• The KillerFrogs

Passing game woes may not all be on KH, receivers, or Cumbie

Diehard

OK - This may not be popular are even right, but here is one thing to consider when looking at our passing game problems. The two guys who ran our GOD AWFUL offense just a few years ago are now the two receiver coaches......... Just saying!

The Degenerate Frog

More difficult to pass when defense drops 8 or 9 into coverage. This is why I was pleased to see KH take off a few more times and get the first down with his feet. What I am concerned about is our unwillingness to open up the passing game using play action. Iowa State and Texas both showed us that when we show run, the LBs attack leaving more space for the receivers to run, or find a spot in the zone scheme. Instead, we seem content to run the ball with 7 defenders in the box against our 5-6 blockers, with hopes that the RB makes a play (which we sometimes do) or have KH fit the ball into tight zone coverage if we want to do anything more than a WR screen.

West Virginia beat the Iowa State scheme... the same one that beat us and Tech... because they leveraged the play action pass, and their QB is better at throwing the deep ball. Because of this, I dont see Okie State losing against Iowa St... they will do the same.

Just my 2 cents.. my credentials include coaching fantasy football rosters since I had Kurt Warner as a backup on my roster when the Rams ended up taking the Super Bowl... 2001 maybe?

TheFDN

More difficult to pass when defense drops 8 or 9 into coverage. This is why I was pleased to see KH take off a few more times and get the first down with his feet. What I am concerned about is our unwillingness to open up the passing game using play action. Iowa State and Texas both showed us that when we show run, the LBs attack leaving more space for the receivers to run, or find a spot in the zone scheme. Instead, we seem content to run the ball with 7 defenders in the box against our 5-6 blockers, with hopes that the RB makes a play (which we sometimes do) or have KH fit the ball into tight zone coverage if we want to do anything more than a WR screen.

West Virginia beat the Iowa State scheme... the same one that beat us and Tech... because they leveraged the play action pass, and their QB is better at throwing the deep ball. Because of this, I dont see Okie State losing against Iowa St... they will do the same.

Just my 2 cents.. my credentials include coaching fantasy football rosters since I had Kurt Warner as a backup on my roster when the Rams ended up taking the Super Bowl... 2001 maybe?
1999. "Greatest show on turf"

SwissArmyFrog

Many of our offensive "woes", both passing and running, are connected to the Patrick Morris injury.
We urgently need him back at center.

Don't believe this, at all. Not saying Morris is not the better center, but I simply don't believe the 'drop in offensive performance" is due significantly/mainly to Schlottmann being in for Morris.

Wexahu

It's not Schlottman. With Morris back at C, Schlottman replaces Iwuagwu at G. It's a huge difference.

The bigger difference is that we’ve been playing against much better defenses than we did the first 4 games. JSU, Arkansas and SMU have poor to terrible D’s and Okie State just gave up 62 points and about 800 yards to OU. I’d like to have Morris back too, but people are making way too much of his absence. It’s not like when he returns we’re going to start road grading teams.

Sebastian S

It looked to me like we dumbed down the offensive play calling so KH wouldn't throw interception.
Which is odd.

Outside the ISU game, he hasn't really thrown very many interceptions.

Like any other offense, this offense works when we get good chunks of yards on first and second down.

Bedlam was just weird, I don't think both defenses are that bad. It was like TCU - BU 2014, our defense wasn't as bad as that game shows.

I think Oklahoma State's defense is better.

cheese83

The bigger difference is that we’ve been playing against much better defenses than we did the first 4 games. JSU, Arkansas and SMU have poor to terrible D’s and Okie State just gave up 62 points and about 800 yards to OU. I’d like to have Morris back too, but people are making way too much of his absence. It’s not like when he returns we’re going to start road grading teams.

I think giving Darius more touches makes a big difference too. Against Okie St and SMU he got tons of work. I like Hicks but Anderson is a better back IMO bc he can take it to the house at any moment.

Also Kenny needs to take off more when they only rush 3. He did it at the beginning of the game and we were moving the ball. Then they started spying him and kind of shut it down. That’s where Cumbie has to come in and design some rollouts that give him the option to run or pass based on their reactions.

We also need more play action or run some counters. There were too many times we lined up to run and it was obvious even to the layman where we were going.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There were a couple of play-action deep balls, neither of which were caught because they sailed far away from the receiver. They were good calls for the situation, and the only thing that blew the execution was the bad passes.

Considering that KH was pretty accurate before the Kansas game, and not so much since, was he possibly dinged up in that game?

Sebastian S

I think we lost Morris late in the 3rd Q vs OSU, besides Anderson's last scoring run, we did not do much in that 4Q. Was it the play calling paired with Morris being out?

Morris being out also coincides with Hicks coming back.

So you have 2 things that pop out, is it because Morris is out or is it because Anderson is not getting as many chances with Hicks being back.

At this point, who knows.

Certainly would help to get Morris back.

hindry

we ran our offense to great affect in 1st qtr. Then t-sips wised up(or conversely our O line let up) . but UT gave tons of pressure. what KH did was not throw needless interceptions , where alot of points get scored. Stats pretty close to other meaningful games. 2 sacks and 7 TFL @ 24 yds. Close to average for our quality games this season.

t-sips within 4 pts on average against the best teams they played. the point is UT much better than their W/L

i think we played a much better game than it looked like. they had a good defense for 2-1/2 qtrs. We had a great D for 4 qtrs. They had no O and we performed well against a tufff D.

Wexahu

It looked to me like we dumbed down the offensive play calling so KH wouldn't throw interception.

There's no doubt the game plan was conservative, and rightfully so. GP was probably convinced Texas would have a lot of trouble moving the ball (he was right) and the only way we were going to lose the game was by getting careless and turning the ball over. Jumping out to the quick lead was hugely important because we could stick with the gameplan.

crash813

Its pretty apparent that KH either lost his confidence or has regressed with his accurancy. He's missing wide open recievers consisitantly. But in general, he's not forcing it so less turnovers. The game plan is also super conservative. I just wish it was a little more creative. Run, run, bad pass, punt is comically predictable. Throw in a tunnel screen or Turpin sweep every three series and thats what the last 2 games have been.

ifrog

Its pretty apparent that KH either lost his confidence or has regressed with his accurancy. He's missing wide open recievers consisitantly. But in general, he's not forcing it so less turnovers. The game plan is also super conservative. I just wish it was a little more creative. Run, run, bad pass, punt is comically predictable. Throw in a tunnel screen or Turpin sweep every three series and thats what the last 2 games have been.
Exaggerate much?

Moose Stuff

Worth noting that our offensive game plan very likely would have resulted in us scoring 1 more point on the road than WV did at home if we don’t have 2 moronic sequences inside the 5 yard line.