• The KillerFrogs

PurpleMenace: Patterson talks first practice, waxes on Transfer Portal

Eight

One other point on the general idea of prep/execution: Remember when NFL Scouts *used to* say how well-prepared the TCU kids always were? Sigh.

hey, stay on your side of the discussion

yes, i do as well as i remember when the defense tackled well and i am curious how the change in hitting in practice has impacted the learning of some of these skills.

you can talk all you want about some of this stuff, but at some time you have to actually go through the actions.

Billy Clyde

so how do you explain the 2016 season?

you point to the 2014 team and the players who have made their mark in the nfl are the offensive linemen. boykin had a shot and we know the story, doctson has been plagued by injuries, and green had a cup of coffee in the nfl.

which other receiver over achieved? kolby? he got drafted for one reason and his nfl career had the same issues as his time in ft worth? porter? injuries ended that career. gray? never the same from the knee.

i do believe kill can bring some things to this offense in regards to structure and understanding what is required to create an offense.

have nothing against meacham and i hope i am wrong, but if things are suddenly right as rain with him back then someone needs to explain [ What the heck? ] happened in and after 2016

I think I remember reading that there were like 20 guys off that team in NFL training camps the next year. Not simply guys who actually made a team and are still playing, although seriously, how many of those guys who ARE still playing projected as NFLers out of high school? Compare that with the recruits we get now who are much more highly-rated coming in, and don't pan out.
It seems pretty obvious from the last couple of seasons that *something* has happened with our coaching. . . I guess this is why we drive ourselves crazy with this stuff. It's not very simple calculus dealing with such a large and complex organism, although again, I really want it to be. :)

Wexahu

One other point on the general idea of prep/execution: Remember when NFL Scouts *used to* say how well-prepared the TCU kids always were? Sigh.

They still say that about our defensive players. On that same topic, who on the offensive coaching staff has been holding players accountable? A defensive player screws up, he's going to hear it from GP and maybe get a tongue lashing. An offensive player screws up, he just jogs off the field and nobody really pays attention to him except maybe a teammate who gives a low-five or something. I've been watching it for years. By and large, the offensive unit doesn't play with near the intensity and focus and the defense does, and I think that's almost entirely due to our head coach basically being a D-coordinator, and there is noone on the offensive staff who is either capable or willing to REALLY hold their guys accountable and demand good play. That more than anything was why Kill was brought in here IMO. When GP said "I need your help" that is what he meant if I had to guess.

We'll see how it works out.

4th. down

They are going very fast in spring drills so far. It may be too much at some point but not yet anyway and the plan through spring is to keep at it.

Yes, I've heard the same and suppose there is a place for it or so these new offensive coaches think so. We are not LSU, but in the OU game, Brady didn't see a need for the hurry up and they did ok. Spot duty for the hurry up ok, but if you don't move the chains, the defense is right back on the field and that's not going to go over big with GP.

Eight

I think I remember reading that there were like 20 guys off that team in NFL training camps the next year. Not simply guys who actually made a team and are still playing, although seriously, how many of those guys who ARE still playing projected as NFLers out of high school? Compare that with the recruits we get now who are much more highly-rated coming in, and don't pan out.
It seems pretty obvious from the last couple of seasons that *something* has happened with our coaching. . . I guess this is why we drive ourselves crazy with this stuff. It's not very simple calculus dealing with such a large and complex organism, although again, I really want it to be. :)

would love to see the source material because the frogs didn't have 20 scholarship seniors on the 2014 roster and remember that a number of those frogs who ended up in nfl camps from that team were defensive players

https://gofrogs.com/sports/football/roster/2014

additionally, the only skill position player who was a starter for the 2014 team and still is on an nfl roster is josh doctson.

no other receivers, no tight ends, and no running backs.

run through the roster linked above and look at all the names are receiver and ask where are they now.

Eight

Yes, I've heard the same and suppose there is a place for it or so these new offensive coaches think so. We are not LSU, but in the OU game, Brady didn't see a need for the hurry up and they did ok. Spot duty for the hurry up ok, but if you don't move the chains, the defense is right back on the field and that's not going to go over big with GP.

this is my fear, that we go back to an offensive scheme that is built on going fast and not developing talent or maximizing talent

FrogAbroad

Hopefully Gary isn't over selling what he's got this cycle.

Offense needed to play with more juice. Hopefully we can be in the Top 4 in the Big XII in offense and #1 again in defense for the 2020 campaign.

TCU football needs to put the LSU vs OU game on for our players and show how to play Lincoln Riley's offense. You line up and hit them in the mouth playing man and jam their receivers at the line to screw up their timing. You out big cat them. That's what LSU did all game.
Are our cats as capable as LSU's?

Wexahu

this is my fear, that we go back to an offensive scheme that is built on going fast and not developing talent or maximizing talent

Meach is practically the poster boy for this unfortunately.

I'll never forget the first game against SDSU in 2016, the first several series in the first half guys were literally sprinting back into position after plays were over, even Kenny Hill, it was like there was some kind of contest we were going to win if a ball could be snapped in 5 seconds. It was almost bizarre looking. I just watched and thought what in the hell are we doing? Looked like an absolute mess most of that game, and not much changed throughout the season.

Good lord I hope we don't go back to that crap.

