• The KillerFrogs

SEC best conference .?. or

asleep003

Is it as much about perception and marketing. They obviously crank out the top recruiting classes by far as a conference. It's one of the 3 largest P5 leagues. They usually have the top or 2 to 3 top 5 rankings. But there are conflicting results.

a) B12 was the dog in all 7 bowl games this year, but won 4 of them.

b) B12 went 3-1 against SEC opponents during this holiday bowl season.

C B12 is the only P5 conference, the past 3 seasons, to have a winning bowl record.

D. SEC was the only P5 that did not have a winning bowl records the past 3 seasons.

So are they the most talented league with 2-4 of the top teams each year.?.
Does the coaching of the remaining teams fall below their team's talent level.?.
And is that going to be changing soon ?

Last edited:

Wexahu

It is without a doubt the best football conference and I also would like to see them play 9 conference games. It’s bs that they don’t.

asleep003

It is without a doubt the best football conference and I also would like to see them play 9 conference games. It’s bs that they don’t.
No one is denying the conference's extreme talent or top 2-4 teams each year...just wonder why their bowl output is so modest and underwhelming.

Wexahu

No one is denying the conference's talent or top 2-4 teams each year, Just wonder why their bowl out put is so modest and underwhelming.

Dont know, but it usually isn’t. One reason might be that they probably have more early NFL entrants than most leagues but I don’t know that for sure. I’m just saying top to bottom it’s the best league, I don’t think that’s really even up for debate. Doesn’t mean they win all the time. Take the top 2-3 teams out of any league and you mostly have a bunch is really average teams.

asleep003

QUOTE="Wexahu, post: 2688947, member: 72863"]Dont know, but it usually isn’t. One reason might be that they probably have more early NFL entrants than most leagues but I don’t know that for sure. I’m just saying top to bottom it’s the best league, I don’t think that’s really even up for debate. Doesn’t mean they win all the time. Take the top 2-3 teams out of any league and you mostly have a bunch is really average teams.[/QUOTE]

Well, if that's the case, they're sure not proving it on the field, against other league teams with similar records/rankings. That's really not up for debate.

Of 130 D1 schools, the SEC has the following Rivals team recruiting rankings, in their Top 20 the past 5 seasons:
2018 - 8
2017 - 8
2016 - 8
2015 - 8
2014 - 10 ... 5 in the Top 10

So a dozen or 2 JR 4 and 5*s leave the SEC early... and are replaced by another dozen or 2 Soph 4 and 5*s, who will become JRs this August. Other leagues lose them too, but don't usually have the 4 and 5* depth to replace them as the SEC seems to afford. What is it, a primadonna syndrome come bowl season/coaching/or what?

Besides the money/recruiting dominance/and stadium capacity .... where are they proving their 'best' conference status, top to bottom on the field. Eyeball test says yes … the results don't say much at all.

Last edited:

Wexahu

QUOTE="Wexahu, post: 2688947, member: 72863"]Dont know, but it usually isn’t. One reason might be that they probably have more early NFL entrants than most leagues but I don’t know that for sure. I’m just saying top to bottom it’s the best league, I don’t think that’s really even up for debate. Doesn’t mean they win all the time. Take the top 2-3 teams out of any league and you mostly have a bunch is really average teams.

Well, if that's the case, they're sure not proving it on the field, against other league teams with similar records/rankings. That's really not up for debate.

Of 130 D1 schools, the SEC has the following Rivals team recruiting rankings, in their Top 20 the past 5 seasons:
2018 - 8
2017 - 8
2016 - 8
2015 - 8
2014 - 10 ... 5 in the Top 10

So a dozen or 2 JR 4 and 5*s leave the SEC early... and are replaced by another dozen or 2 Soph 4 and 5*s, who will become JRs this August. Other leagues lose them too, but don't usually have the 4 and 5* depth to replace them as the SEC seems to afford. What is it, a primadonna syndrome come bowl season/coaching/or what?

Besides the money/recruiting dominance/and stadium capacity .... where are they proving their 'best' conference status, top to bottom on the field. Eyeball test says yes … the results don't say much at all.[/QUOTE]

The results are pretty definitive that over the past 10, 15 or 20 years the SEC has been the best league. They have the best inter conference record of any league. Are you basing your information on a one or two year sample of bowl games?

Froginbedford

Dont know, but it usually isn’t. One reason might be that they probably have more early NFL entrants than most leagues but I don’t know that for sure. I’m just saying top to bottom it’s the best league, I don’t think that’s really even up for debate. Doesn’t mean they win all the time. Take the top 2-3 teams out of any league and you mostly have a bunch is really average teams.

Well, as we all know from the 2001-2012 years, TCU won its bowls because any time can get up for just one game...the B12 fans and everyone else told us so....Therefore SEC teams are victims of the overachieving middle of the pack schools....

GenXFrog

The results are pretty definitive that over the past 10, 15 or 20 years the SEC has been the best league. They have the best inter conference record of any league. Are you basing your information on a one or two year sample of bowl games?

Big12 has a better regular season record against SEC the last few years and has a tied Bowl record.

I'm sure some will say that just looking at 2015 onward is statistically insignificant. I look at it as validation of the Texas A&M effect during its relative time in both conferences.

Last edited:

asleep003

Working within the frame work of the thread's original post...
So, basically the past 3 seasons... are they obviously the 'best' now ... or is it perception and marketing over results...

