• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Alas. A literal giant of cinema has passed... https://variety.com/2022/film/news/douglas-trumbull-dead-visual-effects-1235174814/

The article gives a good breakdown of his work, and the films for which he is remembered, but his real mark was left on so many whom he influenced with his bold lights, colors and staging of the camera.

A very, very good beer goes into the toasting tankard this evening. Vaya con Dios, en buena vista!

My favorite Sean Penn movie is probably Mystic River.
Well done powerful movie with a thick story and characters, but I have mixed feelings because it was so dang dark. Timothy Robbins character sadly being emotionally messed up from the beginning, to then be deceived and murdered in the end by his childhood friend—jeepers.

Sweet and Lowdown is a good movie. Penn plays an interesting character, Emmet Ray, a depression era jazz guitarist, second best to Django Rhinehardt. I think the critics liked the movie a lot, but it didn’t do great in the box office, maybe because Penn as a jazz guitarist didn’t sound intriguing enough. A Woody Allen movie, and I generally don’t care for his stories, but I thought this one was a gem.

Last edited:

FrogCop19

Anybody seen The Power of the Dog? Likely to win Best Picture. I thought it was ultra painful…. Another dud winning best picture.
I didn't, but then again there are so many Oscar winners I haven't seen in recent years. It seems that recently blockbusters aren't in the runnings any longer. Even movies like Castaway or Silence of the Lambs aren't even given a shot. As mentioned above, I'm a sucker for action and sci-fi stuff, so a lot of these art-house pictures are lost on me. The more miserable and depressing the movie is, the more the critics seem to like it.

I know Rotten Tomatoes isn't the end-all-be-all of movie critiques, but when I see a film that has a 98% critic rating and a 60% fan rating, I usually don't bother. Power of the Dog is a bit higher in the audience rating, but still....

I will say I was proven wrong when I watched The Unforgivable with Sandra Bullock, a movie that I normally would not have bothered with, but the wife wanted to watch it.

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

I didn't, but then again there are so many Oscar winners I haven't seen in recent years. It seems that recently blockbusters aren't in the runnings any longer. Even movies like Castaway or Silence of the Lambs aren't even given a shot. As mentioned above, I'm a sucker for action and sci-fi stuff, so a lot of these art-house pictures are lost on me. The more miserable and depressing the movie is, the more the critics seem to like it.

I know Rotten Tomatoes isn't the end-all-be-all of movie critiques, but when I see a film that has a 98% critic rating and a 60% fan rating, I usually don't bother. Power of the Dog is a bit higher in the audience rating, but still....

I will say I was proven wrong when I watched The Unforgivable with Sandra Bullock, a movie that I normally would not have bothered with, but the wife wanted to watch it.

I like to try and see most all of the Oscar nominations for best picture once they release (although now it's back to 10 nominees), even if I don't have much of an interest. Definitely a lot of painful movies.

BrewingFrog

I installed my long-awaited Starlink system the other day. I live in the Outer Darkness, and internet service out here is slow and spotty. Thus, the appeal of the Starlink option was most intriguing. And, it has lived up to billing and more!

Why am I gushing about speedy internet service? Well, because we can now watch movies in 4K and everything, and Mrs. Brewingfrog laid out her demands for Films She Wants To Watch. Her first item was The Last Duel.

Now, I used to have a great deal of respect for Ridley Scott. I really did. And then, for some unknown reason, he dropped trou and took a big steaming dump on the film and franchise which literally made him with the execrable Prometheus. Ridley, from there on out, was off The Brewingfrog's Christmas Card List. Permanently.

The Last Duel is a Middle-Ages drama about a maybe-rape, Medieval Law, and, well, some other nonsense involving two dim-witted guys beating each other to death. Considering it "stars" (insert dumb voice here) Matt Damon, and The Famous Actor With The Lopsided Face, I couldn't have bothered to care one way or another. The other thing was that the film was put together during the Short Period In Which Hollywood Was Allegedly Concerned About Rape, which meant that the film would come in fairly dripping with The Message. I hatey hate hate "message" films. Especially "message" films that try to impress our present-day morality on the distant (in this case, 700-odd years) past. Like some old Hollywood guy said, "If you want to send a message, hire Western Union." I'm damned sure not paying for someone to beat me over the head with some imbecile message for two hours...

