• The KillerFrogs

SEC best conference .?. or

asleep003

They were when it mattered.
Just another example of many, how the SEC has yet to prove, over the past 3 years, that today, they should be anointed superior respect. above the rest of P5. Still grant that they have won 2 of the CFP crowns over the past 5 years. But nothing else hints at superiority over most of the others, via results. Still waiting on data that says so.?.

HG73

Just another example of many, how the SEC has yet to prove, over the past 3 years, that today, they should be anointed superior respect. above the rest of P5. Still grant that they have won 2 of the CFP crowns over the past 5 years. But nothing else hints at superiority over most of the others, via results. Still waiting on data that says so.?.
The key to winning a natty is getting to play for a natty. Alabama has a free pass to the tournament every year whether they even win their division or not.

Wexahu

The key to winning a natty is getting to play for a natty. Alabama has a free pass to the tournament every year whether they even win their division or not.

Total BS statement there. Alabama has gotten a chance to play for the Title every year not because of any kind of free pass, but because they are 61-3 since 2014 playing in what is generally considered the best conference division in all of football.

HG73

Total BS statement there. Alabama has gotten a chance to play for the Title every year not because of any kind of free pass, but because they are 61-3 since 2014 playing in what is generally considered the best conference division in all of football.
When you don't win your division you shouldn't play for a national championship. Period. Otherwise the regular season is worthless.

Spike

When you don't win your division you shouldn't play for a national championship. Period. Otherwise the regular season is worthless.

I don't disagree per se, but just like when OSU was picked over us in 2014 they kind of ratified a bad decision by beating 2 quality teams to win the whole thing.

HG73

I don't disagree per se, but just like when OSU was picked over us in 2014 they kind of ratified a bad decision by beating 2 quality teams to win the whole thing.
And we should have had the opportunity to beat two quality teams and win the whole thing.

Spike

Someone from the SEC has won it almost every year in the last 10-12 years. I don't think that means Vandy or Miss State or whatever mid pack team is anything special, but the top end of the SEC is pretty darn good.

Still want more than 4 for the playoffs.

Spike

And we should have had the opportunity to beat two quality teams and win the whole thing.

Absolutely. But the "data points" they refuse to acknowledge is butts in seats and TV ratings. When we are sending 20,000 to Jerry World for important games we are not helping our cause.

Wexahu

Well, Alabama had just as much right to claim a division title as we did a conference title, unless you think conference rules to break a tie really mean anything. I suppose if the SEC commissioner comes out and says all teams that tie for the division title will be declared division champs would really change things, right? The bottom line is Alabama made it in the year they "didn't even win their division" because there wasn't a good other option, unless you think 2-loss Ohio State who lost by 30 points to Iowa should've made it instead. You're just pissed that Alabama is really good and always makes it, if TCU were in their exact position you wouldn't be making that argument. I'm 100% sure of that.

Wexahu

Absolutely. But the "data points" they refuse to acknowledge is butts in seats and TV ratings. When we are sending 20,000 to Jerry World for important games we are not helping our cause.

Why does everyone insist on ignoring facts? Our situation in 2014 and Bama in 2017 aren't remotely comparable, so why make that comparison? And Ohio State probably sends more fans and generates better TV ratings than about anyone and they've gone 57-6 and are 2/5 in playoff appearances.

Spike

Why does everyone insist on ignoring facts? Our situation in 2014 and Bama in 2017 aren't remotely comparable, so why make that comparison? And Ohio State probably sends more fans and generates better TV ratings than about anyone and they've gone 57-6 and are 2/5 in playoff appearances.

Not ours, but Ohio States. In 2014 there were 6 teams with colorable arguments for 4 spots. 2 of those 6 were small private schools. OSU was going to be a bigger revenue generator than TCU or Baylor, plus as a side benefit by leaving us both out they were able to avoid the argument of TCU having a better body of work while Baylor had head to head.

I don't remember who got left out in 2017.

asleep003

Someone from the SEC has won it almost every year in the last 10-12 years. I don't think that means Vandy or Miss State or whatever mid pack team is anything special, but the top end of the SEC is pretty darn good.

Still want more than 4 for the playoffs.

