• The KillerFrogs

OT: Byron Nelson

flyfishingfrog

For such an iconic name you would think they could have thought this through more.

Build a links style course in the middle of a forest? At least save the trees and use them to build a course
well and imagine being on the SMU golf team - that is their new course, just right down the street,I mean highway about 15 miles. But make sure you lock your beamer...

Mean Purple

might want to talk to the ghost of the The Hawk about the first part of that statement...but beyond him you are correct. Zach tried but missed by 1 year.
I gladly stand corrected. And so should Golf Channel. However, I think they may have meant in the "modern era".
That the greatest golfer ever did what the modern stars could not, is great. And yes, I called him the greatest.

There was not really a forest on ground area where the course is. It was previously some sort of dump. One would guess there is a base layer under the built up dirt, sand and turf in order to keep smell out. So it will be easier on guys who like to hit it long cause they can cut/draw over some corners of dog legs. Unlike Colonial, which demands accuracy and driving the fairway. Colonial is one of two courses where there are not back-to-back winners. The other being TPC Sawgrass.

It's all making sense. The Mayor has mob ties. The mob runs the sanitation and landfill racket. What a better way to ensure the final resting spot of Jimmy Hoffa would never be found?

ShreveFrog

No trees on the course. No water in play (that I can tell.) So unless the wind is howling that place looks pretty much defenseless except for bunkers.

Oh, no statue of Byron either, I guess.

Embarrassing. So ugly. Good job, Dallas.

Sebastian S

Schedule is hard as well, as a player you try to look for a break in between the players and the us open:
The Players
Byron Nelson
Colonial
Memorial - Jacks tournament, everyone wants to play that
St Judes - Players like playing this one because of the charity
US Open

TCURiggs

Schedule is hard as well, as a player you try to look for a break in between the players and the us open:
The Players
Byron Nelson
Colonial
Memorial - Jacks tournament, everyone wants to play that
St Judes - Players like playing this one because of the charity
US Open

Yeah, that certainly doesn't help the DFW swing. Sounds like the Colonial field will be better than the Nelson's, though. Think they're moving the Players back earlier in the year next year, so hopefully that will help.

flyfishingfrog

Yeah, that certainly doesn't help the DFW swing. Sounds like the Colonial field will be better than the Nelson's, though. Think they're moving the Players back earlier in the year next year, so hopefully that will help.
well it might but it might not - they are moving the PGA Championship in its place - so Colonial will now truly be between two majors.

The good part is its probably going to force the European PGA to move their championship - which is always directly opposite Colonial and is why almost no known European players play Colonial anymore (Sergio goes where his wife tells him)

You will always have people that play the week before a major - because they prefer to come in hot like Phil and guys that want that week off to prepare at the course or focus on specific practice areas aka Tiger.

So if we could 1) get a few more Europeans to come because that want to stay in the US between the PGA and the US Open, 2) get a few guys that want to rest the week after the PGA but don't want to be playing the week before the US Open and for sure don't want a month off, 3) keep giving out the Hogan award to guys that become names on tour so they feel compelled to show up (Ricky as an example) and 4) frankly hopefully get a few more up and comers to win like Speith did (Jon Rahm, Thomas would be good names) to keep them coming back every year as they become the main guys on the tour over the next 10 years - that would be about all any tournament can hope for that is not a major in this day and age of big money.

We will have ups and downs in the field every year but thanks to how much most of the players like the course, the history and the fact that the club continues to do everything they can to make the players and caddies experience special while they are in town - I feel like Colonial will have an above average field the majority of the time. Key is to keep the PGA Tour off our back like they have been for 10 years and keep our purse high enough along with the non-tangible stuff while they are here to make guys want to come.

Colonial has good and bad years