• The KillerFrogs

So can we get in the Sugar or no?

BABYFACE

If OU gets a playoff spot, TCU would be in the mix with OSU for the Sugar. Baylor maybe, but they still need to beat UT. QB situation might hurt them.

McFroggin

BABYFACE said:
If OU gets a playoff spot, TCU would be in the mix with OSU for the Sugar. Baylor maybe, but they still need to beat UT. QB situation might hurt them.
False

See Big 12 Sugar Bowl agreement.

We are not an option here. We can pray for an at-large bid though.

rM3panno

This may be worse than health insurance level confusion!

From the CFP website:

Both participants in the Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls are contracted outside the playoff arrange­ment (Big Ten and Pac-12 to Rose Bowl; SEC and Big 12 to Sugar Bowl; ACC to Orange Bowl against the highest ranked available team from the SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame). If a conference champion qualifies for the playoff, then the bowl will choose a replacement from that conference. When those bowls host the semifinals and their contracted conference champions do not qualify, then the dis­placed champion(s) will play in one of the other New Years bowls.

It clearly says the bowl gets to select the replacement.

back_in_black

Moderators
McFroggin said:
False

According to John Denton we are an option and the most likely option. Would assume he knows more than we do.

rifram09

McFroggin said:
False

What are you talking about?

If OU goes to the playoffs, the sugar will take another team from the B12 this year per "the Big 12 Sugar Bowl agreement." OU in the playoffs means they beat OSU today. That means there is either a three way tie for second (OSU-TCU-Baylor) if Baylor beats Texas, or two way tie for second (OSU-TCU) if Baylor loses to Texas.

I think the contract would allow the sugar to choose TCU over OSU in a two way tie scenario, but I'm not sure they would. If Baylor beats Texas to make it a three way tie, then I think there's a decent chance we get selected.

What do I have wrong here?

McFroggin

Ryan Panno said:
This may be worse than health insurance level confusion!

From the CFP website:

Both participants in the Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowls are contracted outside the playoff arrange­ment (Big Ten and Pac-12 to Rose Bowl; SEC and Big 12 to Sugar Bowl; ACC to Orange Bowl against the highest ranked available team from the SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame). If a conference champion qualifies for the playoff, then the bowl will choose a replacement from that conference. When those bowls host the semifinals and their contracted conference champions do not qualify, then the dis­placed champion(s) will play in one of the other New Years bowls.

It clearly says the bowl gets to select the replacement.
That's because some conferences actually "choose" to get a subjective "best matchup". Big12 does not. Big 12 agreement says 2nd place goes and has a 2nd place tiebreaker rules.

Why create a 2nd place tiebreaker rule for no reason?

Pharm Frog

Rifram09 said:
What are you talking about?

If OU goes to the playoffs, the sugar will take another team from the B12 this year per "the Big 12 Sugar Bowl agreement." OU in the playoffs means they beat OSU today. That means there is either a three way tie for second (OSU-TCU-Baylor) if Baylor beats Texas, or two way tie for second (OSU-TCU) if Baylor loses to Texas.

I think the contract would allow the sugar to choose TCU over OSU in a two way tie scenario, but I'm not sure they would. If Baylor beats Texas to make it a three way tie, then I think there's a decent chance we get selected.

What do I have wrong here?
The only thing I see wrong is that the B12 conference published its "Sugar" selection protocol and it ain't us. BUT the B12 office is run by fools so who knows?

BABYFACE

McFroggin said:
False

That make you feel better diaper bag boy?

Looking at the agreement that Panno posted it says the Big 12 champ plays in the Sugar and if champ goes to playoff, the bowl selects another team from that conference. So that could be OSU, TCU or Baylor if OU goes to playoff.

I do know TCU has a chance for Sugar and that is all that matters to me.

BABYFACE

JimSwinkLives! said:
As much as I'd love to see us in the Sugar, I think we land in the Alamo against either Oregon or UCLA.
I would be happy with that. Road trip to San Antonio or Nawlins would be cool.

flyfishingfrog

Depends on if the Sugar is required to use the Big 12 tie breaker rules

If those apply to second place and the Sugar had to use them, then it looks like Baylor will get nod and then embarrass the conference by losing again

If the Sugar can select the team themselves, I would think it would be us or OSU due to baylor QB situation and past record ib Big Bowls

rifram09

Pharm Frog said:
The only thing I see wrong is that the B12 conference published its "Sugar" selection protocol and it ain't us. BUT the B12 office is run by fools so who knows?
This is the first I've heard about B12 "selection protocol." Link?

McFroggin

flyfishingfrog said:
Depends on if the Sugar is required to use the Big 12 tie breaker rules

If those apply to second place and the Sugar had to use them, then it looks like Baylor will get nod and then embarrass the conference by losing again

If the Sugar can select the team themselves, I would think it would be us or OSU due to baylor QB situation and past record ib Big Bowls
Why would the Big 12 have a 2nd place tie breaker rule then?

rM3panno

I still don't see the bowl reps, especially big time (eg, the old BCS bowl) subjecting themselves to who the conference says they have to take beyond the champion. Given the post in the other thread and John Dentons comments my guess is the Sugar Bowl could to give 2 Baylor's about the Big XII tiebreaker rules for second place.

flyfishingfrog

McFroggin said:
Why would the Big 12 have a 2nd place tie breaker rule then?
Just because the B12 has them doesn't mean the Sugar has to follow them - if it's in our Sugar contract then yes. If not, it would be at their discretion. I would imagine the B12 made them to hope and avoid the cluster that was last year - but it looks like it will backfire again if Sux2BU goes to the Sugar and gets beat AGAIN.