• The KillerFrogs

Practice updates......

XIIFrog

https://tcu.rivals.com/news/practice-report-8-18-8

Sounds like the team is a little banged up.

"We don't have anybody in red shirts that we don't think will be back by the first game."

I'll take the situation we are in every single fall compared to injury outcomes we've experienced in past camps. Still knocking on wood as we have a couple weeks to go yet before our first game, but we are in great shape so far injury wise.

Waccy Frog

- There are a high number of players wearing the “redshirts”, meaning they have slight injuries. Among those players are Ty Summers, Ranthony Texada, Austin Schlottmann, Innis Gaines, Montrel Wilson, Jalen Reagor and Kyle Hicks. Patterson said all players should be ready by Jackson State.

Yep - injuries pretty clearly caused by being small and playing out of position. No doubt about it.

PO Frog

Besides one DE position where are we outsized? Besides one DE and maybe one DL position where are we inexperienced? Besides along the DL where are guys playing out of position?
One of our starting LBs (according to GP today) is a safety and has never played a game there before and he and Howard are two of the smallest backers in the conference. The one GP brags on the most at that position has played less than 5 games at the position and is currently hurt. Our most experienced player at LB is now a defensive end (and hurt), along with Collier who has little experience there. The actual LB recruit that was brought in is now playing DE, where he's never played before. Boesen is long and lean and not terribly effective when run at. Small and Orr scare exactly nobody when coming downhill to stop a run. Texada is tiny regardless of how much he can bench press. I'm not sure how you can say that we aren't undersized when every single player comes in and moves forward on defense.
Our DTs have gotten bigger so that's a plus.

PO Frog

- There are a high number of players wearing the “redshirts”, meaning they have slight injuries. Among those players are Ty Summers, Ranthony Texada, Austin Schlottmann, Innis Gaines, Montrel Wilson, Jalen Reagor and Kyle Hicks. Patterson said all players should be ready by Jackson State.

Yep - injuries pretty clearly caused by being small and playing out of position. No doubt about it.
Well, two of those guys are playing different positions than what they played in HS. And Texada is small.

Waccy Frog

One of our starting LBs (according to GP today) is a safety and has never played a game there before and he and Howard are two of the smallest backers in the conference. The one GP brags on the most at that position has played less than 5 games at the position and is currently hurt. Our most experienced player at LB is now a defensive end (and hurt), along with Collier who has little experience there. The actual LB recruit that was brought in is now playing DE, where he's never played before. Boesen is long and lean and not terribly effective when run at. Small and Orr scare exactly nobody when coming downhill to stop a run. Texada is tiny regardless of how much he can bench press. I'm not sure how you can say that we aren't undersized when every single player comes in and moves forward on defense.

Wow you are throwing a lot of shade at some pretty dang good players. Have you thought about finding another team to root for? Maybe one you like?

PO Frog

Wow you are throwing a lot of shade at some pretty dang good players. Have you thought about finding another team to root for? Maybe one you like?
Aren't all of those points fairly factual? I'm not throwing shade at anyone. I think we've recruited poorly and now guys have to play positions they aren't suited for. Not every switch is the product of a keen eye for talent, a la Jerry Hughes or Sam Carter. I think we have done this out of necessity and are trying to cover for it by blowing smoke. I hope I'm wrong and would prefer not to have my fandom questioned because I want us to be great. Pretty weak on your part considering the time and money I invest in the program.

PO Frog

The last two recruiting classes are the best we've ever had at TCU. What are you talking about with recruited poorly?
Agree but we've struggled at recruiting LB and DL until this last class. So safeties become LBs and LBs become DEs, stressing all three positions. Sammy Douglas is the only actual LB that we recruited as a LB that even gets meaningful snaps at the position. And that's over how many classes? 4 or 5? Maybe our two backer system scares some guys off but I think we've clearly failed to get our top targets there. DE is more a factor of bad breaks and off-field stuff it seems like, but we are still thin there and it has a domino effect.

jack the frog

Agree but we've struggled at recruiting LB and DL until this last class. So safeties become LBs and LBs become DEs, stressing all three positions. Sammy Douglas is the only actual LB that we recruited as a LB that even gets meaningful snaps at the position. And that's over how many classes? 4 or 5? Maybe our two backer system scares some guys off but I think we've clearly failed to get our top targets there. DE is more a factor of bad breaks and off-field stuff it seems like, but we are still thin there and it has a domino effect.

Speaking of domino effect, we are going to be thin somewhere by definition when you consider that we carry 24 wide-receivers. To compare:

Alabama 16
Baylor 16
LSU 17
TECH 19

I don't know if it is our offensive coaching influence, the offensive scheme, the coaches seemingly panicked response to Baylor over the last two years manifested by what seems to be an attempt to stack WR numbers and getting faster and smaller on defense, or the fact that we just cannot find anyone that can catch the rock however we carry more wide-outs than just about anyone. It would be fair to say that if we would probably have seven more defenders gaining experience and adding depth on a typical GP led team if we were at an average WR carry rate. Our defensive depth deficiency is no accident. I hope we can find ten or so capable receivers with a few back-ups and go back to stacking defensive talent over the next few years.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

So overall 3-4 undersized guys, 2-3 playing out of position, and a handful with minor injuires...... that's a far cry from "everybody".

Last edited:

Wexahu

Speaking of domino effect, we are going to be thin somewhere by definition when you consider that we carry 24 wide-receivers. To compare:

Alabama 16
Baylor 16
LSU 17
TECH 19

I don't know if it is our offensive coaching influence, the offensive scheme, the coaches seemingly panicked response to Baylor over the last two years manifested by what seems to be an attempt to stack WR numbers and getting faster and smaller on defense, or the fact that we just cannot find anyone that can catch the rock however we carry more wide-outs than just about anyone. It would be fair to say that if we would probably have seven more defenders gaining experience and adding depth on a typical GP led team if we were at an average WR carry rate. Our defensive depth deficiency is no accident. I hope we can find ten or so capable receivers with a few back-ups and go back to stacking defensive talent over the next few years.

We don't carry 24 scholarship WRs. Not even close. And that's really all that matters, how many are on scholarship. In fact, with all of the WRs graduating after this year, there was actually a need to restock the position.

Purp

These all seem like valid concerns given GPs comments about how he hasn't been this deep with quality talent at LB in 3-4 years. For some reason, if GP likes his LBs I'm going to be happy with them too. Call me crazy.