Didn't actually realize that the B12, since TCU joined, had a better regular season record against the SEC. Remember when SEC dominated the Bowls fairly recently and was anointed the top league based on that primarily, along with NCAA championships.

But results say that seems to be shifting, even with SEC's gluttony of 4 and 5* recruits.

Wexahu

Working within the frame work of the thread's original post...
So, basically the past 3 seasons... are they obviously the 'best' now ... or is it perception and marketing over results...

Didn't actually realize that the B12, since TCU joined, had a better regular season record against the SEC. Remember when SEC dominated the Bowls fairly recently and was anointed the top league based on that primarily, along with NCAA championships.

But results say that seems to be shifting, even with SEC's gluttony of 4 and 5* recruits.

Are you really saying the Big 12 is just as good as the SEC? I don’t think there’s one college football fan that wasn’t a shill for the B12 who would say that. It’s no shame for the Big 12 to be a notch or two behind, the league is still fine and just needs to keep going like it’s going. But these discussions usually end up the same, most everyone concedes the SEC is the best league but for some reason just saying that is a no no.

asleep003

Are you really saying the Big 12 is just as good as the SEC? I don’t think there’s one college football fan that wasn’t a shill for the B12 who would say that. It’s no shame for the Big 12 to be a notch or two behind, the league is still fine and just needs to keep going like it’s going. But these discussions usually end up the same, most everyone concedes the SEC is the best league but for some reason just saying that is a no no.

Now are you trying to take this thread into another direction... No one on this thread has issued or made such a statement. Did you just decide to make that the issue, due to a lack of a legitimate argument for SEC being the dominant conference today. We haven't been discussing about 5 10 20 years ago.

Some posts enlightened us with some facts. Everyone on this thread seems to go along with the dominant talent in the SEC, but no one has offered or attempted to provide results that SEC is in fact the dominant Conference today. I'll give it, that the SEC has won 2 of the 5 CFPs since its inception.

Last 3 seasons P5 Bowl winning percentage: ACC 58%/ B12 62%/ B1G 55%/ P12 32%/ SEC 47%. Until a post pointed it out, had no idea since TCU joined B12, B12 has a better season record and tied bowl record against SEC. Though that's not the point of this thread.

So again for the 3rd time, over the past 3 seasons, is it perception/marketing that has kept them as the dominant league.?. their results and Ancient Alien Theorists seem to indicate no... but to be in the middle with most of the other P5s. Believe it's not a valid argument to just say... yes they are, yes they are.

Last edited:

Putt4Purple

I was told there would be no math! I grant you Alabama has been great since Saban has been there. 10 years? My point is you make Bama average along with the other occasional rotation of teams, Auburn, Georgia, Florida and they are a strong conference even then. The circle of life. There is always change. SEC will come down a notch eventually and other conferences will take their place I believe the Big 12 and TCU will have a part in the near future.

Wexahu

I was told there would be no math! I grant you Alabama has been great since Saban has been there. 10 years? My point is you make Bama average along with the other occasional rotation of teams, Auburn, Georgia, Florida and they are a strong conference even then. The circle of life. There is always change. SEC will come down a notch eventually and other conferences will take their place I believe the Big 12 and TCU will have a part in the near future.

It's not complicated. By and large that conference consists of football-crazy large state schools with huge budgets that just happen to be right in the middle of the some of the best recruiting ground in the country. Alabama, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and to a little lesser extent Arkansas, Ole Miss and Mississippi State all fit that category. When Missouri, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt are your most competitively disadvantaged programs you've really got something that noone else matches. You can cherry pick certain years to try and make an argument that it might not be the best league but the facts are the SEC has been the best by virtually any measure. By how much can probably be debated to some degree but there is no doubt, unless you just want to bury your head in the sand, that the SEC is the deepest, best, most competitive league in the country. It is what it is. And there is nothing wrong with the Big 12.

berryfrog95

Mizzou just hit with 1-year post season probation, tutor violating academic conduct code.......football/baseball/softball

SEC SEC SEC

asleep003

It's not complicated. By and large that conference consists of football-crazy large state schools with huge budgets that just happen to be right in the middle of the some of the best recruiting ground in the country. Alabama, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and to a little lesser extent Arkansas, Ole Miss and Mississippi State all fit that category. When Missouri, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt are your most competitively disadvantaged programs you've really got something that noone else matches. You can cherry pick certain years to try and make an argument that it might not be the best league but the facts are the SEC has been the best by virtually any measure. By how much can probably be debated to some degree but there is no doubt, unless you just want to bury your head in the sand, that the SEC is the deepest, best, most competitive league in the country. It is what it is. And there is nothing wrong with the Big 12.

If a conference doesn't out perform it's peers the past three years... how is that burying ones head in the sand.? ... but who's head is buried in the sand, against results.?. waiting on the "facts" you haven't posted

It's not that big of a deal … relax and take a breath. others/self cited performance issues these past few years that consistently say SEC has under performed, though they have dominated recruiting, as already mentioned often... so there's no arguing there..A&M has had huge recruiting classes for decades, but have done little with it.

If you want to talk about a conference with large state schools with huge budgets, then there is of course the B1G … who leads everyone with TV viewership and also have their huge stadiums and knuckleheaded zealot fan basis too..

So lets not use Stadiums/recruiting/ or TV viewership as the barometer any more. What is so wrong with using where everyone is now, by using the past 3 years performance/results as the measuring stick for a conference's present dominance or lack of. Same question, are some other leagues catching/caught up or what … by using performance based data vs traditional hype.

Last edited: