• The KillerFrogs

PressBoxDFW: Why not Hurts to round out TCU's 2019 class?

SuperTFrog

Are we being ridiculous here? Why would Hurts come to TCU over OU, ND, USC, Ohio State, etc? Pie in the sky?
That stud QB from Clemson just transferred to Missouri. Why Missouri over top schools? I think kids that have been benched other places would rather go to a place where it is more likely they will play. Jaylen Hurts could go to ND or USC and not get a chance to play. At TCU, there is a 99% chance he would be our starter.

4th. down

That stud QB from Clemson just transferred to Missouri. Why Missouri over top schools? I think kids that have been benched other places would rather go to a place where it is more likely they will play. Jaylen Hurts could go to ND or USC and not get a chance to play. At TCU, there is a 99% chance he would be our starter.

Well, I don't know Super T. When you are 26-2 as a starter and won a NC, you probably start at 99% of the schools you would be interested in.

Raw Frog

Didn't Robinson just transfer to Mizzou too?

CountryFrog

Well, I don't know Super T. When you are 26-2 as a starter and won a NC, you probably start at 99% of the schools you would be interested in.
I don't know what schools Jaylen Hurts is interested in, but I know that he definitely wouldn't start at 99% of D1 schools. He's good but he's not one of the top 10 QBs in college football. He may not even be top 20. I think Kelly Bryant is probably better than Hurts. There are a lot of QBs who could've been 26-2 with a national championship at Alabama.

Moose Stuff

Yeah, I remembered that shortly after posting but couldn't be bothered to go back and edit. I guess I rolled Kenny in with Matt Joeckle and this present debate. Kenny is an interesting case, in that he had a lot of talent that never transposed into the same kind of greatness at the college level as he enjoyed in high school. He had success not, perhaps, because of what you might call quarterback development so much as when Cumbie and Co. made more conservative calls and taught him to play within his capabilities. That is certainly coaching, and to their credit (albeit I thought it was obvious as a junior that that's what we needed to do--whose failure that was in 2016 I have no idea).

Anyway, my original point was that if you're pinning hopes on Justin Rogers as the QB of the future so that Jalen Hurts would be an unnecessary addition, it's worth noting that Cumbie has thus far taken a grand total of one QB from obvious potential to complete fulfillment of promise on the college level: Boykin. I wouldn't say that what he achieved with Hill fits that description, and he's come nowhere near with anyone else.

This board so COMPLETELY FAILS to recognize what Kenny Hill accomplished here. In his two years he accounted for 7300 yards of total offense and 57 TDs. He led the nation in 3rd down completion percentage in 2017 and broke the TCU record for completion percentage. He also ran, threw, and caught a TD in the same game TWICE. Kenny Hill was an above average college QB and he absolutely improved while he was on campus. Both he and Sonny deserve way more credit for that than they get.

4th. down

I don't know what schools Jaylen Hurts is interested in, but I know that he definitely wouldn't start at 99% of D1 schools. He's good but he's not one of the top 10 QBs in college football. He may not even be top 20. I think Kelly Bryant is probably better than Hurts. There are a lot of QBs who could've been 26-2 with a national championship at Alabama.

Sounds good, we'll pass on this one.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yea I'm sure his ONE WEEK at that camp had a far greater impact on him than the TWO YEARS with Cumbie. We're really turning over every rock possible to discredit anything and everything positive.
So it's you who has the keys to the Wayback Machine...

There is no doubt that TB2 improved mightily from 2013 to 2014. He also improved yet more from 2014 to 2015, until injury hobbled him.

The Manning Camp is a week of intensive QB work that focuses specifically on proper footwork, throwing mechanics, and field vision. It is famous, of course, due to the name and all, but the kids who go through it generally come out very much improved. Dalton attended, and he was very much a better player afterwards.

While the time Cumbie had to instruct Boykin and the other QBs on the roster was somewhat limited due to the time needed to instruct everyone on the new offense, it is evident that he was able to impart some smarts. For Boykin, it paid off enough that he was able to have a monster 2014 season, and get an invite to an exclusive Camp that few get the opportunity to attend.

Now, all that being said, it is evident that some guys don't get the message, and do not improve one whit. Regression is even seen. Whatever happened to the calm, cool and fairly collected Mule that we saw against Rape U. and OkSt.? He looked like he was wearing a shock-collar out there: three seconds, and ZZZZZT! He had lost every bit of the poise he had displayed just three short weeks ago. Finals didn't turn him into a panicking puddle of goo. Perhaps the pre-game buffet..?

