• The KillerFrogs

So long, Sports Illustrated

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
I have to admit, I didn't know they were still printing a magazine.

Wexahu

Sad day.

I remember looking forward to getting the mail on Wednesdays for years and years back in the day. There are still a few decent articles now and then, but the magazine pretty much sucks these days. I don't think anyone would read it if it didn't say Sports Illustrated on the front. I imagine the subscriber base has gradually died off and there is no turning back.

tetonfrog

It is a sad day.

In SI's glory days, its writers included Dan Jenkins, Bud Shrake, Frank Deford, Roy Blount Jr., Peter Gammons, Joe Posnaski, Paul Zimmerman, Grant Wahl and many others. I was always excited when the magazine hit our mailbox every week. I would read it cover to cover.

Now, another piece of my youth is gone. Sigh. I will raise a glass to Sports Illustrated tonight - it was a wonderful magazine back in the day.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Poorly written/edited article ... repeated graphs ... and didn't mention the recent AI turmoil which has contributed to the publication's misfortunes of late.

4 Oaks Frog

As technology grows, changes and reinvents itself, I see this same sort of thing happening to ESPN. What’s the next new thing that sends current sports information the way of the horseshoe, wagon wheel and Sports Illustrated?…

froglash88

Crazy!

I was mentioned in SI in 1965 because they did a blurb on my father playing at Providence. The next time I was mentioned was 1998 when my player at D2 Barry University was featured as the shortest female in the country who could dunk. Scooby was 5’9” and could throw down the female ball. If you run across that article for some reason, please note that I was grossly misquoted. I said Scooby was a physical phenomenon and the writer wrote that I said she was a certifiable freak of nature. I was definitely disappointed about the misquote.

Purp

I guess the tranny Swimsuit Edition wasn't the financial blockbuster they were hoping for...

SI: "Where did we go wrong?"
I couldn't find it just now searching for it, but saw a Babylon Bee headline today blaming the layoffs on AI using trans dudes as cover models for the Swimsuit issue. I found these gems making fun of the ridiculous recent decisions on the Swimsuit issue. Genius satire from this outfit.

OICU812

My last great SI experience was the one with my HS idol, Sydney Mocrief, dunking on UTerus on the cover. When I say idol, I mean I went to see him play every time he played in Houston, either vs Rice or UH, and I even copied the way he shot free throws. For some weird reason I hung onto that issue for many years. . .
Probably 15 years later, I was living in That City East Of Here, and working out at NDAC. Whatever weight workout I did, would always follow it by shooting some hoops to maintain flexibility.
One Saturday morning I was following said routine, had the hoops gym all to myself, when who should wander in but Sid the Squid himself. I was dumbstruck. When one of his shots (on another goal) came over to me, I corralled it and used it as an excuse to meet, and talked him into a game of Horse.
Later dig out that old SI and left it with the really great dude at the front desk for Sydney to autograph, which he kindly did. What a dude.

1705765770320.jpeg

Last edited:

Chongo94

Crazy!

I was mentioned in SI in 1965 because they did a blurb on my father playing at Providence. The next time I was mentioned was 1998 when my player at D2 Barry University was featured as the shortest female in the country who could dunk. Scooby was 5’9” and could throw down the female ball. If you run across that article for some reason, please note that I was grossly misquoted. I said Scooby was a physical phenomenon and the writer wrote that I said she was a certifiable freak of nature. I was definitely disappointed about the misquote.
You may be able to find it on their vault website.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I couldn't find it just now searching for it, but saw a Babylon Bee headline today blaming the layoffs on AI using trans dudes as cover models for the Swimsuit issue. I found these gems making fun of the ridiculous recent decisions on the Swimsuit issue. Genius satire from this outfit.

The Bee is where the link goeth to. They are probably the most accurate and trustworthy Media outfit on the planet.