Granted SEC has won 6 of the last 10 D1 championships(2 of the past 6).

Not sure why few keep going back over a half decade ago, when the thread is a
debate of the SEC's dominance presently or lack there of, the past 3 seasons.
Again, no noticeable real evidence/results over this period... Nada !!. And none
offered by anyone.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Granted SEC has won 6 of the last 10 D1 championships(2 of the past 6).

Not sure why few keep going back over a half decade ago, when the thread is a
debate of the SEC's dominance presently or lack there of, the past 3 seasons.
Again, no noticeable real evidence/results over this period... Nada !!. And none
offered by anyone.

Interconference records from 2016-2018
1. Big 10 (35-26)
2. SEC (35-35)
3. Pac 12 (21-21)
4. ACC (34-36)
5. Big 12 (21-25)

NFL draft picks from 2016-2018
1. SEC (3.74 per school/year)
2. Big 10 (2.74)
3. Pac 12 (2.72)
4. ACC (2.71)
5. Big 12 (2.00)

I'm not sure what other measure you'd want to use. Granted, there isn't that much disparity in the inter-conference records, but I think the number of draft picks selected each year speaks to the overall talent level that a conference has. And I'm not sure why 3 years is some kind of magic number, conference reputations aren't built on three years results. The SEC has five programs that have won National Titles in the last 20 years, and that doesn't even include Georgia who looks like they'll have a decent chance to win one in future years. That is unprecedented. I don't know what point you're trying to make, you seem to be making the case that the Big 12 is just as good by referencing some obscure TCU vs the SEC stat.....what conference do YOU think is the best? And what do you have to back up that case?

asleep003

Interconference records from 2016-2018
1. Big 10 (35-26)
2. SEC (35-35)
3. Pac 12 (21-21)
4. ACC (34-36)
5. Big 12 (21-25)

NFL draft picks from 2016-2018
1. SEC (3.74 per school/year)
2. Big 10 (2.74)
3. Pac 12 (2.72)
4. ACC (2.71)
5. Big 12 (2.00)

I'm not sure what other measure you'd want to use. Granted, there isn't that much disparity in the inter-conference records, but I think the number of draft picks selected each year speaks to the overall talent level that a conference has. And I'm not sure why 3 years is some kind of magic number, conference reputations aren't built on three years results. The SEC has five programs that have won National Titles in the last 20 years, and that doesn't even include Georgia who looks like they'll have a decent chance to win one in future years. That is unprecedented. I don't know what point you're trying to make, you seem to be making the case that the Big 12 is just as good by referencing some obscure TCU vs the SEC stat.....what conference do YOU think is the best? And what do you have to back up that case?

Sorry … DRAFT PICKS have absolutely NOTHING to due with best conference or dominance today, especially not the past 3 years. Only results can do that. others refered those TCU thingys… don't make this about me … Let;s stay on topic.

And obviously we're talking football on this thread. But if you really want to go there(misdirecting the focus), the PAC 12 dominates NCAA Team Championships.more than double any other conference. So in you're thinking, the best conference or most dominant is the PAC12.?.

Most of this thread over and over has acknowledge the dominance of SEC recruiting(football that is), but where are their results/performance on the field.?. still waiting.... if you have not dominated anybody the past few years, you;re no longer the dominant league ... .

So, is it the coaching over all/ the primadonna syndrome(as in UT the previous 10 years), or what.?. Performance wise(past 3 seasons), they've shown no evidence of dominance in todays D1.

Don't understand the thinking that the dominant conference TODAY is based on Performance/Results previous to the past few years.?. Historically yes, no one argues that. Today, SEC is no longer the dominant league, their record exemplifies that ! There is no dominant league … presently.

Last edited:

H0RNEDFR0G

Not ours, but Ohio States. In 2014 there were 6 teams with colorable arguments for 4 spots. 2 of those 6 were small private schools. OSU was going to be a bigger revenue generator than TCU or Baylor, plus as a side benefit by leaving us both out they were able to avoid the argument of TCU having a better body of work while Baylor had head to head.

I don't remember who got left out in 2017.

