• The KillerFrogs

So long, Sports Illustrated

tmcats

Non-Swimsuit issue category

i'm not sure if that hockey team victory or jesse owens doing in hitler were america's greatest olympic moment? personally, i'd vote the latter.
s-l1600.jpg

Spike

i'm not sure if that hockey team victory or jesse owens doing in hitler were america's greatest olympic moment? personally, i'd vote the latter.
s-l1600.jpg
You are probably correct but the Hockey meant for me because I was alive and following when it happened.

tmcats

You are probably correct but the Hockey meant for me because I was alive and following when it happened.
old i am but not enough to have witnessed owens embarrass hitler in his fatherland. more than a medal winner, jesse's performance said something important to the world about the nazi nonsense regarding aryan race superiority. while the hockey match was mostly about believing in miracles and wasn't even for the gold medal.

Purp

old i am but not enough to have witnessed owens embarrass hitler in his fatherland. more than a medal winner, jesse's performance said something important to the world about the nazi nonsense regarding aryan race superiority. while the hockey match was mostly about believing in miracles and wasn't even for the gold medal.
I think you're understating the angst of the Cold War by a country mile.

Purp

you're comparing hitler with brezhnev?
Not at all. But the American print media in 1936 wasn't accurately portraying the realities in Germany so precious few Americans even had an idea of the significance of the moment when Owens won. And the fact Roosevelt didn't even acknowledge his accomplishments speaks to the significance our own country placed on it. I'm not suggesting it was right, but it unfortunately was real.

The Miracle on Ice, however, capitalized on the height of anxiety in the Cold War and the underdog Americans beating the impervious Soviets in a sport they never lost at with a bunch of college kids galvanized a country and emotionally changed its perception of the struggle. Where Jesse Owens had half the country ecstatic he had the other half (that was as racist as Hitler) incensed. Team USA had every American in the palm of its hand after Lake Placid.

I think you're overstating what Owens' feats spoke to the world (bc the media didn't communicate it to them) and vastly understating what the Soviets losing in hockey at the height of the Cold War to a bunch of American college kids communicated to the world. I'm not saying the Cold War was won by the good guys bc of that game, but I don't think it's hyperbolic to say Reagan and Gorbachev wouldn't have ended it when they did had that game turned out differently. Owens' accomplishments had zero impact on the holocaust or Hitler's plans to conquer Europe.

Horned Toad

Not at all. But the American print media in 1936 wasn't accurately portraying the realities in Germany so precious few Americans even had an idea of the significance of the moment when Owens won. And the fact Roosevelt didn't even acknowledge his accomplishments speaks to the significance our own country placed on it. I'm not suggesting it was right, but it unfortunately was real.

The Miracle on Ice, however, capitalized on the height of anxiety in the Cold War and the underdog Americans beating the impervious Soviets in a sport they never lost at with a bunch of college kids galvanized a country and emotionally changed its perception of the struggle. Where Jesse Owens had half the country ecstatic he had the other half (that was as racist as Hitler) incensed. Team USA had every American in the palm of its hand after Lake Placid.

I think you're overstating what Owens' feats spoke to the world (bc the media didn't communicate it to them) and vastly understating what the Soviets losing in hockey at the height of the Cold War to a bunch of American college kids communicated to the world. I'm not saying the Cold War was won by the good guys bc of that game, but I don't think it's hyperbolic to say Reagan and Gorbachev wouldn't have ended it when they did had that game turned out differently. Owens' accomplishments had zero impact on the holocaust or Hitler's plans to conquer Europe.
I agree with you 50% because I believe Owens accomplishment was equally as great. It may not have been a rallying point for most of the country, it was the times, but for a man of color to be the reason to disprove that any race was superior to another and to do it so humbly had to be a huge blow to the Aryan superiority theory Hitler espoused. Owens blew it up in one Olympics. Maybe grudgingly, but I’m pretty sure the world noticed. We are still talking about it today.

Last edited:

tmcats

that's a well reasoned argument. my point was that owens' was the greater achievement given the moment, whether recognized or not. i mean, jesus christ's crucifixion - a rather important moment in time - probably wasn't well recognized by the roman media either. :)

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
that's a well reasoned argument. my point was that owens' was the greater achievement given the moment, whether recognized or not. i mean, jesus christ's crucifixion - a rather important moment in time - probably wasn't well recognized by the roman media either. :)
A lesser known aspect of that story was about the guy standing behind Owens on the platform: Luz Long. Long was supposed to be The Guy, yet was beaten, and instead of bitterness in this he became fast friends with Owens. They exchanged letters for the next few years until the War closed things down.

From the Wikipedia: Long and Owens corresponded after 1936. In his last letter, Long wrote to Owens and asked him to contact his son Karl after the war and tell him about his father and "what times were like when we not separated by war. I am saying—tell him how things can be between men on this earth".

Frawg

you're comparing hitler with brezhnev?
1936 Hitler was a relative upstart. The atrocities were years away. He wasn’t yet a pariah. In fact, there were fascist/nazi parties in many counties across Europe including England, France,Spain…

Horny4TCU

No Way [ What the heck? ] GIF by Harlem

Dachau opened in 1933. Long Knives was 1934. Nuremberg laws 1935.

The worst was yet to come for sure, but the atrocities were ongoing during those Olympics.
It may have opened in 1933, but it wasn't a death camp... yet. Kristallnacht wasn't until '38, the camps were primarily up until that point were for Hitlers political adversaries, gays, Jehovah's witnesses, and gypsies.
1936 Hitler was a relative upstart. The atrocities were years away. He wasn’t yet a pariah. In fact, there were fascist/nazi parties in many counties across Europe including England, France,Spain…
I also wouldn't say years away. 1936 and '38 are only two years apart. Which is a lesson we shouldn't forget. The German population turned relatively quickly from a free an oblivious population into a authoritarian nightmare.

So keep your eyes open with all the current talk of WW3, Disease X, etcetera. Covid was the warm up y'all.

Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

Zubaz

It may have opened in 1933, but it wasn't a death camp... yet. Kristallnacht wasn't until '38, the camps were primarily up until that point were for Hitlers political adversaries, gays, Jehovah's witnesses, and gypsies.
Post I responded to said the atrocities hadn't started yet. I consider throwing political adversaries, gays, JW's, and gypsies in Concentration Camps (plus, again, the Nuremberg Laws) pretty darn atrocious, don't you?

Horny4TCU

Post I responded to said the atrocities hadn't started yet. I consider throwing political adversaries, gays, JW's, and gypsies in Concentration Camps (plus, again, the Nuremberg Laws) pretty darn atrocious, don't you?
Yes, but it was a work camp at that point. They weren't gassing them by the 1,000s.

swcfrog

It is a sad day.

In SI's glory days, its writers included Dan Jenkins, Bud Shrake, Frank Deford, Roy Blount Jr., Peter Gammons, Joe Posnaski, Paul Zimmerman, Grant Wahl and many others. I was always excited when the magazine hit our mailbox every week. I would read it cover to cover.

Now, another piece of my youth is gone. Sigh. I will raise a glass to Sports Illustrated tonight - it was a wonderful magazine back in the day.
Remember reading Dan Jenkins article on Goat Hills golf. Read when I was 18 in 1965 before coming to TCU. Laughed my butt off. I still have the reprinted story. A classic.