• The KillerFrogs

Peel back the onion layers boys

Eight

It’s VERY common in my industry for the new r

It’s very common in my industry for the new boss to bring in his “people” and let go some of the previous staff simply for not being his people.

definitely could see that and i understand the need to have a united front to the team on the coaching staff, common ways to teach things etc....

also nice to have someone who will call your [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] at times as bumpas would and i think there in lies the problem as gary doesn't hold any other defensive coach with the same regard he had for bumpas or has for himself

? Name one. I can not think of one. I agree with you there probably is, but I could not think of one example.
Don't have time or the database to search, but "the history on college football is a long time". Heck in TCU history alone, Abe Martin and Dutch Meyer were probably in their positions too long. They don't meet your exact criteria, but for example Dutch Meyer had one year with a winning conference record in his last 8 years. He was very middling to finish out his career:
YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
TCU Horned Frogs (Southwest Conference) (1934–1952)
1934TCU8–43–34th
1935TCU12–15–12ndW Sugar
1936TCU9–2–24–1–12ndW Cotton16
1937TCU4–4–23–1–22nd
1938TCU11–06–01stW Sugar1
1939TCU3–71–56th
1940TCU3–72–45th
1941TCU7–3–14–1–1T–2ndL Orange
1942TCU7–34–23rd
1943TCU2–61–4T–5th
1944TCU7–3–13–1–11stL Cotton
1945TCU5–53–3T–3rd
1946TCU2–7–12–4T–5th
1947TCU4–5–22–3–14thL Delta
1948TCU4–5–11–4–16th
1949TCU6–3–13–3T–3rd
1950TCU5–53–3T–3rd
1951TCU6–55–11stL Cotton1011
1952TCU4–4–22–2–24th
TCU:109–79–1357–46–9
Total:109–79–13

Abe Martin also drifted into middling status the last 7 years, with only a couple winning conference records:

The rumblings have definitely started to pick up steam. Gotta believe both Traylor and Dykes would much rather be in FW than Lubbock.
Agreed. National media starting to report on the program’s issues will add fuel to the fire. We have to start asking the “who can we get that’s better than Gary question” though. I like Dykes, but my gut tells me we need to go younger. Throw the bag at PJ Fleck or Billy Napier? Napier will be a hot name for LSU job, but I would love either of those two guys at TCU.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Wow.

Two things about that report: 1.) In the previous Coaching Drama, a strict silence was kept on details and only the "approved" messages got out. Very good communications discipline. Either that discipline has broken, or they wanted that to get out publicly. 2.) The pack has been loosed, and they have the scent in their noses. GMFP, should the Frogs bumble their way to defeat yet again, will face an avalanche of Media attention as the Deathwatch officially begins. We all know how much he loves Media attention. With a week of attention like that, and another probable loss at the end of it, that long safari in Tanzania is looking pretty good. Maybe a nice dive trip out to Truk...

Toad Jones

If Patterson is not retired or fired at the end of this season (let alone given an extension) , I’d have to believe he’d be the first coach in NCAA history to have an overall conference record like he does , with 5 of the last 6 years below .500…for this to happen. I can not think of another example that merits more change (let alone no possibility of contract extension).
There are a few decision makers who speak louder than others.. Those few believe Gary deserves the courtesy of letting him stay until the contract ends. Plus, there is good amount of money which will owed to Patterson. This is pure speculation from me based on my experience. Immediately my thoughts are, well here we are again, history repeating itself and we were lucky to have the wins in the first place. I would like an answer to ---just what is the vision of football (the hard answer please). Some thoughts are, TCU can't compete with the more active programs, the money needed and be satisfied with being just competitive and the notoriety it gives no matter the win proficiency. Sounds like SMU a little.

Today if Patterson makes an announcement of one more year, you'll hear more excuses than you ever thought. Problem with all of this, next year we have a 600% (out of a 1000%) record and he decides to stay another or the school gives him an extension. Then next year again, the injuries pile up b/c Gary makes the boys put on pads on Wednesday to get them aggressive for Saturday. Then the injuries pile up again. That was the thought behind the talking head on tv. Hard to break old habits b/c it worked at one time.

Moose Stuff

There are a few decision makers who speak louder than others.. Those few believe Gary deserves the courtesy of letting him stay until the contract ends. Plus, there is good amount of money which will owed to Patterson. This is pure speculation from me based on my experience. Immediately my thoughts are, well here we are again, history repeating itself and we were lucky to have the wins in the first place. I would like an answer to ---just what is the vision of football (the hard answer please). Some thoughts are, TCU can't compete with the more active programs, the money needed and be satisfied with being just competitive and the notoriety it gives no matter the win proficiency. Sounds like SMU a little.

Today if Patterson makes an announcement of one more year, you'll hear more excuses than you ever thought. Problem with all of this, next year we have a 600% (out of a 1000%) record and he decides to stay another or the school gives him an extension. Then next year again, the injuries pile up b/c Gary makes the boys put on pads on Wednesday to get them aggressive for Saturday. Then the injuries pile up again. That was the thought behind the talking head on tv. Hard to break old habits b/c it worked at one time.
If Gary stays we easily draw a combined butts in seats attendance of under 100,000 next year while going 4-8 at best. Our season ticket sales will plummet, our applications/enrollment will be impacted, recruiting will completely tank, the better players on the team will head elsewhere, and I won’t watch one second of it. Anyone not horrified by any of that beyond the part about me can KMFA.

If Gary stays we easily draw a combined butts in seats attendance of under 100,000 next year while going 4-8 at best. Our season ticket sales will plummet, our applications/enrollment will be impacted, recruiting will completely tank, the better players on the team will head elsewhere, and I won’t watch one second of it. Anyone not horrified by any of that beyond the part about me can KMFA.
100%. It’s a very grim and sobering thought, but it’s probably the reality we face if the university isn’t proactive to make a change. VA Tech let Frank Beamer leave on his terms, and they’re still recovering from his last few years.

Ultimately, Toad’s theory is probably right and that’s my biggest fear with TCU. Complacency. Sure it might be the right thing to do from a “respect what Gary built perspective,” but at the end of the day CFB is a business. Now more than ever with NIL. If TCU wants to keep up and at the very least keep fans and alum interested, they must be proactive with change.

eh0215

I'd assume more baylor fans in our stands than frog fans will help push this along.

35k real attendance. 25k of them bears fans.

It will be hard for us to have low attendance like the early 2000s again. Too many opposing Big 12 fans in the metro area.

Don Sanders

So funny, we are now to the point, where people on this thread, say that will quite
being fans if Patterson continues. Why wait for that result, take off now and be happy for doing so.