• The KillerFrogs

SEC scheduling cupcakes this season

Wexahu

• South Carolina: Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Chattanooga, at Clemson
One Word - BRUTAL

That's actually not too bad. Sure, CC and Chatanooga are snoozers but Marshall is usually at least a respectable program and AT Clemson might be the toughest OOC game any P5 team plays all year.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I respect the idea of playing a decent team on a neutral site for game 1. Bama has done it for years. That said I think the way we did it this year is perfect. Start w a bodybag at home, then buildup to SMU and not much of a road trip, and then play the big boy in game 3. The key is a gradual progression. I just hope SMU on a Friday a week before OSU is not a trap.
Alabama has only played a non conference true road game twice since Saban has been coach. Twice. One was Duke. They, and the SEC as a whole, have figured out how to game the system and it’s working.

Big10 and Pac12 play 9 Conference games and no FCS (I believe). The SEC would have to play two P5 teams in non con to get even with almost every non ACC team (also 8 conf games).

Peacefrog

Degenerate
That's actually not too bad. Sure, CC and Chatanooga are snoozers but Marshall is usually at least a respectable program and AT Clemson might be the toughest OOC game any P5 team plays all year.
So they play 9 P5 games. Just about every other Conference plays 10 or 11. Look at UT - Maryland, USC and 9 conf games. It’s not equal.

Wexahu

So they play 9 P5 games. Just about every other Conference plays 10 or 11. Look at UT - Maryland, USC and 9 conf games. It’s not equal.

Yes, it not equal. But 9 ACC, Pac 12, or Big 10 games isn't equal to 9 SEC games either.

I get your point and it is kind of BS that the SEC doesn't play 9 conference games, but at the end of the day those SEC schedules aren't any easier than other leagues. If TCU were put in the SEC tomorrow and was able to add another FCS team to the schedule I wouldn't feel any better about our chances for the playoffs or 10 wins or whatever.

West Coast Johnny

I hate the "What about argument" which avoids the original question.

Candidate A said he was in favor of lowering the deficit, but failed to present a balanced budget to Congress.

Candidate A responds, "What about Candidate B's legal troubles with law enforcement?"

Obviously, West Coast Johnny has no defense or explanations for the SEC scheduling D-2 schools 4 times a season.

I did notice that Ole Miss plays at TTech this year.
I don't understand your lunatic ramblings. We are living in a glass house and throwing stones.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Yes, it not equal. But 9 ACC, Pac 12, or Big 10 games isn't equal to 9 SEC games either.

I get your point and it is kind of BS that the SEC doesn't play 9 conference games, but at the end of the day those SEC schedules aren't any easier than other leagues. If TCU were put in the SEC tomorrow and was able to add another FCS team to the schedule I wouldn't feel any better about our chances for the playoffs or 10 wins or whatever.
SEC East or West?

I don’t disagree there is more talent in the SEC overall but those teams also went 2-5 against other conferences in bowl games last year. Wake Forest beat Aggy. In a shootout. Does Wake Forest scare you as a TCU opponent? Me either. I just think the SEC defense thing is overblown because of pedestrian offenses. I think the unbalanced scheduling especially with FCS late in season to get an extra bye week basically is messed up. And the one thing that has to be considered is that playing 8 Conference games means 7 less guaranteed losses for the Conference. So their records are better making their rankings better making their SOS and SOR better. Just think, if they had been playing 9 conf games then the division cross over games would happen more often naturally. What if Alabama has to play UGA in regular season last year? Then one or both of them may not be in playoffs. They avoid that potential pitfall as often as possible by scheduling like they do.

Kudos to them. They gamed the system and reap the benefits. I’m not buying that as a Conference top to bottom they are significantly better teams. Better players generally yes.

Although did you see ESPN put out a top 10 players in the country list recently. You had to get to number 9 before an SEC team made the list with Stidham. But in typical ESPN fashion they included below it an 11th player presumably to get Another SEC guy on there. Top ten list. With eleven players. Think that happens if number 11 is Darius Anderson? Or Kyler Murray?

Whew. I need a drink.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
That is true this year. Looking ahead at the next 15 years or so... we have a bunch of middle of the pack (at best) major conference teams like Purdue, Colorado, Cal, North Carolina, Duke.
So when the SEC and ACC are playing no more than 9 P5 games in the regular season younare advocating we step up and play 11? That is a distinctly unfair advantage for 40 percent of the conferences. When they all play balanced schedules I would be all in. Now? That would be a dumb move.

UT does it. But they can because even when they lose they still win in money and recruiting.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Alabama has basically an 80percent chance or better to win every game but one on their schedule. It can’t be that tough a division or Conference.

(I think FPI is a silly made up formula that gets the results ESPN wants so we aren’t talking gospel here)

West Coast Johnny

So when the SEC and ACC are playing no more than 9 P5 games in the regular season younare advocating we step up and play 11? That is a distinctly unfair advantage for 40 percent of the conferences. When they all play balanced schedules I would be all in. Now? That would be a dumb move.

