• The KillerFrogs

PressBoxDFW: Why not Hurts to round out TCU's 2019 class?

Which brings up a question.....which of our current QBs would be in line to replace Muehistein, in Wednesday's

Cheez-It Bowl, should the need arise?

neutral observer

Hurts for one year would be assume. He is a much better player than people realize. It would certainly give Rogers time to get healthy and Dugan time to learn the offense.

Eight

Or possibly Texas! The rich get richer.

giphy.gif

Eight

I was referring to the fact that they always have the top or second best recruiting class in the conference each year. We are fortunate to have a top-30 class.

how does that possibly correlate to where hurts would transfer?

the entire thread has been about the potential idea of hurts transferring to tuc.

ou has shown they can quickly and effective meld a transfer quarterback into their system which i believe was the basis for what cryptominer wrote.

as far as what you wrote, i got nothing

ticketfrog123

Only one thing is certain if we have to go with Rogers, Collins and Duggan: After the first lost game there are fans here who will consider the starting QB a bust and cry for the next one to play. Freshmen should not make Freshman mistakes, after all:rolleyes:. Guys with a Freshman QB there will be turnovers and mistakes galore. Hopefully the injury problem will not be bad and we can play good defense and run the fall well.

Or the old adage about the fans' favorite QB being the backup QB.

And, oh, yeah I did suspect Shawn's family played too big a role in his career. So does Gill, so I feel more confident.

I understand this but don’t think people be calling for duggan day 1. He doesn’t appear to be that much bigger than Wooten, who most seemed to think needed to add 20 pounds on his frame.

Throwing true freshman out there when they’re not physically up to side is a bad idea. I think Buchele got beat up pretty bad his first year or two, partially due to this.

Limey Frog

I’m not sure what’s more baffling..... that you think we may NEVER have a QB that can win games under our present circumstances or that someone liked the post. I mean scheiss, we had one LAST YEAR. The hell????

Also a grad transfer, not a product of Cumbie's coaching.

Ray Finkle

Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson to transfer as a graduate student. Led them to a 10 win season. Could be intriguing.

MAC Offensive Player of the Year after passing for 2,605 yards and 25 touchdowns during the regular season.

6’7” 245 lbs

Raw Frog

Hope Jalen and Tyree both watched the Cheez it Bowl....
Great opportunity to step in and play.
This is the what they are looking for.

Limey Frog

Kenny Hill was not a grad transfer. He was with us for three years. I think Cumbie probably coached him a little bit during that time.

Yeah, I remembered that shortly after posting but couldn't be bothered to go back and edit. I guess I rolled Kenny in with Matt Joeckle and this present debate. Kenny is an interesting case, in that he had a lot of talent that never transposed into the same kind of greatness at the college level as he enjoyed in high school. He had success not, perhaps, because of what you might call quarterback development so much as when Cumbie and Co. made more conservative calls and taught him to play within his capabilities. That is certainly coaching, and to their credit (albeit I thought it was obvious as a junior that that's what we needed to do--whose failure that was in 2016 I have no idea).

Anyway, my original point was that if you're pinning hopes on Justin Rogers as the QB of the future so that Jalen Hurts would be an unnecessary addition, it's worth noting that Cumbie has thus far taken a grand total of one QB from obvious potential to complete fulfillment of promise on the college level: Boykin. I wouldn't say that what he achieved with Hill fits that description, and he's come nowhere near with anyone else.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
...it's worth noting that Cumbie has thus far taken a grand total of one QB from obvious potential to complete fulfillment of promise on the college level: Boykin. I wouldn't say that what he achieved with Hill fits that description, and he's come nowhere near with anyone else.

If memory serves, Boykin attended the Manning Passing Camp prior to the 2014 season. Evidently, he learned a great deal there about footwork, field vision, and other important matters. How much impact Cumbie had in these areas is unknown...

CountryFrog

If memory serves, Boykin attended the Manning Passing Camp prior to the 2014 season. Evidently, he learned a great deal there about footwork, field vision, and other important matters. How much impact Cumbie had in these areas is unknown...
Yea I'm sure his ONE WEEK at that camp had a far greater impact on him than the TWO YEARS with Cumbie. We're really turning over every rock possible to discredit anything and everything positive.

tetonfrog

Cumbie is a great recruiter & coaches QBs well. Hill’s improvement from junior to senior year & Boykin’s development are two stronge examples.

But he clearly needs help developing game plans. If Luper can’t do that then we need tri-coordinators next year. Our OL issues hampered us all year. And there is a chance we will struggle again there next year. We must be better organized next year with our game plans. If we struggle again in 2018, I expect GP will shake up the coaching staff again.

MTfrog5

Yea I'm sure his ONE WEEK at that camp had a far greater impact on him than the TWO YEARS with Cumbie. We're really turning over every rock possible to discredit anything and everything positive.
We were told that Baylor QB was the next Manning iirc because he could hit golf carts

Latest posts