• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

FBallFan123

Cry Macho seemed to move about as fast as Eastwood does these days, but it had some sweet moments and you have to appreciate him still doing it at the age of 91. He will be sorely missed when he’s gone, so just enjoy watching him still doing it these days.

The Power of the Dog had some solid performances, but I’m not seeing what all the awards buzz is about … but it does have some social commentary, and given the time and setting of the movie, especially for this genre, gives it some awards bait.

As an aside, with this movie and Slow West, Kodi Smit-McPhee seems to have found a bit of a nitsch as the tall, gangly, out-of-place looking kid in slow-paced westerns.

FBallFan123

I didn't, but then again there are so many Oscar winners I haven't seen in recent years. It seems that recently blockbusters aren't in the runnings any longer. Even movies like Castaway or Silence of the Lambs aren't even given a shot. As mentioned above, I'm a sucker for action and sci-fi stuff, so a lot of these art-house pictures are lost on me. The more miserable and depressing the movie is, the more the critics seem to like it.

I know Rotten Tomatoes isn't the end-all-be-all of movie critiques, but when I see a film that has a 98% critic rating and a 60% fan rating, I usually don't bother. Power of the Dog is a bit higher in the audience rating, but still....

I will say I was proven wrong when I watched The Unforgivable with Sandra Bullock, a movie that I normally would not have bothered with, but the wife wanted to watch it.

Rotten Tomaotes is really one of the worst things to happen to the movie industry the last two decades.

There aren’t that many good or noteworthy film critics around these days … hardly enough to warrant aggregating them all.

When you see every Marvel movie getting a 90% tomato rating, and then look through the reviews and see 100+ reviews, at a time when newspapers and magazines are dying, and most of the reviews are from websites you’ve never heard of, you can start to see how easily the rating system is manipulated.

Meanwhile, there are some actually good movies with much lower ratings, and only a fraction of the qualified reviews.

Seems better to just ignore the tomatoes and settle on a critic or two you generally trust, and stick to reading them.

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

Rotten Tomaotes is really one of the worst things to happen to the movie industry the last two decades.

There aren’t that many good or noteworthy film critics around these days … hardly enough to warrant aggregating them all.

When you see every Marvel movie getting a 90% tomato rating, and then look through the reviews and see 100+ reviews, at a time when newspapers and magazines are dying, and most of the reviews are from websites you’ve never heard of, you can start to see how easily the rating system is manipulated.

Meanwhile, there are some actually good movies with much lower ratings, and only a fraction of the qualified reviews.

Seems better to just ignore the tomatoes and settle on a critic or two you generally trust, and stick to reading them.

Metacritic is probably the best place if you truly care what the "experts" think. Power of the Dog has 58 reviews on Metacritic, mostly all from names you recognize. 316 on RT... although RT does let you drill down to "top critics"

Bob Sugar

what were your thoughts on the way they wrapped up bosch

really liked the entire series except for the last two episodes and felt the ending was just a work it, we are done dealing with all this covid bull [ #2020 ] thing which was disappointing considering the source material
We haven't finished Bosch yet.

FBallFan123

Metacritic is probably the best place if you truly care what the "experts" think. Power of the Dog has 58 reviews on Metacritic, mostly all from names you recognize. 316 on RT... although RT does let you drill down to "top critics"

My criticism of Rotten Tomatoes is specifically about its ratings, and the prominence they’re given these days.

The rating system is deeply flawed … but it’s rating gets cited like a statistic on baseball.

You look up a movie on certain cable systems, for example, and the tomato meter is displayed like it’s a pitcher’s ERA.

Metacritics is better rating … but it’s not the rating most people use.

Im not against the aggregating of reviews, I still find it somewhat useful … and do go to RT or MC sometimes after a movie … to see what’s being said, and maybe make a note of which reviews/reviewers I tend to more agree with more.

Last edited:

Bob Sugar

I enjoyed the Eyes of Tammy Faye. I’d put money on it Jessica Chastain wins the Oscar this year.
Jessica Chastain...

log GIF

Virginia Frog

I enjoyed the Eyes of Tammy Faye. I’d put money on it Jessica Chastain wins the Oscar this year.
It was always a gas to watch PTL and Jim & Tammy and all of their chatter/antics. I was always a bit of a late-nighter so back in the late '70s/early '80 in the early age of cable TV( in urban areas) there were a lot of repeats of movies/shows each month, so boredom ensued. After Johnny Carson there we no other fresh late night shows so many nights, by default, it was PTL. PTL was usually so enjoyable to watch. Good humor and Jim's sidekick Henry Harrison (the Christian "Ed McMahon") made fun.

This PTL came out of the Assemblies of God Church which I believe is the largest Pentecostal (holy roller-esque) denomination in America. I had a very close relative the was a devout member of the Assemblies and I'd attended a lot of church events there via invitations to church social events for my parents - who went because it was near-by and they didn't want to offend - and found the people there quite nice, welcoming, fun, and intelligent but maybe a little "different.". (This church had absolutely the best summer picnic on 4th of July: the food, ponies, balloons, great games for all ages with fab prizes, plus ice cream galore. It was big time!) So the Assemblies culture/attitudes/message exhibited on PTL didn't turn me off.

Forget the religion part, I had enough of that with my own basic Protestant church experience. The PTL show had very good and peppy music (The Spurlows led by Thurlo Spurr, pianist Dino Kartsonakis who was a real talent, and a host of guest artists) and was quite topical.

Tammy was a real card with bad jokes, streaming mascara because of her crying fits over religious matters, and off-key solos (she sang "we're blessed, we're blessed, we're blessed" over and over. Really BAD.) It was a trip for me and I'm sure I wasn't the only one in America who had many laugh attacks courtesy of Jim and Tammy.

They didn't get any money from me or save my soul!

Last edited: