• The KillerFrogs

OT: Favorite Professor at TCU

Funny story about Proctor's essay exams. I took him in the fall of 99 and had to go to the book store for a Blue Book. The lady who helped me find them commented after she handed me one, "You must have Dr. Proctor." Apparently so few professors still required Blue Books for essay exams that she knew it was him based on how early it was in the semester.
I am not sure if it has been said here yet but Ben Proctor was on the University of Texas’ SWC champion 1950 football team. I think he was their leading receiver in 1949. Proctor’s dad played baseball at TCU in the early 1900’s so even after he got his Phd. From Harvard, the pull/ love for Fort Worth probably made coming to teach at TCU a natural choice.

An-Cap Frog

Did anyone have Mauricio Rodriguez? I loved that guy. He asked one day in class who thought would win between UConn and UMass in basketball. Everyone knew that he got his PhD from UConn so everyone said UConn except for me. Marcus Canby man...he agreed with me...and UConn went on to beat UMass...lol

FrogPreacher

Dr. Ken Lawrence..Lorenzo. I was a complete bumpkin until his Religion in the Fine Arts turned me into a museum lover for life.
When I was going to Brite we were able to take 12 hours of non-Brite credit classes. I took that same class you did and really enjoyed it and love going to museums as well.

FrogPreacher

Dr. Ken Lawrence
Dr. William Baird. One of the leading New Testament and Pauline scholars. Wrote a couple of sections of the Interpreters Bible.
Dr. John Stewart. Originally from Georgia. Still spoke with a bit of Georgia drawl. Old Testament expert. Spoke Latin, Hebrew, Greek. Could read cuneiform. His classes were always so very interesting.

crankuptheenolagay

Funny story about Proctor's essay exams. I took him in the fall of 99 and had to go to the book store for a Blue Book. The lady who helped me find them commented after she handed me one, "You must have Dr. Proctor." Apparently so few professors still required Blue Books for essay exams that she knew it was him based on how early it was in the semester.
Dr Proctor not only played football at Texas he played for the Los Angeles Rams before getting his PHD from Harvard. I worked harder for the 3 C’s I got from him than any A I got in other classes. I took him up on his challenge to give an A to any student who could beat him in handball, even though he wiped the court with me I think he liked the fact I had the stones to take his challenge. Every semester he and his wife Phoebe would host a party for his students and there would always be a game of spoons that never failed to draw blood. I got a recommendation from him for my first job which I keep to this day. We always had to show up in his classroom prepared with a new vocabulary word or a current event from the newspaper. I would listen to him spellbound as his imposing figure peered over his half cheeters telling tales about Texas Ranger Bigfoot Wallace or some other historical figure. He was truly one of a kind!

Last edited:

Purp

Dr Proctor not only played football at Texas he played for the Los Angeles Rams before getting his PHD from Harvard. I worked harder for the 3 C’s I got from him than any A I got in other classes. I took him up on his challenge to give an A to any student who could beat him in handball, even though he wiped the court with me I think he liked the fact I had the stones to take his challenge. Every semester he and his wife Phoebe would host a party for his students and there would always be a game of spoons that never failed to draw blood. I got a recommendation from him for my first job which I keep to this day. We always had to show up in his classroom prepared with a new vocabulary word or a current event from the newspaper. I would listen to him spellbound as his imposing figure peered over his half cheeters telling tales about Texas Ranger Bigfoot Wallace or some other historical figure. He was truly one of a kind!
A special man, indeed. I remember telling a bunch of Proctor stories in here several years ago so I won't rehash them, but he was a really great story teller with history. Taking notes in his class was like being a stenographer in a court room. He never stopped talking and almost everything he said was important.

Worst was Patty Knowles. I think she was a part timer who didn’t last long. She cheated me out of an A in her class because she could not do the math. She got mad when I showed her the correct calculation and doubled down to make sure I didn’t get the A after that.
Maybe that's why she disappeared?

I believe he was All-SWC one of those years and got some All-American buzz also.

Limp Lizard

I took him up on his challenge to give an A to any student who could beat him in handball, even though he wiped the court with me I think he liked the fact I had the stones to take his challenge.
Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the handball match between Proctor and Ferre was the most brutal and competitive handball match I have ever seen. Both were really good players, especially for their ages.

Limp Lizard

Dr. Ken Lawrence
Dr. William Baird. One of the leading New Testament and Pauline scholars. Wrote a couple of sections of the Interpreters Bible.
Dr. John Stewart. Originally from Georgia. Still spoke with a bit of Georgia drawl. Old Testament expert. Spoke Latin, Hebrew, Greek. Could read cuneiform. His classes were always so very interesting.
I took a semester in Brite and decided the ministry wasn't for me, switching to Chemistry.

Dr. Baird was a hell of a scholar and taught a Sunday school class at UCC for years. My wife was impressed: she had never heard anything like him.

Dr. Stewart certainly had a Georgia accent. He substituted one day for Dr. Suggs' Greek class. Dr. Suggs was a stickler for correct Greek pronunciation, and Stewart spoke Greek with his Georgia accent, making it really hard for we students to keep up and understand the lecture. After a rather long sentence which I think started in Greek and ended up in Georgia English, he saw our blank faces and said "Don't look at me like that, I'm talking English now!"

Chico Dusty

Pretty sure my bowling teacher was a lady. Definitely my favorite class at Tcu. Only class you could smoke during though we had to wait until after class in our free bowling to drink; apparently a class the year before us ruined that.

Are you thinking of the great Mickey Archer? I had her… she was a legend at the Don Carter lanes. Good times.

frogs9497

On a whim, I googled "Gregg Franzwa" and got this:

Gregg Franzwa Obituary​

Dr. Gregg Edward Franzwa, professor of philosophy at TCU for 35 years, passed away peacefully on Friday, Oct. 28, 2016. He passed surrounded by broken-hearted women begging him not to leave, just as he would have wanted.

Published by Star-Telegram on Nov. 2, 2016.