UT does it. But they can because even when they lose they still win in money and recruiting.
Yes, I prefer watching games like vs Ohio State in prime time rather than broiling in the heat and watching TCU stomp on an HBU 56-0 when it is 102 degrees out. I understand that college football is'nt fair and that teams like in the SEC and elsewhere (including us) put pleanty of body bags on the schedule to pad our win total so we can all slap each other on the back and talk about how great we are.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Yes, I prefer watching games like vs Ohio State in prime time rather than broiling in the heat and watching TCU stomp on an HBU 56-0 when it is 102 degrees out. I understand that college football is'nt fair and that teams like in the SEC and elsewhere (including us) put pleanty of body bags on the schedule to pad our win total so we can all slap each other on the back and talk about how great we are.
I would also like 12 P5 games. But they won’t all be in prime time. And not before every team in every conference agrees to balance their schedule accordingly. To do so before that happens would be dumb beyond belief.

Wexahu

SEC East or West?

I don’t disagree there is more talent in the SEC overall but those teams also went 2-5 against other conferences in bowl games last year. Wake Forest beat Aggy. In a shootout. Does Wake Forest scare you as a TCU opponent? Me either.

I don't look at results from one year or two years and form my opinions from that. The SEC is full of large state schools crazy about football with huge budgets smack dab in the middle of some of the best recruiting territory in the country. For all the grief teams like Tennessee, Florida and A&M get for their recent struggles those are programs that have a history of some fairly significant sustained success. Then you add on to those Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Auburn and you've got seven pretty major programs. I'm sorry, but schools like West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State just don't compare when you consider the history and overall potential of the programs.....strictly because of location if nothing else.

And the lowly SEC teams (Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina and Vandy) are on average much stronger than the Kansas's and Iowa State's.....again, simply because of location and resources more than anything. I'm not saying Iowa State wouldn't beat Missouri or Kentucky this year, they might if they played, I'm just saying if I were to predict who would have a better team over the next 20 years, I'd pick all those teams except possibly Vandy over Iowa State.

I'm not saying this to say the Big 12 sucks or anything because it clearly doesn't, and the fact that all the teams play each other makes the conference schedule tougher than it otherwise would be, but the 8-game SEC schedule isn't any "easier" than a 9-game Big 12 schedule.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I don't look at results from one year or two years and form my opinions from that. The SEC is full of large state schools crazy about football with huge budgets smack dab in the middle of some of the best recruiting territory in the country. For all the grief teams like Tennessee, Florida and A&M get for their recent struggles those are programs that have a history of some fairly significant sustained success. Then you add on to those Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Auburn and you've got seven pretty major programs. I'm sorry, but schools like West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State just don't compare when you consider the history and overall potential of the programs.....strictly because of location if nothing else.

And the lowly SEC teams (Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina and Vandy) are on average much stronger than the Kansas's and Iowa State's.....again, simply because of location and resources more than anything. I'm not saying Iowa State wouldn't beat Missouri or Kentucky this year, they might if they played, I'm just saying if I were to predict who would have a better team over the next 20 years, I'd pick all those teams except possibly Vandy over Iowa State.

I'm not saying this to say the Big 12 sucks or anything because it clearly doesn't, and the fact that all the teams play each other makes the conference schedule tougher than it otherwise would be, but the 8-game SEC schedule isn't any "easier" than a 9-game Big 12 schedule.
It’s exactly one game easier. It would have been awesome if we avoided OU due to scheduling last year. Then we only have one loss heading into championship game. Two losses and a NY6 bid wrapped up after. So, yes 8 is easier than 9.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Also one less chance to lose in Conference is one less chance of missing the conf champ game. If you think it doesn’t matter think about Iowa State last year. We had to play them. 8 or 9 Times out of 10 the frogs would win that game. But if you don’t play the extra conf game at all the odds of losing are exactly zero. It’s easier with 8.

I’m going to get t shirts made.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
SEC East or West?

I don’t disagree there is more talent in the SEC overall but those teams also went 2-5 against other conferences in bowl games last year. Wake Forest beat Aggy. In a shootout. Does Wake Forest scare you as a TCU opponent? Me either. I just think the SEC defense thing is overblown because of pedestrian offenses. I think the unbalanced scheduling especially with FCS late in season to get an extra bye week basically is messed up. And the one thing that has to be considered is that playing 8 Conference games means 7 less guaranteed losses for the Conference. So their records are better making their rankings better making their SOS and SOR better. Just think, if they had been playing 9 conf games then the division cross over games would happen more often naturally. What if Alabama has to play UGA in regular season last year? Then one or both of them may not be in playoffs. They avoid that potential pitfall as often as possible by scheduling like they do.

Kudos to them. They gamed the system and reap the benefits. I’m not buying that as a Conference top to bottom they are significantly better teams. Better players generally yes.

Although did you see ESPN put out a top 10 players in the country list recently. You had to get to number 9 before an SEC team made the list with Stidham. But in typical ESPN fashion they included below it an 11th player presumably to get Another SEC guy on there. Top ten list. With eleven players. Think that happens if number 11 is Darius Anderson? Or Kyler Murray?

Whew. I need a drink.
Not the first time they’ve done 11 in a top 10 list to squeeze one more SEC player/team in there. How darning obvious can you be?