• The KillerFrogs

PurpleMenace: Patterson talks first practice, waxes on Transfer Portal

CountryFrog

I may be overly optimistic on Barlow/Foster but believe they will put up better numbers than Sewo/Anderson did.
I'm not disagreeing with you, BUT people seem to say this about every RB we've had since Catalon. BJ left and it was "we're better off with Green." Green left and it was "we're better off with Hicks." Hicks left and it was "I like the one two punch of Sewo/DA better anyway." Now those two are leaving and most think we'll be better off with Barlow and Foster.

Again, I'm not disagreeing. You may well be right, just as I think we were indeed better with Green than with Catalon. Is just always a very popular sentiment to look at the young unproven players who we haven't seen yet as being upgrades over the proven veterans they're replacing.

Mean Purple

Yes, you did! But, I think it is even more of a Sabin/Alabama thing. Strive for perfection, not just OK. BTW...I detest Sabin.
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!
for sure. Saban coaches hard to details. When our offense and really burned it up, guys have been taking care of details. That catch at the end of the Tech game that year, back of the endzone after bobbled up, is an example. He new the responsibility to come across the back end and back up the first target. Stuck with it and was in the right spot. Boom!

Wexahu

I'm not disagreeing with you, BUT people seem to say this about every RB we've had since Catalon. BJ left and it was "we're better off with Green." Green left and it was "we're better off with Hicks." Hicks left and it was "I like the one two punch of Sewo/DA better anyway." Now those two are leaving and most think we'll be better off with Barlow and Foster.

Again, I'm not disagreeing. You may well be right, just as I think we were indeed better with Green than with Catalon. Is just always a very popular sentiment to look at the young unproven players who we haven't seen yet as being upgrades over the proven veterans they're replacing.

I think they've got a chance at being better eventually, but not next year. IMO Sewo was always a bit overrated (especially in the offense we ran) but I thought Anderson was a great talent who was almost criminally underused. He will be hard to replace in the running game.

CountryFrog

I think they've got a chance at being better eventually, but not next year. IMO Sewo was always a bit overrated (especially in the offense we ran) but I thought Anderson was a great talent who was almost criminally underused. He will be hard to replace in the running game.
If he was criminally underused then he shouldn't be too hard to replace. Anyone can stand on the sideline and not get the ball.

Eight

think anderson fit much better in the run scheme the frogs utilized in 2017 than the past two years and i really don't think he fit as well in the zone read scheme.

curious how he would do in a 1-cut run scheme similar to the 49ers

Eight

I'd run for 1200 yards in a Shannahan offense

which raises the question why more people don't copy the model and instead run crap that doesn't work.

seriously, why the heck are the bears in cold weather and bad wind conditions on the lake trying to force a pass heavy offense with a quarterback who has never shown consistency?

same with cleveland and goodness knows how many other teams in the nfl

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
which raises the question why more people don't copy the model and instead run crap that doesn't work.

seriously, why the heck are the bears in cold weather and bad wind conditions on the lake trying to force a pass heavy offense with a quarterback who has never shown consistency?

Square peg, round hole.

Most coaches at that level couldn't see the forest for the trees. They have developed their own "system" and will hammer that template onto any team they take over, whether the players, conditions, or circumstances are favorable or not. It worked at some point, therefore it will work every time thereafter.

Eight

Square peg, round hole.

Most coaches at that level couldn't see the forest for the trees. They have developed their own "system" and will hammer that template onto any team they take over, whether the players, conditions, or circumstances are favorable or not. It worked at some point, therefore it will work every time thereafter.

agree and it gets compounded when you had some success with players that fit a system, but now you don't have that level of talent or aren't acquiring that type of talent

one of the strengths to me for the longest time was the frogs would recruit kids on the defensive side of the ball whose athletic ability or skill set fit into the defense.

i think this has been the biggest challenge coming into the big 12 at key positions such as linebacker.

an offense like ou requires the linebackers to be able to stand up physically in the run game, but still cover down the field in the passing game.

if you have a defensive front such as lsu as was mentioned early in this thread then you stand a chance with linebackers who might not excel in both, but if you can't match that offensive line you are screwed

CountryFrog

It's a good question. I think it's probably not as simple as just copying a blocking scheme or general philosophy. I don't think the Shannahan offense is creating new never before seen blocking schemes and techniques. They just teach it in a way that makes the players able to understand it and execute it at the highest level. Then he clearly has a feel for the play calling side of it to counter what defenses are trying to do that keeps his team one step ahead. It's an incredibly simplistic offense but it has answers for everything and they execute it at such a high level that it's tough to stop. Then of course they find linemen who fit the system and RB's with two legs and working eyeballs.

I think it's much like with GP's defense. There have been a lot of people try similar schematic things but don't have Gary teaching it and calling it.

Limp Lizard

The Anderson the last half of the season just did not look the same as the first half, especially in quickness. It sure looked to me like he lost a step the last few games...did not explode like we have seen him in the early season games. In fact his 40 time came as no surprise to me. But whatever he is gone now.

I do agree that Barlow and Foster have me excited. Foster breaks tackles and keeps his feet better than anyone after Hobbs I can remember. Of course that is just based on his HS highlights and the one possession against Kansas, so, who knows? Many are higher on Barlow than Foster, so hopefully at least one of them will be a game breaker.

