• The KillerFrogs

Start Getting Your Hopes Up For TCU Basketball

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Goodness. That's 20 years. We win a couple more and no telling how far back things might go. We need some stats guys to put the all time conference wins lists together.
The 97/98 season won't be beat... primarily because we were 14-0 in conference. Well, I guess it's not 100% certain... dare I dream for a 15-0 start in B12 play one year?

ThisIsOurTime

We won 9 big 12 conference games in 1 season.

Before 2016 didn’t we have like 8...total?
If Wikipedia is correct, In the Trent Johnson/Big12 years, we had only 8 conference wins total in 4 years. Going back to the Jim Christian years of the MWC we averaged around 5 conference wins a year.

But we haven't won 9 conference games since Billy Tubbs in 2001 in the WAC. And we haven't won more than 10 conference games since 1998.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCU_Horned_Frogs_men's_basketball

ThisIsOurTime

The 97/98 season won't be beat... primarily because we were 14-0 in conference. Well, I guess it's not 100% certain... dare I dream for a 15-0 start in B12 play one year?
That is a fair point although the quality of conferences is signficantly different. Would be interesting to think that that 98 team would do in this year's conference play and also the inevitable which team is better debate? In fact, I wonder if some players from that team are watching this year's team closely now?

TCUownstheBig12

That is a fair point although the quality of conferences is signficantly different. Would be interesting to think that that 98 team would do in this year's conference play and also the inevitable which team is better debate? In fact, I wonder if some players from that team are watching this year's team closely now?

There were definitely more "easy" wins in the WAC than this historically difficult Big 12...but it's not like we were rolling through the Southland.

You had five teams ranked in the Top 25 at some point in the season; 7 finished in the top 100 RPI:
  • Utah - peak #3 (EOY RPI #30) - National Runner-up
  • New Mexico - peak #8 (EOY RPI #14)
  • TCU - peak #13 (EOY RPI #19)
  • Fresno State - peak #12 (EOY RPI #76)
  • Hawai'i - peak #21 (EOY RPI #45)
  • Wyoming - EOY RPI #52
  • UNLV - EOY RPI #42
You had only four NCAA tournament teams (Utah, New Mexico, TCU, and UNLV)...but the Anthony Carter & Alika Smith-led Hawai'i squad missing out (21-9, #45 RPI) was a bit shocking. Hawai'i, Fresno state, and Wyoming all made the NIT. The conference had no shortage of star players either - from Andre Miller to Lee Nailon, Kenny Thomas to Chris Herren, Michael Ruffin to Jeryl Sasser, Michael Doleac to Anthony Carter.

When looking at the top 3 in the conference, I would argue that Utah, New Mexico, and TCU that year are stronger than Kansas, Texas Tech, and West Virginia this year...but it's too close to call. Utah is flat out better than Kansas, New Mexico-Tech is a toss-up, and I think TCU is stronger than West Virginia. When it comes to the middle/bottom of the conference...it's not even close. This Big 12 league is leaps and bounds better.

I still think the 1997-1998 team, with Lee Nailon in the middle, would simply outscore this team. I don't see Vlad/Hamdy stopping Nailon at all. Kenrich and Noi would provide some unique match-up problems for the Tubbs' squad due to their length on the wings, I think James Penny would likely play more minutes. Seeing Robinson and Fowler square off would be a highlight as well.

Give me:

'98 TCU - 95
'18 TCU - 87

P

purplePPO

There were definitely more "easy" wins in the WAC than this historically difficult Big 12...but it's not like we were rolling through the Southland.

You had five teams ranked in the Top 25 at some point in the season; 7 finished in the top 100 RPI:
  • Utah - peak #3 (EOY RPI #30) - National Runner-up
  • New Mexico - peak #8 (EOY RPI #14)
  • TCU - peak #13 (EOY RPI #19)
  • Fresno State - peak #12 (EOY RPI #76)
  • Hawai'i - peak #21 (EOY RPI #45)
  • Wyoming - EOY RPI #52
  • UNLV - EOY RPI #42
You had only four NCAA tournament teams (Utah, New Mexico, TCU, and UNLV)...but the Anthony Carter & Alika Smith-led Hawai'i squad missing out (21-9, #45 RPI) was a bit shocking. Hawai'i, Fresno state, and Wyoming all made the NIT. The conference had no shortage of star players either - from Andre Miller to Lee Nailon, Kenny Thomas to Chris Herren, Michael Ruffin to Jeryl Sasser, Michael Doleac to Anthony Carter.

When looking at the top 3 in the conference, I would argue that Utah, New Mexico, and TCU that year are stronger than Kansas, Texas Tech, and West Virginia this year...but it's too close to call. Utah is flat out better than Kansas, New Mexico-Tech is a toss-up, and I think TCU is stronger than West Virginia. When it comes to the middle/bottom of the conference...it's not even close. This Big 12 league is leaps and bounds better.

I still think the 1997-1998 team, with Lee Nailon in the middle, would simply outscore this team. I don't see Vlad/Hamdy stopping Nailon at all. Kenrich and Noi would provide some unique match-up problems for the Tubbs' squad due to their length on the wings, I think James Penny would likely play more minutes. Seeing Robinson and Fowler square off would be a highlight as well.

Give me:

'98 TCU - 95
'18 TCU - 87

We all will NEVER know. Go, 2018 Frogs!

P

purplePPO

But that's what makes it fun!

For me debating which team is better is fun but at some point it stops being fun. It solves nothing. Which Cowboys team was better? 1977 or 1992? We all have our thoughts an opinions and that's great but sooner or later the debate and talking needs to stop. I'm enjoying the current ride of our 2018 basketball Frogs. I hope each of you start to enjoy as well, ASAP. Go Frogs!