• The KillerFrogs

Pre-game prayer

Should we keep the football pre-game prayer?

• Total voters

HFrog1999

100% or 0% is pretty harsh.

I find it hard to believe that the Creator of the Universe would send his Son to Earth to deliver a message and then allow Humans to pass on an incorrect version of that message. To me, the Bible is either all or nothing. If someone thinks otherwise, that's fine. However, I would call such beliefs Secular Humanism and not Christianity. Either God created us or we created god.

pcf

I find it hard to believe that the Creator of the Universe would send his Son to Earth to deliver a message and then allow Humans to pass on an incorrect version of that message. To me, the Bible is either all or nothing. If someone thinks otherwise, that's fine. However, I would call such beliefs Secular Humanism and not Christianity. Either God created us or we created god.

The creator would allow humans to do all sorts of evil, but he's a stickler for an uncorrupted message to be delivered?

I'd say that the odds it was corrupted by humans along the way is nearly 100%.

HFrog1999

The creator would allow humans to do all sorts of evil, but he's a stickler for an uncorrupted message to be delivered?

I'd say that the odds it was corrupted by humans along the way is nearly 100%.

That would make it pretty easy for one to pick and choose which parts of the Bible to believe based on one's own personal preferences. Sounds to me like man making god in his own image instead of God making Man?

Well, you've got me convinced. Everything that I want to believe in I'll say is mandated by God and everything I don't want to believe in I'll say was corruption from Evil Humans :wink: :biggrin:

pcf

That would make it pretty easy for one to pick and choose which parts of the Bible to believe based on one's own personal preferences. Sounds to me like man making god in his own image instead of God making Man?

Well, you've got me convinced. Everything that I want to believe in I'll say is mandated by God and everything I don't want to believe in I'll say was corruption from Evil Humans :wink: :biggrin:

God gave us Free Will to do what is right in any situation. The problem is that it isn't always so obvious. We have our own little Supreme Court in our hearts to interpret with. Isn't that the challenge in life? That the rules are not always so clear cut and that the instructions can sometimes seem contradictory?

We have to choose. We can choose to accept or we can choose to think. Thinking is harder and you assume more responsibility. Accepting what you are told is easier, but then you've failed to use the mind you were given by your creator. Who said the Bible is inerrant?

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
Can assure you the "pick & choose" crowd, won't pick these verses.

Matthew 7 >>

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14“For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

A Tree and Its Fruit

15“Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16“You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17“So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18“A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19“Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20“So then, you will know them by their fruits.

21“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22“Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

The Two Foundations

24“Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25“And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. 26“Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27“The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

28When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; 29for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

HFrog1999

Give me five more minutes. I think I see an opportunity to solve this!

Then McGruber blows up...

funny-gifs-macgyver-dress-trick.gif

pcf

Can assure you the "pick & choose" crowd, won't pick these verses.

Matthew 7 >>

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14“For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

A Tree and Its Fruit

15“Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16“You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17“So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18“A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19“Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20“So then, you will know them by their fruits.

21“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22“Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

The Two Foundations

24“Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25“And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. 26“Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27“The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

28When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; 29for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

Go sell all your stuff and give all your money to the poor.

Pretty straightforward. Now let's go find some preacher say what Jesus really meant so we can keep our stuff but still complain about everyone else not following the Bible.

P

PurpleDaze

God gave us Free Will to do what is right in any situation. The problem is that it isn't always so obvious. We have our own little Supreme Court in our hearts to interpret with. Isn't that the challenge in life? That the rules are not always so clear cut and that the instructions can sometimes seem contradictory?

We have to choose. We can choose to accept or we can choose to think. Thinking is harder and you assume more responsibility. Accepting what you are told is easier, but then you've failed to use the mind you were given by your creator. Who said the Bible is inerrant?

I just finished reading Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design this weekend. It contains an excellent discussion of free will vs. determinism.

Rather than summarize, I challenge anyone interested to read the book and make up your own mind.

pcf

I just finished reading Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design this weekend. It contains an excellent discussion of free will vs. determinism.

Rather than summarize, I challenge anyone interested to read the book and make up your own mind.

Is it out on audio book?

HFrog1999

Go sell all your stuff and give all your money to the poor.

Pretty straightforward. Now let's go find some preacher say what Jesus really meant so we can keep our stuff but still complain about everyone else not following the Bible.

I had a very ugly argument with a friend over that verse. My position was that Jesus meant exactly what he said. He wanted to the rich man to give up everything and follow him. My friend said that wasn't very fair. He didn't speak with me for 6 months after that.

asleep003

<BR>To me the type of life style you live should be leading in the exact direction Christ has to offer.... trying to do one good deed a day?? Shouldn't this help you realize how truly broken you and I and the rest of humanity really are? How can your good deeds even come close to offsetting the plethora of sin we commit on a daily basis?<BR><BR>As loving and forgiving as God is, God is also just. God cannot let our sin go unpunished. God cannot simply act as if he didn't see all the sin we've done. That would take away from everything God is. How can you love and trust in a God that is unjust? Thankfully for us, God is perfectly just. <BR><BR>I feel like if you really had an idea of who God really was, you'd see how hopeless humanity is. Thinking you can win God's approval through good deeds is absolutely insulting to God. Who do you think He is?!?! Who do you think you are? DO you honestly think that anything that you could do would earn you th right to be with God? If you do, then I don't think you truly know who God is.....<BR><BR>All of this leads to Jesus.... We can't get to God or be with God on our own, through our own actions. It is ignorant and insulting to God to even think so. Jesus IS the bridge to God. He is the one that allows us to have a relationship with GOd. Through Jesus Christ, we have hope!!!!!!! COME ON MAN!!!! <BR><BR><BR><BR>Just think... What if the Bible is true. What if it REALLY IS THE WORD OF GOD!!! Do you realize that you would spend enternity in hell, eternity seperated from God? I am being EXTREMELY harsh, but it's the truth..... IF the Bible IS indeed true...you and the rest of humanity that doesn't trust in Christ as their savior will spend eternity in hell!! Think about that!! <BR><BR><BR>I once heard this from an a world famous magician that's a proclaimed atheist. He said that if Christians truly believe in a God. If they truly believe in a heaven and hell. And they truly believe that Christ is THE ONE AND ONLY WAY into heaven, they should be telling everyone like crazy. "IF you truly believe in this heaven and hell, you should be telling everyone!!!How much do you have to hate someone to let them go to hell?"<BR><BR>.. Imagine you are sitting on a train track... I see you siiting there and a train is coming. am I going to just let you sit there??? Hell no I'm not!!! I'm going to run and grab you off the tracks before that train hits you. The same thing goes with Christ, man.... i'm not just going to let you sit on that track! The train is coming! How much do I have to hate you to let that train come and kill you? <BR><BR>I cannot express how 100%, absolutely certain I am that Christ is the Savior of the world. I live with the ultimate peace. You know the peace you've been talking about that you have? This is my peace: I know I'm a sinner. I know that nothing I do on this earth can make me worthy of God. However, because I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, i KNOW FOR A FACT, that when I die, I will get to spend eternity with God in heaven! ETERNITY!! No human can even grasp what that word truly means!! I don't live a life of uncertainy... I live a life knowing that if i am to die today, praise God because that means I get to be with Him sooner. <BR><BR><BR>To live is Christ and to die is Gain! Philippians 1:21<BR><BR><BR>Every second I'm on this earth, i do my best to live for Christ... however, when I die, think how much I will gain! <BR><BR>Mistletoad... God Bless you man... I have no idea who you are, but I truly care about you more than you could ever imagine. I hate this line so so much... I think it's the cheesiest line in the books, but I'm going to say it anyway... mistletoad, I'm praying for you man... I truly pray, that you come to realize what God truly has to offer through his Son Jesus..<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Sorry to hear all the fear/elitiest rhetoric in your message Maniac<BR><BR>Cheers! <BR><BR>

asleep003

I find it hard to believe that the Creator of the Universe would send his Son to Earth to deliver a message and then allow Humans to pass on an incorrect version of that message.

It's exactly Christ's message that I am following... again the Sermon on the Mount... not all the hundreds of bickered over writings to make a centralized book of 27 scriptures to make Constantine happy. If that is your all or nothing... then it's yours and maybe not for every one on the planet. Remember Christ had no vote on the canonization process.

To me, the Bible is either all or nothing. If someone thinks otherwise, that's fine. However, I would call such beliefs Secular Humanism and not Christianity. Either God created us or we created god.

We were created and man has historicaly worshiped him in the best manner he had with what available knowleged, information, culture, imagination and faith at their diposal and at that particular time.

Cheers!