• The KillerFrogs

SB Nation: TCU’s Sebastian Gorzny entering transfer portal

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU’s Sebastian Gorzny entering transfer portal​

By Russell Hodges
@RussellJHodges

TCU sophomore Sebastian Gorzny delivered the biggest match point of the season for the Horned Frogs, upsetting Texas netter Jonas Braswell 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 to secure TCU’s first-ever National Championship trophy in a 4-3 win over the SEC-bound Longhorns. Less than one week after helping the Horned Frogs clinch the national title, however, Gorzny has reportedly entered the transfer portal after two seasons with the Horned Frogs.

Read more at https://www.frogsowar.com/2024/5/26/24165414/report-tcus-sebastian-gorzny-entering-transfer-portal

MadFrog

Probably recruited while playing for TCU and then offered more money. I remember when Kenneth Davis became ineligible over a $100 illegal payment and the 1985 football season was ruined. Today thousands, if not millions are thrown around like candy.

Opintel

Moderators
Probably recruited while playing for TCU and then offered more money. I remember when Kenneth Davis became ineligible over a $100 illegal payment and the 1985 football season was ruined. Today thousands, if not millions are thrown around like candy.
Logical.

BleedNPurple

And after that verdict Chancellor Tucker said we will never cooperate or give the NCAA any assistance in investigating our athletic programs again. Our faculty athletic committee investigated every suit or steak ever bought since the beginning of our athletic programs. The NCAA used that to throw the book at us in the form of the “Living Death Penalty.” As Gil LeBreton said “you could hear athletic doors slamming across the entire country.”

ticketfrog123

Wonder what kind of tampering happened here?
Probably not what happened here. Unlikely he is on a full ride at TCU. Can probably get a full scholarship somewhere else or qualify for in state tuition at UT. Already has a ring.

Men’s tennis has 4.5 scholarships which can be spread disproportionately

TCU cost of attendance is up to $75k / yr or more.

FrogCop19

And after that verdict Chancellor Tucker said we will never cooperate or give the NCAA any assistance in investigating our athletic programs again. Our faculty athletic committee investigated every suit or steak ever bought since the beginning of our athletic programs. The NCAA used that to throw the book at us in the form of the “Living Death Penalty.” As Gil LeBreton said “you could hear athletic doors slamming across the entire country.”
I'm assuming that was back before he asked for membership money then ghosted everyone?

(Yes, I've heard there were "extenuating circumstances" but still...)

The TCU Football Jerk

The whole Kenneth Davis situation and resulting ncaa fiasco was over WAY more than a hundred bucks.

HToady

Prior reasons for selecting a University for an athlete:
Winning tradition
Like the coaching staff
Close enough that parents can come to games
Quality education
Life long relationships
The girls are hot
Current reasons for selecting a University for an athlete:
Money

Froglaw

TCU was rolling coming off the Bluebonnet bowl appearance.

KD was heathy, defense was stout as a dark irish beer, O-line was solid.

With Kenneth and Tony Jeffries in the backfield, the Frogs veer was going to be tough to stop.

Davis carried the ball 24 times for 152 yards at AGCS.

Frogs beat Tulane 30-13 in the first game of the year.

Then Thursday morning, Coach Wacker announced the dismissal of several players from the team for taking illegal payments.

Oh for far off places and the things that might have been . . .

The TCU Football Jerk

With Kenneth and Tony Jeffries in the backfield, the Frogs veer was going to be tough to stop.

Then Thursday morning, Coach Wacker announced the dismissal of several players from the team for taking illegal payments.

And Davis was the front runner to win the heisman at the beginning of that season too. And two days after the dismissals, the team went to Manhattan and beat K State. But that was about the last bright spot for a few years. Lost to Rice that year and the next and even got beat by NTSU the next year. Rough times.

BleedNPurple

Yes and we were number 13 in the country after that Tulane game then our world was suddenly shattered.

tetonfrog

I covered the football team my sophomore year in '91 for the Skiff and that was Wacker's last year at TCU (7-4). He still talked about the probation and what might have been. It was the look of a man who suffered a tragic loss in a car wreck - haunted eyes, low voice........for a guy who was always super upbeat, it was such a shocking reversal of attitude/personality.

westoverhillbilly

I was eating at The Pit Wednesday night when word started to spread. A group of us drove to Manhattan for the KSU game. We felt the team needed supporting more than ever.

TCU had had several very solid (one or two of which were perhaps elite) recruiting classes in 1981-1984. The Frogs were very close to a SWC crown in ‘84 but fell apart against UT and A&M at the end of the season- just didn’t have enough healthy guys as I recall. Wacker’s doing the right thing was the wrong thing at that time.