In 2017 it was Ohio State that got snubbed. They were the B1G champ and were 11-2 at the time of the final ranking. One loss was to OU (#2 seed in playoff). The other was to a lousy 7-5 Iowa team. Alabama didn't even play in the SEC Championship game that year and at the time of their selection they were 11-1.

In 2014 Conference Championships and a 13th data point mattered, in 2017 they didn't. The 2014 TCU snub is the reason the B12 added a conference championship game; but it couldn't be put into place until 2017. Ironically 2017 was the first time that you didn't need to win a conference championship game to make the playoff.

Wexahu

In 2017 it was Ohio State that got snubbed. They were the B1G champ and were 11-2 at the time of the final ranking. One loss was to OU (#2 seed in playoff). The other was to a lousy 7-5 Iowa team. Alabama didn't even play in the SEC Championship game that year and at the time of their selection they were 11-1.

In 2014 Conference Championships and a 13th data point mattered, in 2017 they didn't. The 2014 TCU snub is the reason the B12 added a conference championship game; but it couldn't be put into place until 2017. Ironically 2017 was the first time that you didn't need to win a conference championship game to make the playoff.

You're leaving out a very important difference between 2014 and 2017 (I'm sure very intentionally) because it doesn't help your argument at all, but I'm sure you don't care. And who the hell cares if Alabama didn't play in the SEC championship game? We didn't play in the Big 12 Championship game either, and if the Big 12 was split into divisions like the SEC we still wouldn't have played in it.

If TCU was in Bama's position in 2017, there is no way in hell you're making the same argument, that Ohio State got snubbed. None.

H0RNEDFR0G

Comparing 2017 Alabama to 2014 TCU on selection day is fun.

2014 TCU
Points per game: 46.3
Points per game allowed: 19.4
Margin of Victory: +26.9
Wins over top 25: 4
Record: 11-1
Loss on the road to #5 ranked rival by 3
Conference Co-Champion

2017 Alabama

Points per game: 36.4
Points per game allowed: 12
Margin of Victory: +24.4
Wins over top 25: 3
Record 11-1
Loss on the road to #6 ranked rival by 12
Did not play in Conference Championship game

Alabama is ranked #1 in the CFP poll week 12, they lose and fall 4 places to #5 for week 13. They don't play a game the last week of the season and go up one spot to #4 to make the playoff.

TCU is ranked #3 in week 14, beats Iowa State 55-3 and goes down 3 spots in the final ranking to finish at #6.

Last edited:

H0RNEDFR0G

You're leaving out a very important difference between 2014 and 2017 (I'm sure very intentionally) because it doesn't help your argument at all, but I'm sure you don't care. And who the hell cares if Alabama didn't play in the SEC championship game? We didn't play in the Big 12 Championship game either, and if the Big 12 was split into divisions like the SEC we still wouldn't have played in it.

If TCU was in Bama's position in 2017, there is no way in hell you're making the same argument, that Ohio State got snubbed. None.

You're assuming Baylor and TCU would be in the same division, it's entirely possibly that we meet Baylor in the CCG. Under the current CCG rules we would've played Baylor in the game as we both only had 1 loss and Kstate had 2. Also in 2017 the team that beat bama ALSO didn't win the conference championship, they lost to Georgia! Talk about a quality loss.

I would if the reason we were told the reason we were snubbed was a "lack of 13th data point".

Wexahu

You're assuming Baylor and TCU would be in the same division, it's entirely possibly that we meet Baylor in the CCG. Under the current CCG rules we would've played Baylor in the game as we both only had 1 loss and Kstate had 2. Also in 2017 the team that beat bama ALSO didn't win the conference championship, they lost to Georgia! Talk about a quality loss.

I would if the reason we were told the reason we were snubbed was a "lack of 13th data point".

With all due respect, stop being willfully stupid. You don't need a 13th data point if you've only lost one game and the team you're being compared to lost twice, with one being a 30+ point loss to Iowa. I'm sorry, but if you don't understand the major difference there, you're a total dumbass.

And I repeat, if TCU was in Bama's shoes in 2017 and TCU was selected ahead of OSU there is no way in hell you'd be saying OSU got snubbed. And you know it. So just give it up.