Anyway, she wants to watch this damned movie. I'm probably not going to last through the opening credits. Luckily, I just took delivery of Peter Kemp's Ten Years at War, so I can hide in my office until (dumb voice) Matt Damon gets his empty head cut off...

What Up Toad

I installed my long-awaited Starlink system the other day. I live in the Outer Darkness, and internet service out here is slow and spotty. Thus, the appeal of the Starlink option was most intriguing. And, it has lived up to billing and more!

Why am I gushing about speedy internet service? Well, because we can now watch movies in 4K and everything, and Mrs. Brewingfrog laid out her demands for Films She Wants To Watch. Her first item was The Last Duel.

Now, I used to have a great deal of respect for Ridley Scott. I really did. And then, for some unknown reason, he dropped trou and took a big steaming dump on the film and franchise which literally made him with the execrable Prometheus. Ridley, from there on out, was off The Brewingfrog's Christmas Card List. Permanently.

The Last Duel is a Middle-Ages drama about a maybe-rape, Medieval Law, and, well, some other nonsense involving two dim-witted guys beating each other to death. Considering it "stars" (insert dumb voice here) Matt Damon, and The Famous Actor With The Lopsided Face, I couldn't have bothered to care one way or another. The other thing was that the film was put together during the Short Period In Which Hollywood Was Allegedly Concerned About Rape, which meant that the film would come in fairly dripping with The Message. I hatey hate hate "message" films. Especially "message" films that try to impress our present-day morality on the distant (in this case, 700-odd years) past. Like some old Hollywood guy said, "If you want to send a message, hire Western Union." I'm damned sure not paying for someone to beat me over the head with some imbecile message for two hours...

Anyway, she wants to watch this damned movie. I'm probably not going to last through the opening credits. Luckily, I just took delivery of Peter Kemp's Ten Years at War, so I can hide in my office until (dumb voice) Matt Damon gets his empty head cut off...

If it makes you feel better, this is a true story about the last known duel to the death, not just a made up period piece with modern day sensibilities.

My opinion was that the source material wasn't really good enough for it to be made into a movie, and it's pretty long, but it's a very well shot and acted movie, and it's a unique way to tell the story.

BrewingFrog

If it makes you feel better, this is a true story about the last known duel to the death, not just a made up period piece with modern day sensibilities.

My opinion was that the source material wasn't really good enough for it to be made into a movie, and it's pretty long, but it's a very well shot and acted movie, and it's a unique way to tell the story.
Records from that period are a little spotty, as the Gutenbergs hadn't quite gotten their gizmo together yet and wouldn't for another century or so. Everything was written by hand, and there was some illumination. As it is, the most intriguing person from that era to me is William Marshal, but I don't think they'll ever make a movie about an honorable knight in such a tumultuous time...

In all honesty, I'll read the book. Probably enjoy it a lot more.

Bob Sugar

I will probably end up watching it but I just don’t see Affleck, Damon, or Driver pulling off the medieval roles. Would be happily surprised if they did.

Bob Sugar

Back to Reacher, I am through most of the first season. It’s not as good as Bosch or Jack Ryan as far as Amazon’s exclusive shows, but I am partial to the Reacher books so I like it. That said, Stone Cold Steve Austin, with hair, is still the guy I picture as Reacher when I listen to the audiobooks and think he would have been as good or better than the lead they cast.

Eight

Back to Reacher, I am through most of the first season. It’s not as good as Bosch or Jack Ryan as far as Amazon’s exclusive shows, but I am partial to the Reacher books so I like it. That said, Stone Cold Steve Austin, with hair, is still the guy I picture as Reacher when I listen to the audiobooks and think he would have been as good or better than the lead they cast.

what were your thoughts on the way they wrapped up bosch

really liked the entire series except for the last two episodes and felt the ending was just a work it, we are done dealing with all this covid bull [ Finebaum ] thing which was disappointing considering the source material

BrewingFrog

what were your thoughts on the way they wrapped up bosch

really liked the entire series except for the last two episodes and felt the ending was just a work it, we are done dealing with all this covid bull [ #2020 ] thing which was disappointing considering the source material
Yup. The last two were mailed in. Maddy and the Lawyer would make a great spin-off series. But, alas...

Eight

Yup. The last two were mailed in. Maddy and the Lawyer would make a great spin-off series. But, alas...

CaninePettyChicken-size_restricted.gif