• The KillerFrogs

OT--One bombing suspect dead, the other on the run

Deep Purple

No. My whole argument with Deep was about having any reason/evidence to assume these guys could've had more bombs. I said there was obvious evidence to suggest that they may, since they had so many more bombs on them when they got in a gunfight with the cops, and per usual Deep got all smarmy and tried to tell me how wrong I was.

No, that isn't even remotely close to what I said. And you may want to look up the definition of "smarmy" because the way you used it above makes no sense.

sous vide

article-2311809-196396F4000005DC-837_634x729.jpg

Argyle would like the scarves
Isadora Duncan lived again...at least for a little while. Damn scarves.

TCURiggs

Do we have any credible reason to suspect there are other bombs, or are you just rationalizing to justify curtailing his citizenship rights out of an understandable desire for payback?
Other than the fact that he's left bombs in public and thrown bombs at police? No. No other credible reason
Leaving bombs in public was the initial crime specifically targeted for the Marathon to maximize exposure and casualties. Throwing bombs at police was in the heat of a firefight. What reason do we have to believe that, while in desperate flight for his life, he took the time to plant other bombs?
Because he's obviously bat chit crazy and had plenty of time to do other mischievous things between the initial bombing and today's events. Hell, I believe he even had time to go back to his dorm room for the night on Wednesday. I'm sure he just watched re-runs of Friends and posted on KillerChechnians.com though.
Hell, he could have contacted alien conspirators and arranged for the invasion and conquest of planet Earth. Because he's bat-chit crazy, you know.

Based on the possible threat, we should suspend habeas corpus and do away with trial by jury.
No. My whole argument with Deep was about having any reason/evidence to assume these guys could've had more bombs. I said there was obvious evidence to suggest that they may, since they had so many more bombs on them when they got in a gunfight with the cops, and per usual Deep got all smarmy and tried to tell me how wrong I was.
No, that isn't even remotely close to what I said. And you may want to look up the definition of "smarmy" because the way you used it above makes no sense.

You're right, Deep. That's not even remotely close to what you said.

Definition of SMARMY

: revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness <a tone of smarmy self-satisfaction &mdash; New Yorker>​

Looks like I was way off on that too, huh?

Deep Purple

You're right, Deep. That's not even remotely close to what you said.

Correct.

We were arguing about whether the guy should be mirandized, not executing a search warrant on his home. You justified dispensing with Miranda because the guy may have planted other bombs and we needed to find out. I never said he didn't plant other bombs, I challenged whether we had reason to believe he did. Not the same thing.

As it turns out, he didn't plant other bombs. He had other bombs in his home, which were discovered by search, not by foregoing Miranda.

So you can dispense with the bait-and-switch argument.

Definition of SMARMY

: revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness <a tone of smarmy self-satisfaction &mdash; New Yorker>​

Looks like I was way off on that too, huh?

You certainly were, since you apparently don't understand the definition. Do you have any idea what "ingratiating" means?

intended or adopted in order to gain favor : flattering.

Someone who's being smarmy is being smugly flattering and unctuous when they don't really mean it in order get on your good side and win favor.

Do you really think that's what I was trying to do? Or did you mistake smarmy as a synonym for patronizing? Because based on the way you used it, that's what it sounds like.

HFrog1999

I bet they love this thread in Chechnya. I've heard that the terrorist groups are splitting off into a Deep Faction and a Riggs faction.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Correct.

We were arguing about whether the guy should be mirandized, not executing a search warrant on his home. You justified dispensing with Miranda because the guy may have planted other bombs and we needed to find out. I never said he didn't plant other bombs, I challenged whether we had reason to believe he did. Not the same thing.

As it turns out, he didn't plant other bombs. He had other bombs in his home, which were discovered by search, not by foregoing Miranda.

You certainly were, since you apparently don't understand the definition. Do you have any idea what "ingratiating" means?

Someone who's being smarmy is being smugly flattering and unctuous when they don't really mean it in order get on your good side and win favor.

Do you really think that's what I was trying to do? Or did you mistake smarmy as a synonym for patronizing? Because based on the way you used it, that's what it sounds like.

Just stop while you are behind.

TCURiggs

Correct.

I never said he shouldn't be Mirandized. If you'll go back and look, I actually thought Newbomb and Frisky had great points regarding his right to be Mirandized. I was pretty neutral when it came to his Miranda rights... didn't care either way. I just thought it was crazy when you asked, "do we have any credible reason to suspect that there are other bombs?," so I jumped in. That's clearly the only point I was arguing with you, so you can dispense with the bait-and-switch argument.

As far as "smarmy" goes, I was referring to the Urban Dictonary interpretation that focuses more on the "smug" and "false earnestness" parts of the definition:

smarmy

A certain attitude often accompanied by a squinty look and a superior smile that makes you instantly hate a person. Similar to snobby.
He/she/it is totally smarmy, I want to punch them in the face.

Cheesy, pretentious, not as attractive as one thinks one is and/or greasy and slimy.

Also, that which is full of smarm.
Howard McGillin and Lance Bass are so smarmy that they live on the smarm farm. MSL and J.Tart can come, too.

sleezy, self-centered and insincere. one whom has his own agenda which conflicts with the interests of others. very fake and/or two-faced.
the animation chair at a particular art school fort lauderdale, florida is an insincere smarmy [Jerry Sandusky] who treats students like lower life forms.

jake102

I was reading about it last night and I guess a big reason why they don't want to Mirandize him is so that he won't be able to have a lawyer. If he gets Miranda, then he gets a lawyer to be with him during questioning and going forward. At this point, no lawyer.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I was reading about it last night and I guess a big reason why they don't want to Mirandize him is so that he won't be able to have a lawyer. If he gets Miranda, then he gets a lawyer to be with him during questioning and going forward. At this point, no lawyer.
and the lawyer ends the questioning. The downside I guess for the US is anythin he says at this point couldnt be used against him.

froginaustin

As of Monday morning, Ap. 22, apparently he has a ventilator down his gullet and is heavily sedated, so this whole discussion is moot. It may be a long time and it may be never before he communicates with anyone, even taping with his finger or whatever digit he might have that taps.

I really hope he is debriefed before he goes to his 72 virgins, but that may not happen.

froginaustin

and the lawyer ends the questioning. The downside I guess for the US is anythin he says at this point couldnt be used against him.

Not necessarily. Might bargain to take the death penalty off the table in return for full cooperation. Bargaining takes time.

For much less serious crimes, expressions of contrition and cooperation with investigators can make a difference at sentencing time in the federal criminal system. For multiple murders and maimings in a bombing attack and a murderous ambush of a police officer, who knows.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
As of Monday morning, Ap. 22, apparently he has a ventilator down his gullet and is heavily sedated, so this whole discussion is moot. It may be a long time and it may be never before he communicates with anyone, even taping with his finger or whatever digit he might have that taps.

I really hope he is debriefed before he goes to his 72 virgins, but that may not happen.
writing. Heard it is possible he might never talk again. Self inflicted gunshot. Watching thermal video I think they showed when he shoots himself. Though wondering how he was able to get up and out of the bost like he did.

jake102

He was responding/writing to questions yesterday. Don't need a voice, just need a pen and paper