I don't know what's going on with the Offense. All I can base a judgement on is their performance, and that has been lacking. Lots of people have opinions as to why, but the simple fact of the matter is that we were sub-par offensively. That deficiency is laid at the feet of the Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach. It is his responsibility to see that the Offensive unit is able to do it's job, and do it well.

tetonfrog

Now, all that being said, it is evident that some guys don't get the message, and do not improve one whit. Regression is even seen. Whatever happened to the calm, cool and fairly collected Mule that we saw against Rape U. and OkSt.? He looked like he was wearing a shock-collar out there: three seconds, and ZZZZZT! He had lost every bit of the poise he had displayed just three short weeks ago. Finals didn't turn him into a panicking puddle of goo. Perhaps the pre-game buffet...

I am not a fan of cumbie’s play calling but this is a dumb post.

Cal has a top 30 defense. BU & OSU are two of the worst defenses in the country. That is why Mule looked so much better before the bowl game. Also, Cal game planned for Mule with two games of tape.

And to say GM turned into a puddle of goo is just so wrong. He showed why he was third string. You are a disgrace to Frog fans. Go scheiss yourself. He is 2-0 as a starter. What have you ever done?

Eight

Cal has a top 30 defense. BU & OSU are two of the worst defenses in the country. That is why Mule looked so much better before the bowl game. Also, Cal game planned for Mule with two games of tape.

And to say GM turned into a puddle of goo is just so wrong. He showed why he was third string. You are a disgrace to Frog fans. Go scheiss yourself. He is 2-0 as a starter. What have you ever done?

wait, you mean a good defensive staff with some talent, some smart kids, two games of film and roughly a month of time could, dare i say would use that time to identify weaknesses in a quarterback who basically hadn't played in 5 years at tcu and exploit those weaknesses?

nah......far easier to lay all the issues at cumbie's feet

CardFrog

No mention of Collins at all so far. Does anyone think he might factor in 2019? Just asking for thoughts. Me personally, I would like to see another QB come in, after this year we may need 5 of them.

Horny4TCU

Ideal QB situation:
Hurts - Gets us through 2019
Collins - Develops, solid back up, Senior year he dominates 2020
Rogers - 100%, good to go as back up for 2020, gets to own 2021

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

I gave my opinion. Tough poop. Eat it and enjoy...

Limey Frog

This board so COMPLETELY FAILS to recognize what Kenny Hill accomplished here. In his two years he accounted for 7300 yards of total offense and 57 TDs. He led the nation in 3rd down completion percentage in 2017 and broke the TCU record for completion percentage. He also ran, threw, and caught a TD in the same game TWICE. Kenny Hill was an above average college QB and he absolutely improved while he was on campus. Both he and Sonny deserve way more credit for that than they get.

I don't think I said anything to diminish KH's achievements. I certainly didn't intend to do so. He was a winner at TCU as a senior--how could one disregard the achievement of a senior QB who won ten games, including a great come-back win vs. the Pac 12 runner-up in his last start. KH was a very good TCU quarterback. My point was that he was a highly touted QB recruit whom many anticipated would make the kind of mind-blowing, Houdini-come-Peyton Manning type plays that won Johnny D-bag the Heisman. At Aggy, and at TCU as a junior, whenever he tried to force the game and find that kind of play, interceptions and defeats usually followed. He made a lot of yards, but also threw enough picks to lose games. What value was there in 2016 in his being a top-15 nationally ranked QB in yards and TDs? The team was a disaster, losing games that mere offensive competence without turnovers would have won (e.g. Tech at AGC). He won as as a senior because he learned, obviously with help from our coaches, to play within his skillset--option, safe throws, ball security, etc.

The point here is that folks are talking about Rogers like he might be the next Big XII QB Superman. If you're looking for evidence that Cumbie can bring a highly touted high school QB from potential to mind-blowing ability on the college level, I don't think Kenny Hill fits that narrative. That is all.

TX_Krötenechse

Hurts would be great for TCU, but I just don’t see why he would want to come here when OU is an option.

Not to mention the fact that he hasn’t even said he’s transferring yet ...

Eight

No mention of Collins at all so far. Does anyone think he might factor in 2019? Just asking for thoughts. Me personally, I would like to see another QB come in, after this year we may need 5 of them.

collins is in the mix i would guess as much as anyone else.

not sure the rehab time on the injury so i have no clue if we be available for spring

off the top of my head the only game i would think might qualify for good quarterback play was the kansas game and i am not sure that game is enough to say with confidence collins is the answer in 2019