• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

jack the frog

Anyone recall Lucy, daughter of the Devil? Not typically into the adult swim animation but several laugh out loud moments. HBO Max. From the Bobs Better Burger Guy they say.

Eight

Based on the advice of some friends, we started watching Suits on Netflix over the weekend. Like it. Just crazy enough to keep my attention. Was shocked to see Meghan, Duchess of Sussex as one of the actresses. Not bad.

wife and daughter loved that show, will warn you it jumps the shark early and often

tcudoc

true if you don't make the jump......
But in the original source of the phrase, Fonzie DID make the jump. I feel old when I ask someone who uses that phrase if they know the origin of it. Over 50 years old and most know it. Less than that and most do not know it. Inherently, jumping the shark means you have gone past a point of ever being able to recover any dignity and whatever is referenced is forever ruined. That was my only point about jumping the shark more than once. I guess I feel like if you jump the shark a second time, you must not have really jumped the shark the first time. It's just semantics and I don't really care one way or another. I am just wasting time contemplating about something that does not matter. Carry on.

FrogCop19

But in the original source of the phrase, Fonzie DID make the jump. I feel old when I ask someone who uses that phrase if they know the origin of it. Over 50 years old and most know it. Less than that and most do not know it. Inherently, jumping the shark means you have gone past a point of ever being able to recover any dignity and whatever is referenced is forever ruined. That was my only point about jumping the shark more than once. I guess I feel like if you jump the shark a second time, you must not have really jumped the shark the first time. It's just semantics and I don't really care one way or another. I am just wasting time contemplating about something that does not matter. Carry on.
If it matters to you, it matters to us.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
I saw a screening of Oppenheimer and believe it is Nolan's best work. Flying to Dallas this wknd to see it on 70mm at the AMC in Northpark with the pops (highly recommend you see this one on 70mm if you can).

I am really looking forward to seeing this. In anticipation, I have been watching a few YouTube videos about his life. Oppenheimer was one really strange dude. Was he a patriot or a communist - or both? It looks like the closest IMAX showing to Ft. Worth is the Parks Mall in Arlington starting this Thursday. https://www.imax.com/movies/oppenheimer

Eight

no doubt i bastardized the phrase, but in regards to your thought that you can only jump the shark once that might be so and we are talking plotlines in televsion series which in large part are very plausible in real life

my wife was a fan of suits and i saw a good amount of the series. while the setup itself stretches probability there were more than a few moments that were comically over the top, hence why i borrowed the jumping the shark phrase

not as bad as say grey's anatomy which makes the story line of most novellas look probable, but there were a couple of moments of mike on skis hitting the ramp

tcudoc

I saw a screening of Oppenheimer and believe it is Nolan's best work. Flying to Dallas this wknd to see it on 70mm at the AMC in Northpark with the pops (highly recommend you see this one on 70mm if you can).
7sxxn7.jpg

stbrab

Matt Damon apparently didn’t want to go the extra mile and eat more pizza to look like the real General Leslie Groves…
He looked like he had a few pizzas for his role in AIR…not fat necessarily but not not what you’d expect from Jason Bourne. Of course Russell Crowe was the Gladiator…and look at him now.

Chongo94

1st episode of the new Justified was good…not a fan of the Detroit location but whatever. If the rest of the season is as strong as the first episode, that show is back for sure.

The music in the first episode was great.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
IMAX is not necessarily different from a film stock standpoint, but it is very different in how the image is projected out on the curved screens. Lots of optical wizardry involved with that.

Many, many moons ago, the inventor of IMAX gave a lecture to some of us film students describing the genesis and evolution of the tech, and how they were implementing it. He was in town screening a film taken over several Shuttle missions, and had brought some of the cameras along with him that were flown. Huge, bulky things. "They're a lot easier to move around in zero gee..."