• The KillerFrogs

OT: Byron Nelson

Equipment is only part of it. Softening and narrowing the fairways and growing the rough would solve most of the "problems" so guys aren't hitting it 320 every time and there'd be a steep price to pay for hitting it off-line.
Putting the spin back in the ball would change it more than anything. None of those guys could hit a fairway swinging that hard at an old Titleist 384 Tour ball.

Unwittingly, John Daly changed the game when he won the British Open using a Maxfli DDH III ball. At the time, it was the longest ball available, but was as hard as the old Top-Flites. It proved that long hitters could use low spin balls and win at the highest level. Five years later, the Pro V1 hit the market, with a combination of low driver spin, moderate iron spin, and soft feel, and you know the rest of the story.

TCURiggs

Broadcasters have actually been talking up how good of a showing the crowd made today despite the four hour rain delay. Also, the feedback on the course from the players has been "overwhelmingly positive" according to Spieth.

It's definitely no Colonial, but I don't think they're going to be too displeased with the first year.

Broadcasters have actually been talking up how good of a showing the crowd made today despite the four hour rain delay. Also, the feedback on the course from the players has been "overwhelmingly positive" according to Spieth.

It's definitely no Colonial, but I don't think they're going to be too displeased with the first year.

They have to talk it up. It's like the artwork at Jerryworld. But when they show the aerial shots you see the real story. There were more people at the LPGA tournament than are there today.

Mean Purple

Remember when the title sponsor demanded that a long running tourney be moved from a very well attended course to a course that got itself torn a new one by a college age kid while nobody attended?

Sad.

Mean Purple

I had Son of Pharm at the Byron when one of my former companies was a sponsor. Can’t recall how old he was but we had the chat about being quiet and stuff but forgot the chat about golf balls in the gallery.

Singh sent one just over our heads and down a hill off the tee and here goes Son charging down the hill yelling “snow cone!”. No way I could catch him so I’m hollering to stop him and a man spotting the ball luckily does so before he gets to the ball. This ain’t the Little League Park....but pretty cool...Singh was told what almost happened and gave him a ball.
That wasn't on the left side of a certain long down hill fairway next to the resort, was it?

Mean Purple

When the announcers start making goose jokes...

Move it back to Las Colinas or those dudes in the drink tent won't be the only ones needing cpr...

Pharm Frog

That wasn't on the left side of a certain long down hill fairway next to the resort, was it?

I really have no idea. It was definitely on the left side of the fairway and we were given a hint as to where to stand because of the distance and preferred location for the second shot but I really don't remember. I only remember it being on the left side because my father said that I needed to stand on the left side of the fairways because I'd never seen the view of a golf course from the left side with the way I hit it.

Mean Purple

Jordan is sponsored by AT&T. So yeah, he is gonna talk it up. All week long the showing has been weak.

Good news is, Colonial will look even better now.

Big Frog II

They probably got a lot of people to check the new course out this year. With the parking hassle and lack of any shade people will not go back next year. This was a monumental mistake just as I thought it would be.

f_399

For such an iconic name you would think they could have thought this through more.

Build a links style course in the middle of a forest? At least save the trees and use them to build a course

Mean Purple

For such an iconic name you would think they could have thought this through more.

Build a links style course in the middle of a forest? At least save the trees and use them to build a course
There was not really a forest on ground area where the course is. It was previously some sort of dump. One would guess there is a base layer under the built up dirt, sand and turf in order to keep smell out. So it will be easier on guys who like to hit it long cause they can cut/draw over some corners of dog legs. Unlike Colonial, which demands accuracy and driving the fairway. Colonial is one of two courses where there are not back-to-back winners. The other being TPC Sawgrass.