Billy Clyde

would love to see the source material because the frogs didn't have 20 scholarship seniors on the 2014 roster and remember that a number of those frogs who ended up in nfl camps from that team were defensive players

https://gofrogs.com/sports/football/roster/2014

additionally, the only skill position player who was a starter for the 2014 team and still is on an nfl roster is josh doctson.

no other receivers, no tight ends, and no running backs.

run through the roster linked above and look at all the names are receiver and ask where are they now.

I was remembering the wrong group, it was the 2010 bunch that had so many. But another thought occurs to me with the 2014 offense. Seems to me like if you just take a look at the running game, never mind the crazy passing numbers, we got much better results out of much lesser talents. Jet and Sewo looked like NFLers from the moment they arrived. None of our 2014 RBs did, at least to me. They were smallish, not terribly fast but gained lots of yards running. The Nebraska transfer was pretty good, though. Had good vision.

Eight

I was remembering the wrong group, it was the 2010 bunch that had so many. But another thought occurs to me with the 2016 offense. Seems to me like if you just take a look at the running game, never mind the crazy passing numbers, we got much better results out of much lesser talents. Jet and Sewo looked like NFLers from the moment they arrived. None of our 2014 RBs did, at least to me. They were smallish, not terribly fast but gained lots of yards running. The Nebraska transfer was pretty good, though. Had good vision.

you do realize the 2016 starting offensive line consisted of five players who either are or have been on nfl rosters in noteboom, collins, schlottman, pryor and morris with lucas niang as the swing player.

do you really want to compare the talent in the 2016 offensive line with the 2018 and 2019 offensive lines?

additionally, kyle hicks was the #28 rated player in the state of texas, a 4-star recruit, and the #15 running back in the country when he signed with the frogs out of arlington martin.

neither sewo nor jet were rated that high coming out of high school

Last edited:

Billy Clyde

you do realize the 2016 starting offensive line consisted of five players who either are or have been on nfl rosters in noteboom, collins, schlottman, pryor and morris with lucas niang as the swing player.

do you really want to compare the talent in the 2016 offensive line with the 2018 and 2019 offensive lines?

additionally, kyle hicks was the #28 rated player in the state of texas, a 4-star recruit, and the #15 running back in the country when he signed with the frogs out of arlington martin.

I was talking about 2014, not 2016. I mistyped. Went back and edited.

4th. down

I may be overly optimistic on Barlow/Foster but believe they will put up better numbers than Sewo/Anderson did.

Eight

I was talking about 2014, not 2016. I mistyped. Went back and edited.

2014 line had joey hunt a 3 year starter at center and drawing an nfl paycheck in seattle, vaitai who has a superbowl ring, and tayo had enough raw talent to get a shot with the bears.

the guards i would take right now in naff and foltz who were red-shirt juniors who were strong and physically tough and the second offensive line in 2014 was ridiculously deep.

again, comparing the talent in the offensive line in 2014,15, or 16 with the last two years i go with 2014-16 and they benefited in large part to the bruises taken in 2012 and 2013 when the frogs played a number of young kids just not ready to start in the line, but forced to play because there wasn't anyone else to step up.

bj catalon is highly underappreciated by tcu fans. he fit that offense perfectly, ran very physical for his size, and hs his career ended in morgantown on a carry he saved the frogs when he somehow held onto the ball prior to winning field goal.

Eight

I may be overly optimistic on Barlow/Foster but believe they will put up better numbers than Sewo/Anderson did.

i think that both have flashed the potential to be better instinctive runners and i think both were overlooked coming out of high school.

foster put up insane numbers and barlow bascially carried the newton offense through the playoffs when brown got dismissed from the team for the final time.

Froggish

Meach is practically the poster boy for this unfortunately.

I'll never forget the first game against SDSU in 2016, the first several series in the first half guys were literally sprinting back into position after plays were over, even Kenny Hill, it was like there was some kind of contest we were going to win if a ball could be snapped in 5 seconds. It was almost bizarre looking. I just watched and thought what in the hell are we doing? Looked like an absolute mess most of that game, and not much changed throughout the season.

Good lord I hope we don't go back to that crap.

I remember arguing with someone here about how getting 15 more snaps a game being meaningless if 12 of them are sloppy busted and wasted due to the speed chaos. The amount of throw away plays in 16 was crazy

Mean Purple

picking up the tempo is nice, far better than standing at the line of scrimmage watching the play clock run down, and the defense start to get the edge on anticipating the snap, but going fast is not a sustainable solution to poor offensive execution.
I liked the mix we had during Kenny's senior year. Any time taken presnap was him going through reads. What we did last year seemed to take some away from Max. But also had to help a true freshman as much as possible. Max is aggressive.

Can I up my prediction from my previous 10 wins prediction yet?

Mean Purple

Such a great point- I seriously wonder if any offensive coach in CFB, anywhere, has asked, "Hey, I wonder what is lost by not huddling?" I can remember a LOT of communication going on about which player has which advantage over the guy across the line, which player might be hurting and needs a little help, what to get a teammate for a wedding present, whose eyelids are jammed, where to get a live rooster to sacrifice. . . I weep for what's been lost.

In my defense, I was one of the smallest and slowest guys on my team.

The rest of your comment was gold, by the way. (underliked)