• The KillerFrogs

PurpleMenace: Patterson talks first practice, waxes on Transfer Portal

Froggish

Two things I heard in there... Offense is going fast and later he said the WRs are still adjusting to the “tweaks”. He made it a point to mention Meachum again. I’m inferring here but it sounds like some actual change is occurring offensively

Mean Purple

Two things I heard in there... Offense is going fast and later he said the WRs are still adjusting to the “tweaks”. He made it a point to mention Meachum again. I’m inferring here but it sounds like some actual change is occurring offensively
It better, because he can't afford a 3rd crappy season in a row. He kept an OC who has yet to show he can get it done without having his hand held.

Mean Purple

Two great things, among many, in his comments.
A. On the transfer issue. The very important and overlooked reality that most who enter have not landed somewhere else. They may not finish college. And how much those (legislators and - I'll add- media pundits) who have been making new rules are really not in touch with it all.
Some of these kids won't finish college now. For some, this was their way out of a rough way of life. Now they won't have it and they also are missing out on mental fortitude (my thoughts).

B. On the combine, and how many players are getting talked into paying a bunch of money and not seeing an improved performance, when they could have had better focus training at their schools (with those coaches who know them well.)

Two things that needed to be said. And will need to be said again and again.

Mean Purple

Glad to hear Meach and Kill are having an impact. Same with JA and Coach Kelly.
And I am guessing that was Coach Fitch in the background working those guys hard. He as barking at them so loud it caught GP's attention.

Punter1

A. On the transfer issue. The very important and overlooked reality that most who enter have not landed somewhere else. They may not finish college. And how much those (legislators and - I'll add- media pundits) who have been making new rules are really not in touch with it all.
Some of these kids won't finish college now. For some, this was their way out of a rough way of life. Now they won't have it and they also are missing out on mental fortitude (my thoughts).

B. On the combine, and how many players are getting talked into paying a bunch of money and not seeing an improved performance, when they could have had better focus training at their schools (with those coaches who know them well.)

Two things that needed to be said. And will need to be said again and again.

Pretty big shot a Reag here...IMO...

But not sure what an athlete is supposed to do once he declares for the draft or is outta eligibility?? You can't just hang around and train with the team and the coaches. Doesn't sound NCAA legal on a bunch of levels...much less practical for a staff to spend time on dudes not on the team anymore.

Mean Purple

Pretty big shot a Reag here...IMO...

But not sure what an athlete is supposed to do once he declares for the draft or is outta eligibility?? You can't just hang around and train with the team and the coaches. Doesn't sound NCAA legal on a bunch of levels...much less practical for a staff to spend time on dudes not on the team anymore.
Many do it. because after that season, they are not playing. I am guessing the NCAA has made an allowance. I know two kids that did it in big 10 country this year.
For me, the bigger issue is the transfer one. Never give up a shot at a degree.

West Coast Johnny

A. The very important and overlooked reality that most who enter have not landed somewhere else. They may not finish college. And how much those (legislators and - I'll add- media pundits) who have been making new rules are really not in touch with it all.
No doubt there have been negative consequences for many who have entered the portal. Just because many have failed doesn't mean student athletes shouldn't have the freedom to transfer. Freedom-to-fail issue.

4th. down

Believe so Froggish. Meach brings a lot of energy to the game and knowledge, and will be a big help in Kelly's continued development. At the end of the day, Meach will probably call the plays from up and Sonny will be on the field and Kill will also probably be up. We scored some points in '14, '15 and '16.

I hate to get optimistic again after getting whipped lashed the last couple of years but here we go. I see only 5 seniors starting and that's on offense and defense, total. So there's that.

Last edited:

CryptoMiner

Had a consultant also to help with the offense this spring...it will definitely change and Cumbie actually a major force behind the changes.

Last edited:

LeagueCityFrog

Hopefully Gary isn't over selling what he's got this cycle.

Offense needed to play with more juice. Hopefully we can be in the Top 4 in the Big XII in offense and #1 again in defense for the 2020 campaign.

TCU football needs to put the LSU vs OU game on for our players and show how to play Lincoln Riley's offense. You line up and hit them in the mouth playing man and jam their receivers at the line to screw up their timing. You out big cat them. That's what LSU did all game.

4th. down

Offense needed to play with more juice. Hopefully we can be in the Top 4 in the Big XII in offense and #1 again in defense for the 2020 campaign.

TCU football needs to put the LSU vs OU game on for our players and show how to play Lincoln Riley's offense. You line up and hit them in the mouth playing man and jam their receivers at the line to screw up their timing. You out big cat them. That's what LSU did all game.

Yes they did. LSU corners were tough and relentless and of course the pass rush. LSU worked OU like OU works the Big 12.

Froggish

Had a consultant also to help with the offense this spring...it will definitely change and Cumbie actually a major force behind the changes.

Glad we brought in an outside voice and an expert. That's great news

Magic # is 32 and 24....Look at 10 years of scoring average data and filter to conference games only, you'll find that to contend, you have to be inside the top 40 in scoring offense and scoring defense. over the last 10 years that OFF PPG# is right around 32ppg and the DEF PPG# 24ppg

32 and 24 seem to represents the scales of balance for winning football.
2017 Was an exception mostly because we put a top 15 scoring defense on the field. (We've only cracked the top 40 in scoring defense 1 time since joining the B12 *2017*)

Eight

picking up the tempo is nice, far better than standing at the line of scrimmage watching the play clock run down, and the defense start to get the edge on anticipating the snap, but going fast is not a sustainable solution to poor offensive execution.

Eight

so am i getting from you recruiting matters?

part of what lsu did in their secondary worked because lsu's defensive line whipped their offensive line and i am not sure the frogs defensive front is at a point where they can go toe to toe with the sooners offensive line.

Latest posts