4th. down

The Anderson the last half of the season just did not look the same as the first half, especially in quickness. It sure looked to me like he lost a step the last few games...did not explode like we have seen him in the early season games. In fact his 40 time came as no surprise to me. But whatever he is gone now.

I do agree that Barlow and Foster have me excited. Foster breaks tackles and keeps his feet better than anyone after Hobbs I can remember. Of course that is just based on his HS highlights and the one possession against Kansas, so, who knows? Many are higher on Barlow than Foster, so hopefully at least one of them will be a game breaker.

They just need carries and quit taking them out when they are having their day - too much rotation IMO. When your hot, your hot, let them play. So what if one gets 25 carries but your moving the chains and scoring. Don't keep falling into our old trap of trying to balance out 3 RB's carries. Remember OJ, run him and run him. Kinda like we did Hobbs and LT.

Eight

They just need carries and quit taking them out when they are having their day - too much rotation IMO. When your hot, your hot, let them play. So what if one gets 25 carries but your moving the chains and scoring. Don't keep falling into our old trap of trying to balance out 3 RB's carries. Remember OJ, run him and run him. Kinda like we did Hobbs and LT.

curious how applewhite handles the rotation of the backs next fall

Limp Lizard

At least they are are older now. I always believed that the heavy load on their true Freshman year by Peterson at OU and Hobbs at TCU lead to injury problems their entire career (with Hobbs just TCU). Big difference between the body of an 18 year old player and a 22 year old player. And even more once they get in the pros and are older; Michael Irvin called it "man weight" at the combine. LT didn't carry the ball all that much his first two years, then was a workhorse from then on. Of course luck and work ethic played a big part, but sparing that 18-19 year old body sure helped, IMO.

Froggish

HSO Incoming.... RBs are easily replaced in todays game. I’m really not worried about replacing Sewo or DA. I like the potential of our young backs but I think football teams, at least offensively, are defined by their ability to find efficiency in the passing game and big play ability. Just don’t think it’s that hard to find a runner

HFrog12

Now do receivers. It is maddening to me how much we rotate. QB has to have a rapport with 30 different receivers in our offense. I like how Joe Burrow would throw to TE, Chase, Marshall, or Jefferson. If those guys weren't catching it then its a dump to the RB. Keep your best horses out there the whole game. Don't bring in Tre Heights cold off the bench for the first time in the 3rd quarter and expect it to be seamless.

Last edited:

4th. down

Now do receivers. It is maddening to me how much we rotate. QB has to have a rapport with 30 different receivers in our offense. I like how Joe Burrow would throw to TE, Chase, Marshall, or Jefferson. If those guys weren't catching it then its a dump to the RB. Keep your best horses out there the whole game. Don't bring in Tre Heights cold off the bench for the first time in the 3rd quarter and expect it to be seamless.

My starting receivers for Cal FWIW:

Taye and Wells - slot
Lynn - TE
Wide - D. Thomas

Yep, 4 receivers and I like Wells lined up next to Lynn for blocking and 2 real big big's overloaded to one side. If defense shifts, pull a guard going the opposite way for the RB counter. Hopefully we reduce the 5 receiver routes and keep our best on the field for the majority of the game or until we have it under control. It would result in a shorter route passing game but I think we could be more consistent moving the chains and keep Riley's offense off the field. Max should hit a 10 yd. pass a lot easier than a 40.

Eight

My starting receivers for Cal FWIW:

Taye and Wells - slot
Lynn - TE
Wide - D. Thomas

Yep, 4 receivers and I like Wells lined up next to Lynn for blocking and 2 real big big's overloaded to one side. If defense shifts, pull a guard going the opposite way for the RB counter. Hopefully we reduce the 5 receiver routes and keep our best on the field for the majority of the game or until we have it under control. It would result in a shorter route passing game but I think we could be more consistent moving the chains and keep Riley's offense off the field. Max should hit a 10 yd. pass a lot easier than a 40.

would like to see for his sake dylan is healthy enough to go through fall camp and win the starting job.

he has contributed when healthy, but with his luck he would be the guy on the roster to get corona.

4th. down

would like to see for his sake dylan is healthy enough to go through fall camp and win the starting job.

he has contributed when healthy, but with his luck he would be the guy on the roster to get corona.

From my perspective it seems Wells, Taye and D. Thomas have the best hands so far although there are other receivers we have not seen yet or seen enough to form an opinion. At any rate, keep ALL of our best hands on the field at the same time.

Believe Kill will help us on the above and I find it interesting that Sonny reached out to Kill to come to TCU. He knew that he was in over his head and needed help.

Eight

From my perspective it seems Wells, Taye and D. Thomas have the best hands so far although there are other receivers we have not seen yet or seen enough to form an opinion. At any rate, keep ALL of our best hands on the field at the same time.

Believe Kill will help us on the above and I find it interesting that Sonny reached out to Kill to come to TCU. He knew that he was in over his head and needed help.

i thought dylan was about to really make an impact as the receiver opposite the field from reagor and then he broke the leg.

curious if he would be interested and/or eligible for a 6th season as he only played 1 game in 2018 due to injury.