• The KillerFrogs

Possible Incoming Basketball Transfers

Wexahu

Thankfully, it sounds like the NCAA is seriously considering a two-year minimum scholarship for grad transfers, which should drastically reduce the numbers of kids jumping ship. This is becoming a joke, as expected.

Rose Bowl

We need a stretch 4: a big who can make 3s. Noi leaving really exacerbates our shooting issues. Pat Andree, Nate Sestina, someone like that.

Sestina committed Kentucky. Andree would be ideal.

I believe Barlow is more of a 4 than a 5. He doesn’t seem to like the physical play inside. I really want a true 5 who can give us good minutes when Samuel is off the floor.

MTfrog5

Thankfully, it sounds like the NCAA is seriously considering a two-year minimum scholarship for grad transfers, which should drastically reduce the numbers of kids jumping ship. This is becoming a joke, as expected.
This is the one transfer rule I actually don’t mind. If a kid graduates then I don’t really understand punishing anyone involved. They did what they needed to do in the classroom to get an opportunity to play elsewhere if wanted.

Wexahu

This is the one transfer rule I actually don’t mind. If a kid graduates then I don’t really understand punishing anyone involved. They did what they needed to do in the classroom to get an opportunity to play elsewhere if wanted.

It's not about punishing anyone, it's about making sure the competition is equitable. The bigger, higher profile programs have a HUGE advantage with a rule like this. The idea that rules concerning athletic leagues and competitions should mirror that of general society is ridiculous.

The vast majority of these kids aren't transferring to obtain a graduate degree, they just want to play ball somewhere else.

MTfrog5

It's not about punishing anyone, it's about making sure the competition is equitable. The bigger, higher profile programs have a HUGE advantage with a rule like this. The idea that rules concerning athletic leagues and competitions should mirror that of general society is ridiculous.

The vast majority of these kids aren't transferring to obtain a graduate degree, they just want to play ball somewhere else.
Nobody is saying they are getting a graduate degree. These kids that come from smaller schools want to prove that their stats are legit and get a better chance to play pro. If they are able to get their degree, good for them. They earned to try and play elsewhere.

Wexahu

They earned to try and play elsewhere.

Says who? They graduated from the school they chose to go to out of high school. How does that all the sudden mean they've earned the right to go play college basketball anywhere they want without sitting out a year?

I'm pretty confident everyone will feel quite a bit different about this rule when a blue blood with a big hole in their roster comes and snags our junior or senior-to-be starting quarterback for a year or two. What if Ross Blacklock graduates next spring and decides finishing out at UT might be good for him so he can get a bit more exposure? How would you feel about that?

MTfrog5

Says who? They graduated from the school they chose to go to out of high school. How does that all the sudden mean they've earned the right to go play college basketball anywhere they want without sitting out a year?

I'm pretty confident everyone will feel quite a bit different about this rule when a blue blood with a big hole in their roster comes and snags our junior or senior-to-be starting quarterback for a year or two. What if Ross Blacklock graduates next spring and decides finishing out at UT might be good for him so he can get a bit more exposure? How would you feel about that?
If a kid graduates, he can do whatever the hell he wants. Most of these kids that are transferring either run out of eligibly and need another year, or aren’t good enough for the draft yet anyway. Using your example Blacklock, he will have a better chance at going pro than trying to play elsewhere. But if he graduates then more power to him. Would it suck? Yes without question but good for him graduating because as many learn the hard way, the NFL isn’t forever.

Eight

agree. if a kid finishes their degree then why should they be subject to being held to the school?

CryptoMiner

The new rule does not effect the graduate transfers only non-graduate transfers.

Eight

who is not sitting out in these basketball transfers?

i am pretty sure mtfrog's point has been that he is okay with no restrictions on grad transfer and i am as well.

don't recall anyone here in this current conversation advocating for the immediate eligibility of players for any reason and we have not seen the waivers in basketball nearly like we have in football.

Wexahu

The new rule does not effect the graduate transfers only non-graduate transfers.

I don't think that is correct. I think the new rule being considered is two year minimum scholarship for graduate transfers. Theoretically, non-graduate kids have to sit a year (although as we know now there are ways around that too) so that kind of mitigates the flood of those transfers.

CountryFrog

I'm like most on Lat and Barlow. They did basically nothing. Barlow played 52 minutes and scored 2 points with 8 rebounds and Lat scored 36 in 134 minutes with 21 rebounds. It is what it is. We need at least 1 big grad, it's extremely critical.
I understand why people wouldn't go into next year counting on huge things from either of these two players. On the other side of that I really don't understand why one season with minimal playing time for both has so many people assuming these guys won't be able to improve and be contributors next year.

