• The KillerFrogs

OT - The Von Erichs

Pharm Frog

Yes. Saw the Von Erich’s at the Sportatorium and many others there and at the Sam Houston Coliseum for Paul Boesch wrestling. I saw Kerry and Kevin wrestle in either Gilmer or Mineola or somewhere out that way when my grandad and dad took me. The matches were staged. The fights in the stands and the parking lots were very much real.

Chongo94

Another decent doc is called Beyond the Mat. Think it has Mick Foley and Jake the Snake in it. But yes Benoit was a main factor in WWE and how they handled concussions. Eddie Guerrero is another tragedy that made them look at policies

Oh yeah, saw that one as well. Good stuff. That was back when Jake the Snake looked like he was at death’s door.

The beatings these guys take and took is just insane to me.

Chongo94

I can’t believe no one has posted a photo of Lacey von Erich....

Here you go...
lacey-von-erich-12.jpg

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Saw a documentary on them last night on the Viceland channel. Really good stuff. Remember seeing them on tv as a kid but never in person. EVERYONE knew who the Von Erichs were back in the day. Any of you old olds ever see them in person?

Knew Kerry had had his foot amputated but thought it later towards the end, didn’t know he wrestled for years that way. Hard to imagine everything that befell that family.

Link to the documentary that I believe is able to watch for anyone interested. Around 45 mins.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/the-last-of-the-von-erichs/5c1a9c65be407707c961c831

My dad would take me down to the Sportatorium on Friday nights and then we would go back on Saturday mornings. We went to Texas Stadium and the Cotton Bowl to watch them too.

HToady

Was on a flight with them once coming back from Dayton Ohio. Apparently they wrestled under a different name up there...and were the bad guys!

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Saw a documentary on them last night on the Viceland channel. Really good stuff. Remember seeing them on tv as a kid but never in person. EVERYONE knew who the Von Erichs were back in the day. Any of you old olds ever see them in person?

Knew Kerry had had his foot amputated but thought it later towards the end, didn’t know he wrestled for years that way. Hard to imagine everything that befell that family.

Link to the documentary that I believe is able to watch for anyone interested. Around 45 mins.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/the-last-of-the-von-erichs/5c1a9c65be407707c961c831
I remember seeing Fritz Von Erich wrestle once. I think it was against Gypsy Rosario

netty2424

It was on last night, yes. I think you’ll be able to watch it through the link provided. Might have to provide your cable provider info though.
I guess the DVR was smart enough to record the second showing at 11 last night as barely any of the first run was recorded.

I remember several of their deaths, but I do not remember the youngest taking his life too.

Wrestling/celebrity/whatever aside, what a tragic series of events for that family. Unreal.

Zubaz

Was on a flight with them once coming back from Dayton Ohio. Apparently they wrestled under a different name up there...and were the bad guys!
I believe they did the same Von Erich - Freebird rivalry in Georgia Championship Wrestling around the same time, except the Von Erichs were the Texan heels and the Freebirds were the Southern Cross flying babyfaces. Could do that sorta thing back then when everything was regional.

SwissArmyFrog

...when you are little and watching on a crappy 8" black and white tv tuned in to channel 11 you are happy to be able to make out shapes

LOL, Saturday Night Wrestling!!! 10:00-11:30 every Saturday night on channel 11! So many memories...

Flying Red Bastien
Mad Dog Vachon
"...and here come the midgets!" I told my daughter they used to have midget wrestling, and she didn't believe me, at first, haha.
Jose Lothario
The Spoiler, a masked wrestler managed by a guy (Bronco Lubitsch?) who later became a ref.