• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

jack the frog

But in the original source of the phrase, Fonzie DID make the jump. I feel old when I ask someone who uses that phrase if they know the origin of it. Over 50 years old and most know it. Less than that and most do not know it. Inherently, jumping the shark means you have gone past a point of ever being able to recover any dignity and whatever is referenced is forever ruined. That was my only point about jumping the shark more than once. I guess I feel like if you jump the shark a second time, you must not have really jumped the shark the first time. It's just semantics and I don't really care one way or another. I am just wasting time contemplating about something that does not matter. Carry on.

If you've already jumped the shark maybe you can still cross the Rubicon...

Rex Kramer

We saw Indiana Jones on Saturday and Mission Impossible last night. Both were good. I really liked Mission Impossible. Incredible action sequences. Indiana Jones was probably about 25 minutes too long but had a decent plot with good action.
The wife and I saw MI on Sunday. She loved it. I was less enthused. I found it entertaining but thought it had problems, namely a plot that felt fresh when Eagle Eye did it in 2008. Some action sequences were great but editing was jarring. Not sure if it was intentional to make cuts noticeable, but some were straight bad. All in all, I liked it enough to want to see part 2, but may skip the theater. All the negatives aside, I will sit through any movie where I get to stare at Hayley Atwell for 2+ hours.

Last edited:

jack the frog

Journey had a song called Rubicon, which I always thought was a word nerd’s ripoff of the Kansas song The Point of Know Return.

On that vein we had a kid submit and win a Midland High poetry contest plagiarizing Dust in the Wind word for word back in '79 or so. He advanced to some state competition with his brilliant work until someone narced him out and he had to take the short bus home.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Oppenheimer was fantastic. Saw it Friday night with my teenage son who also loved it. My only quibble was the casting of Matt Damon. He’s just way too famous to throw into a historical drama without changing his appearance. Everybody else melted into their character, but he stayed Matt Damon.
Did you notice the flag with 50 stars in his speech scene in the auditorium? Someone not old enough ”what? We had fewer states?”

4 Oaks Frog

On that vein we had a kid submit and win a Midland High poetry contest plagiarizing Dust in the Wind word for word back in '79 or so. He advanced to some state competition with his brilliant work until someone narced him out and he had to take the short bus home.
My nephew got an A on a poetry assignment at Southwest High School in the late 70s by plagiarizing Frank Zappa’s Dinah Moe Hum
I don’t know how he pulled that off…

4 Oaks Frog

Did you notice the flag with 50 stars in his speech scene in the auditorium? Someone not old enough ”what? We had fewer states?”
Yes! After so much work making all else so realistic and period perfect, why would something as simple as period correct flag be missed? Other than that, all else was perfect.
5⭐️.
How did you feel about the soundtrack playing almost continuously during the film? It certainly added to the drama. But, several times it tended to step on the dialog and make it difficult to hear. It could have been where I was sitting…to the side near the rear of the IMAX in the Parks Mall in Arlington.
BTW…It was sold out front to back side to side. That was on Sunday afternoon at 2:30. It been a long time since I was in a sold out movie theater.

UltimateFrog

I don't think I've ever seen a film like Oppenheimer. It was absolutely remarkable. Not saying it's the best movie I've ever seen (close), but I felt glued to the seat for three hours despite being a movie that has zero real action.

Absolute masterpiece

Mission Impossible was super solid, exactly what you expect.

tcudoc

I have heard that some theaters promoted a Barbie and Oppenheimer double feature. People dress up in Barbie and Ken attire to go see Barbie then bring a suit to change into to go see Oppenheimer. My daughter said they call it Barbenheimer, or something like that. Probably pretty smart marketing to try to play each off of each movie to draw in a customer they may not otherwise get.

Chongo94