• The KillerFrogs

OT: Favorite Professor at TCU

PurpleBloodSpitter

I am not sure if it has been said here yet but Ben Proctor was on the University of Texas’ SWC champion 1950 football team. I think he was their leading receiver in 1949. Proctor’s dad played baseball at TCU in the early 1900’s so even after he got his Phd. From Harvard, the pull/ love for Fort Worth probably made coming to teach at TCU a natural choice.
Still remember my first day in Ben Proctor’s class, and his A. Nony Moose joke. Really wish I would have had him later than my first semester as I don’t think I appreciated him as much as I would have later.

PurpleBloodSpitter

Many on my list are retired or dead.

Dr. Flowers...he taught both my daughter and myself. Scared her the first day of class as a Freshman when he asked her if I was her dad (No he didn't say "Limp Lizard").

Dr. Reinecke...very dedicated. When I was in grad school (chemistry) he would walk the halls with his nose buried in a journal. It was up to others to prevent a collision.

Dr. Gustav Ferre. I had him for two philosophy classes. Very entertaining and at times intimidating person. Pushed everyone to think rationally. Was a Vice-President of University of North Texas for a while (1970's).

Dr. Keith Odom. A professor in English. I had him for the required Sophomore English course (yes, back then you had to take two years of English despite your HS coursework). World Lit. ...made it interesting and gave great exams which tested what you knew instead of what obscure facts you did not know. Later had him by taking a Senior level course as an elective: Russian and Scandinavian Novels...whew, 11 novels in a semester.

An Iranian grad student in an evening class for second semester calculus. This was when the Shah was still dictator of Iran and Iran was buddies with the US. He helped me to understand calculus and the effort math takes. I breezed through second-year calculus and the math parts of chemistry thanks to him.
Think I was friends with him. What was his name? His family was gassed by the Ayatollah.

Tom Prouse in the PE dept. If he hadn't given me all the A's for the courses I took from him (to make sure my GPA was high enough to be eligible), I probably would never have graduated. :D

Boomhauer

Morry Wong was greatness. I wrote two papers in his class- 1) Affirmative Action is Discrimination… C and 2) Persiasive paper on the legalization of marijuana… A.

Wong was great. I wrote a paper on marijuana as well. My 2nd paper was on legalizing prostitution. Can’t remember the grades on the papers themselves but think I got a B in his class. He was a good dude and I remember him always talking about grabbing drinks.

sketchy

Dr. Ken Morgan
- he taught me how to actually study…..a practice I never learned how to properly do in middle and high school
- his advice stuck with me all throughout college, and I’ve repeated his advice to anyone who would listen over the last 40+ years

Dr. Bill Reese
- simply for saving my ass during Summer Term in 85…..had it not been for him, I’d have had to sit thru the entire Fall 85 semester to take 1 damn class to graduate
- funny how that worked, since he previously flunked me out of Criminology when he accused me of being part of a scandal that occurred during a final exam (which involved a handful of football players)…….luckily for me Chancellor Tucker removed the “F” from my transcript.
I had to retake the class, but thank God the F was removed

Purp

Still remember my first day in Ben Proctor’s class, and his A. Nony Moose joke. Really wish I would have had him later than my first semester as I don’t think I appreciated him as much as I would have later.
I had him first semester of college too. I loved the guy and appreciated his class a lot, but I'd have loved to be able to take another class from him later in college after I became a more mature student.

Rabidfrog

My favorite was probably Cecil Jarman. They brought him back out of retirement. It was an Intro to Religion sort of class. A large class, like 30, 40 kids. The Bookstore did not have the required book for one, maybe 2 or 3 weeks. That came up during a class and all of us were basically whining that they do not have the darn book, yet. Prof. Jarman just lets everyone vent. Then there's a pause. We are all waiting for hm to speak, expecting him to solve our problem. But, he just looks at us and says, "I'm sooo sorry." And he meant it. But, he also meant there was nothing he could do. He was a very kind man and a true Christian. He was very impressive. He mentioned once in passing that his hometown in North Carolina was having a "Cecil Jarman Day." I bet they did.

Frank Reuter was great. His son died during our semester. Yet, I do not recall him missing a class.

Ben Proctor was the best teacher by far. In a Texas history course, he always managed to leave the class on some exciting moment in Texas history and you just looked forward to the next class to find out what happens next.
DR. Jarman shocked our frosh religion class by opening with this comment: Jesus never came to found a church. All the Baptists and pentecostals about passed out.

Rabidfrog

I am not sure if it has been said here yet but Ben Proctor was on the University of Texas’ SWC champion 1950 football team. I think he was their leading receiver in 1949. Proctor’s dad played baseball at TCU in the early 1900’s so even after he got his Phd. From Harvard, the pull/ love for Fort Worth probably made coming to teach at TCU a natural choice.
yes, his family in Austin were members of the old Central Christian Church, hear the state capitol and were staunch Democrats. His brother was DA of Travis Co.

Purp

And I see that JT's last activity on here was yesterday. So he is still checking in.
Stranger Stalking GIF

HornFrogger

Garry Bruton - Management, Neeley

Angel (?) taught Critical Inquiry into Crime and Punishment. It was one of those shot in the dark/fill out the schedule night classes that turned into a goldmine. The class consisted of a reading assignment each week that led into 2.5 hours of guided debate and discussion. After class we would go to Bluebonnets and drink beers while discussing the evening’s topic or sailing. That course did more to develop my young mind towards critical analysis, argument, and problem solving (both big picture and small) than any single course at TCU.

Spike

I didn't go to TCU so I am going to say Professor Barcellona. I understand his classes were quite difficult but away from class he was the nicest man. His son is a regular poster and yet another KF.C friendship.