• The KillerFrogs

Sarah Fuller

MAcFroggy

Why not try out for the TCU team? There’s nothing defining or limiting about X and Y chromosomes.

Well then I assume the question would have used she/her pronouns not he. If the hypothetical person was identifying as a women then it should have been worded "she’d be playing right". By saying "he’d be playing right", I assumed the question was specifically asking about a man identifying as a man who was wanting to play women's volleyball not a man identifying as female who wanted to play on the women's volleyball team.

If this hypothetical person was identifying as female, then I do not have an answer. I am not sure what the current NCAA policy is regarding transgender/non-binary individuals.

LisaLT

question, as a former competitive athlete (and possibly competing at the masters level now)

what were you thought on how this has been portrayed as a woman breaking down barriers when you saw her kick off and then running off the field
Honestly - I thought it was a bit weird and purely for entertainment purposes only. I'm sure she is a very good soccer player, but this smacked of a publicity stunt for the struggling Vanderbilt team. One kick?? That is all? And not even a good kick? Am I being too harsh?

Wexahu

Well then I assume the question would have used she/her pronouns not he. If the hypothetical person was identifying as a women then it should have been worded "she’d be playing right". By saying "he’d be playing right", I assumed the question was specifically asking about a man identifying as a man who was wanting to play women's volleyball not a man identifying as female who wanted to play on the women's volleyball team.

If this hypothetical person was identifying as female, then I do not have an answer. I am not sure what the current NCAA policy is regarding transgender/non-binary individuals.

There is a very very fine line between "progress" and just some flat out weird [ Finebaum ].

Eight

Honestly - I thought it was a bit weird and purely for entertainment purposes only. I'm sure she is a very good soccer player, but this smacked of a publicity stunt for the struggling Vanderbilt team. One kick?? That is all? And not even a good kick? Am I being too harsh?

too harsh?

e71b679130cc73982c1d5bd73da80463.gif

East Coast

Tier 1
Well, there is the fact the rest of the team played so putridly on offense that they didn't score a TD or even get to the 30 yard line. There were no other opportunities so we will never know. She looked capable of making an extra point in warmups; and also very possibly having an extra point attempt blocked.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Because men's volleyball is an available NCAA sport. TCU just does not sponsor that sport. He could potentially transfer to another school to play.

That’s kind of the point. Why should he have to transfer if he loves TCU and he’s on a BB scholly? Would he not benefit the women’s team?

Okay, if you don’t like that scenario, let’s say there is a world class men’s fast pitch softball player at a school, since there is no men’s softball, would he be allowed to join the women? I’m guessing not.

froginmn

That’s kind of the point. Why should he have to transfer if he loves TCU and he’s on a BB scholly? Would he not benefit the women’s team?

Okay, if you don’t like that scenario, let’s say there is a world class men’s fast pitch softball player at a school, since there is no men’s softball, would he be allowed to join the women? I’m guessing not.
Well, there's no women's team at TCU either...

JogginFrog

Here's the NCAA policy, published 2011 and referenced on at least one school's athletics web site as of 2019:

The following policies clarify participation of transgender student-athletes undergoing hormonal treatment for gender transition:

1. A trans male (FTM) student-athlete who has received a medical exception for treatment with testosterone for diagnosed Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for purposes of NCAA competition may compete on a men’s team, but is no longer eligible to compete on a women’s team without changing that team status to a mixed team.

2. A trans female (MTF) student-athlete being treated with testosterone suppression medication for Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for the purposes of NCAA competition may continue to compete on a men’s team but may not compete on a women’s team without changing it to a mixed team status until completing one calendar year of testosterone suppression treatment.

Any transgender student-athlete who is not taking hormone treatment related to gender transition may participate in sex-separated sports activities in accordance with his or her assigned birth gender.

• A trans male (FTM) student-athlete who is not taking testosterone related to gender transition may participate on a men’s or women’s team.

• A trans female (MTF) transgender student-athlete who is not taking hormone treatments related to gender transition may not compete on a women’s team.