching our boring offense, they all went to sleep. Come back, Winder, come back....

Frogs1983

QUOTE(WIN @ Nov 18 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]77945[/snapback]
No way we should consider a regionalized conference unless it is big 12. You act like we can just waive
a wand and things will change according to our wishes. We are not sec or big ten but we were SWC at
one time and it was not our idea to change that although it can be argued that is was our fault.

All I know is this.That presentation yesterday was pathetic.(Not referring to the players)
20,000 fans at best,no opponent travel,no opponent band for increased atmosphere!
A HS football playoff game I attended Friday had better atmosphere/excitement than TCU vs. UNLV.
I know it wasn't our idea to leave the old SWC,but TCU better figure out what it's football future is going to be?
This MWC with opponents scattered over the western USA isn't working from a fan standpoint,in my opinion.
Yeh,I'm like everybody else,I too wish TCU would get in a BCS major Conference.
I don't see it happening though?In that case,we need to make the best of a bad situation.Is the MWC ,terrible TV exposure,restrictive travel,etc... really our best alternative?Just asking the question,that's all. :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.