And honestly for Lat, my only real concern is staying healthy. I saw lots of signs that he can be a really good player if he can stay healthy. Obviously that's a big and very important IF but anyone can get hurt so we could say the same thing about every player.

Wexahu

who is not sitting out in these basketball transfers?

i am pretty sure mtfrog's point has been that he is okay with no restrictions on grad transfer and i am as well.

don't recall anyone here in this current conversation advocating for the immediate eligibility of players for any reason and we have not seen the waivers in basketball nearly like we have in football.

Let the kid go play wherever he wants. And require a two-year scholarship minimum because that's generally what it takes to complete a graduate degree. I'd be fine with that compromise. I think it'd be a great rule if the NCAA passes it.

Eight

Let the kid go play wherever he wants. And require a two-year scholarship minimum because that's generally what it takes to complete a graduate degree. I'd be fine with that compromise. I think it'd be a great rule if the NCAA passes it.

so a kid has to graduate within 3 years to make the grad transfer thing work out?

why are you punishing kids who have busted their asses to play ball and graduate,

why make up rules that protect programs when in many of these programs there is no loyalty to the kids?

the scholarships from the schools are not guaranteed from 5 years if i understand correctly, they are year to year so why hold the players to a higher standard than the programs?

Wexahu

so a kid has to graduate within 3 years to make the grad transfer thing work out?

why are you punishing kids who have busted their asses to play ball and graduate,

why make up rules that protect programs when in many of these programs there is no loyalty to the kids?

the scholarships from the schools are not guaranteed from 5 years if i understand correctly, they are year to year so why hold the players to a higher standard than the programs?

I would hardly call requiring a kid to continue playing for one more year for the school he decided to attend out of high school and the school he decided to finish his degree at (IF he wanted to continue playing NCAA sports) as "punishment".

You make rules to protect competition. Why not let schools like Texas that can obviously afford it hand out 200 scholarships for football players? That'd be 115 more high school football kids that would benefit from a free college education.....wouldn't that be great? I could give you a laundry list of rules in place that some might think are "unfair" but are there to protect the integrity of the game.

I just get tired of the narrative that kids are held hostage by NCAA rules. Any kid can transfer to a different school every semester if they want to. They can do whatever the hell they want whenever they want. But IF they want to play NCAA-sanctioned sports they have to follow NCAA rules.

4th. down

I understand why people wouldn't go into next year counting on huge things from either of these two players. On the other side of that I really don't understand why one season with minimal playing time for both has so many people assuming these guys won't be able to improve and be contributors next year.

And honestly for Lat, my only real concern is staying healthy. I saw lots of signs that he can be a really good player if he can stay healthy. Obviously that's a big and very important IF but anyone can get hurt so we could say the same thing about every player.

The main thing I noticed from both was no aggression, nor did it appear to me they were excited about being out on the floor. I guess Jamie can use them for scrimmages but against Big 12 competition, not so fast. Hope I'm wrong.

CryptoMiner

I don't think that is correct. I think the new rule being considered is two year minimum scholarship for graduate transfers. Theoretically, non-graduate kids have to sit a year (although as we know now there are ways around that too) so that kind of mitigates the flood of those transfers.

Yeah you are right, read something in the paper this morning that implied something different (fake news).

Now they are saying the rule change most likely will not pass.

Eight

I would hardly call requiring a kid to continue playing for one more year for the school he decided to attend out of high school and the school he decided to finish his degree at (IF he wanted to continue playing NCAA sports) as "punishment".

You make rules to protect competition. Why not let schools like Texas that can obviously afford it hand out 200 scholarships for football players? That'd be 115 more high school football kids that would benefit from a free college education.....wouldn't that be great? I could give you a laundry list of rules in place that some might think are "unfair" but are there to protect the integrity of the game.

I just get tired of the narrative that kids are held hostage by NCAA rules. Any kid can transfer to a different school every semester if they want to. They can do whatever the hell they want whenever they want. But IF they want to play NCAA-sanctioned sports they have to follow NCAA rules.

why do you pose these extreme situations to make your case when they aren't what we are talking about?

you are the only one who keeps talking about the university of texas and football.

in regards to protect competition please tell me in the most recent ncaa men's basketball tournament how many of the blue blood name programs laden with grad transfer talent they plucked from smaller programs?

you are so far out in left field on this it is scary. if a kid graduates with his degree after three years and only has one more year of eligibility why force him to stay at a school an extra year? why subject him to a rule that is only designed to protect the programs?

these programs are businesses plain and simple and the more rules you put in place to control the players the more they become employees and that will kill the competition of college sports and not grad transfers.