• The KillerFrogs

Shocking! Briles Already In Hot Water

MTfrog5

Still one of the worst all time responses from a person who was so out of touch with reality. I still remember watching on tv and they showed him by, what looked like, a fence/gate and he said that. Just unreal.
That and I think second is Phil Bennett telling the media they expect Sam to be back soon

jack the frog

Still one of the worst all time responses from a person who was so out of touch with reality. I still remember watching on tv and they showed him by, what looked like, a fence/gate and he said that. Just unreal.

Briles was still tweeting #getchasome or whatever it was ten days before he was terminated. Mr. Magoo level inability to read a room as someone said. The guy felt he was untouchable.

FrogCop19

I don’t feel badly for any kid caught up in a cheating scandal that they themselves had nothing to do with. People have to suffer the consequences of other people’s unethical, illegal, or unwise decisions throughout life. Good lesson to learn early that who you associate with voluntarily or involuntarily can carry risk. The problem is when bad behavior is excused for the sake of the impact on the innocent or ignorant. This leads to repeated poor decisions.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this statement. That's like saying, "I lost my job because the company got shut down! Some guy at work was lying about his numbers, and our company overextended itself based on his inflated sales reports!" Maybe not the BEST analogy, but the concept holds true. It's not these kids' fault. Is everyone in the whole town supposed to up and move away because briles and his sycophantic documentarian Hawthorne brought his in-laws' kids to town?

Pharm Frog

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this statement. That's like saying, "I lost my job because the company got shut down! Some guy at work was lying about his numbers, and our company overextended itself based on his inflated sales reports!" Maybe not the BEST analogy, but the concept holds true. It's not these kids' fault. Is everyone in the whole town supposed to up and move away because briles and his sycophantic documentarian Hawthorne brought his in-laws' kids to town?

I doubt many people can wrap their heads around how I manifest my feelings about stuff but suffice it to say that I have exceptionally low emotional investment in most things related to youth sports. I rarely feel badly for non-health related things associated with stuff like this and never for issues that most people deem to be unfair.

Never claimed it’s their fault. But life is chock full of challenges and unfairness that are not people’s fault. I’m far more interested in how people handle it than how to “feel” about it (and what they do to prevent it from happening again). In this particular case, it’s so easy to not “feel badly” because this community KNEW what it was getting into and embraced it. No...these kids could not all move away to play football for another school but neither were any of them forced to play football for Mt Vernon. I’ll never be convinced that anything less than 100% of those players and their families knew precisely what was going on and did nothing about it. Many were either cowards or complicit.

In your analogy about employment loss, I wouldn’t feel badly about that either. Feeling badly accomplishes nothing. I didn’t feel badly for the innocents at AA or Enron or for myself when companies I worked for made terrible business decisions that led to layoffs or collapse of entire divisions.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
4243589d9b7c18b889e5d00f2431f45f82fc0ec789c3e171ee98b1bf35c3788d.jpg

FrogCop19

I doubt many people can wrap their heads around how I manifest my feelings about stuff but suffice it to say that I have exceptionally low emotional investment in most things related to youth sports. I rarely feel badly for non-health related things associated with stuff like this and never for issues that most people deem to be unfair.

Never claimed it’s their fault. But life is chock full of challenges and unfairness that are not people’s fault. I’m far more interested in how people handle it than how to “feel” about it (and what they do to prevent it from happening again). In this particular case, it’s so easy to not “feel badly” because this community KNEW what it was getting into and embraced it. No...these kids could not all move away to play football for another school but neither were any of them forced to play football for Mt Vernon. I’ll never be convinced that anything less than 100% of those players and their families knew precisely what was going on and did nothing about it. Many were either cowards or complicit.

In your analogy about employment loss, I wouldn’t feel badly about that either. Feeling badly accomplishes nothing. I didn’t feel badly for the innocents at AA or Enron or for myself when companies I worked for made terrible business decisions that led to layoffs or collapse of entire divisions.

I'm gonna be honest, I debated whether or not to send that reply, because I was concerned about eliciting a negative response. I appreciate your reply and the manner in which it was given.

I am about as opposite as you can get from that, myself. I guess being a coach allows (in some cases, requires) me to see each kid and their life experiences and how it shapes them. I can recall nearly each and every kid I've ever coached, and in some cases kids I've also taught in the classroom as well, and I can't help but be emotionally attached to who they are, where they come from, and what they go through to get out there on the field every day.

Pharm Frog

I'm gonna be honest, I debated whether or not to send that reply, because I was concerned about eliciting a negative response. I appreciate your reply and the manner in which it was given.

I am about as opposite as you can get from that, myself. I guess being a coach allows (in some cases, requires) me to see each kid and their life experiences and how it shapes them. I can recall nearly each and every kid I've ever coached, and in some cases kids I've also taught in the classroom as well, and I can't help but be emotionally attached to who they are, where they come from, and what they go through to get out there on the field every day.

I get it. I really do. There is irony in that some of my formative experiences in this regard are from some very unfair things that happened to me in youth sports. One in youth all-star baseball and once in high school basketball and in both cases it was adults playing pursuing their own interests and agendas. In both cases I benefited greatly from those unfair things: playing American Legion ball with an awesome coach, catching Pavlik, and developing in the game which would not have happened otherwise; and being able to devote more time to debate and competitive speech which opened many doors, earned a bunch of scholarships, developed lifelong skills, and traveled all over the country. Did it sting at the time? Yep. But so glad both things happened and it didn’t take too long to see it.