• The KillerFrogs

SEC scheduling cupcakes this season

MTfrog5

It has been mentioned previously, but SEC teams also get propped up higher for playing each other. They claim they are the best and preseason ESPN polls agree, so they are penalized less for losing to each other and get more street cred for beating each other. So, the losers of their conference games remain highly ranked because they lost to another "great" SEC team and the winners of the games immediately get thrust to top 5 because they beat the almighty SEC team. So, when a number 20 Ole Miss beats a number 1 Alabama, Ole Miss jumps up to top 5 while Alabama stays in the Top 10, because their only loss is to the top 5 Ole Miss juggernaut. It is a circular argument and the 2014 TCU team proved it in the Peach Bowl.
Big 10 as well as 2014 also showed. OOC nobody thought the Big 10 would get in. Then all of a sudden conference play starts and the conference is really strong? Makes sense

Peacefrog

Degenerate
It has been mentioned previously, but SEC teams also get propped up higher for playing each other. They claim they are the best and preseason ESPN polls agree, so they are penalized less for losing to each other and get more street cred for beating each other. So, the losers of their conference games remain highly ranked because they lost to another "great" SEC team and the winners of the games immediately get thrust to top 5 because they beat the almighty SEC team. So, when a number 20 Ole Miss beats a number 1 Alabama, Ole Miss jumps up to top 5 while Alabama stays in the Top 10, because their only loss is to the top 5 Ole Miss juggernaut. It is a circular argument and the 2014 TCU team proved it in the Peach Bowl.
Exactly. And they also get propped up by not playing each other one more time leading to 7 more losses and lower ranked teams. This has been my entire argument. But it continues to be ignored. It’s just math. Who wants to ignore math? Math is cool, right?

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon

bingo_sopranos.gif

Wexahu

You are avoiding my point.

And now you are ignoring your own earlier point about not looking at 1-2 years as a measure of strength of a team. Not long ago Houston was awful and KU was going to play for a national championship until they went ahead and lost to Missouri.

Look we are both using extreme examples. But no matter what KU is a tougher 9th game than any FCS team would be. Notice that Alabama isn’t playing Houston or Boise State.

Yes, it is. But both are completely winnable games. That's like saying x team had a tougher schedule than y team because x played UTEP instead of an FCS team. KU has been almost without question the worst P5 team of all, with the possible exception of Rutgers. Alabama isn't playing Kansas either.

Look, everyone's schedule is unbalanced. Whose is tougher jumps around from year to year depending on who is good, where they play, what teams are avoided in the cross-division draw, etc. It's kind of a silly argument. I imagine when the SEC expands to 9 conference games they'll still win most of their games against other P5 leagues and have just as much representation in the the playoffs as they have up to now because it's a damn good league.

It's funny. All I've basically said is that I think the SEC is the best league in college football. Everyone basically concedes that I think, but it's almost like you're not allowed to say it.

Sebastian S

The SEC is top heavy, as in there is no doubt the SEC has the best football team and possibly coach in Alabama and Saban.

Other than that, I think there are numerous P5 teams that when given a chance, can do very well in the playoffs but they already start at a disadvantage because of scheduling.

Hate to say it but Alabama gets the benefit of the doubt with their scheduling due to what they have accomplished, the other SEC schools are benefiting from that though.

LSU Game Attendee

It's funny. All I've basically said is that I think the SEC is the best league in college football. Everyone basically concedes that I think, but it's almost like you're not allowed to say it.
The SEC is just another good league in college football. I'll concede that some years it's the best. The best possible comparison between leagues came in 2012 when TAMU and Mizzou B12 rosters were injected into the myth. They both fared about just as well as they ever had in the B12.

The ACC and SEC are the top two leagues at gaming the rankings.

They don’t beat their chest because they play 8 conference games. They beat their chest because, more often than not, when they play P5 teams from other conferences, they win. More often than not doesn’t mean always but still. I think their OOC scheduling stinks for the most part too but that doesn’t mean top to bottom that conference doesn’t have the best, deepest group of teams. It is what it is. It’s the best college football league, anyone who doesn’t get that is almost blind IMO. The other four leagues are just fine though.
6-9 versus the other Power5 conferences during last season, 23-28 during the last four. Take away the “top” team (Bama) and it’s far worse. Go play in traffic, dork.

Wexahu

The SEC is top heavy, as in there is no doubt the SEC has the best football team and possibly coach in Alabama and Saban.

Other than that, I think there are numerous P5 teams that when given a chance, can do very well in the playoffs but they already start at a disadvantage because of scheduling.

Hate to say it but Alabama gets the benefit of the doubt with their scheduling due to what they have accomplished, the other SEC schools are benefiting from that though.

Every league is top heavy. I don't think the 4th, 5th and 6th best teams in the SEC are any worse than the 4th, 5th and 6th best teams from any other league. In fact, they are probably better. And I know the worst teams in the SEC are better than the worst teams from other leagues.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Every league is top heavy. I don't think the 4th, 5th and 6th best teams in the SEC are any worse than the 4th, 5th and 6th best teams from any other league. In fact, they are probably better. And I know the worst teams in the SEC are better than the worst teams from other leagues.
You said every league is top heavy. Then you go on to say that the SEC is better from top to bottom.

Mean Purple

You said every league is top heavy. Then you go on to say that the SEC is better from top to bottom.
ESPN has refuted the claim that the SEC is better top to bottom. They may not know it, but they have been doing it for two weeks.

"Big 12 won't get in because it will be too hard to get through that league without 2 losses. There are too many strong teams. But it the SEC, it is unlikely the other teams can keep up with Bama and Georgia...yada, yada, yada"

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
ESPN has refuted the claim that the SEC is better top to bottom. They may not know it, but they have been doing it for two weeks.

"Big 12 won't get in because it will be too hard to get through that league without 2 losses. There are too many strong teams. But it the SEC, it is unlikely the other teams can keep up with Bama and Georgia...yada, yada, yada"
I trust nothing those snakes have to say. It’s all a script.

Spike

Instead, ad a G-5 "bodybag", highly beatable but at FBS level. (NM, TxSt, UTEP, Arky St, UT-SA, Tulsa, either 1 of the 2 U of LAs., etc)

I would like to go a bit higher up the food chain. maybe a UH or Boise, otherwise a midpack P5 school, like a Purdue. If SMU ever got and stayed more competitive my analysis might change.

Spike

2 little data points that are commonly left out of the SEC love fest:

1. While they probably have the most good teams of any conference, because they are so big they don't always play each other. Bama did not face UGA in regular season this last year.

2. Not only are they playing FCS teams, but it's it generally not North Dakota State, Montana, Sam Houston State, Appalachian, etc.

BONUS POINT: I can't help but wonder what would happen to the SEC love fest if Vandy were to elevate their program to the point where they were consistently playing for the Conference/National championships.