• The KillerFrogs

OT - best steakhouse in FW?

LeagueCityFrog

Good write up Brewing Frog, you agree with me about greater Houston being a legit food superpower right now?
League City Frog is correct: Killen's Steakhouse is magnificent. I have not dined at STQ yet, so I cannot deliver an opinion there. The BBQ joint is open for dinner and serves a mighty fine steak cooked on a custom-made wood-fired grill.

It heartens me a little to see Hoffbrau listed by some as a good spot. Last couple of times I dined there the meat was downright bad: stringy, overcooked, and thin. Hopefully they have righted the ship. I always loved that place...

A good steak joint is the product of good meat selection, and a GM that keeps their meat vendor honest. A bonehead chef can ruin a good piece of meat, but even the best chef cannot make a lousy piece of gristle a good steak. Ronnie Killen gets a good portion of his meats through Allen Bros. and this is reflected in the quality of his finished product. He is also purchasing some meats directly from some of the larger ranching operations that have begun their own slaughter and processing operations. He thus has consistently fabulous meats that make the finished products simply outstanding.

One of the funny things is that (if memory serves) 44 Farms contracts for all of the Saint Arnold Brewery's spent grains as prime cattle fodder. Killen's buys the meats produced by 44 Farms. A cold Saint Arnold pairs quite well with a pre-seasoned steak!

Pharm Frog

Lived in Abilene and Ozona. Hunt at a place on the Concho near Paint Rock. We always make one night a Lowake night. Hard to beat.

Used to hang out with Dr Sims in Ozona drinking Mountain Dew and eating exotic jerky from a place in Eden. One day I had to get out of there quick because tornadoes were heading right into town. I remember when Ozona HS brought the "panhandle girls basketball" program to town and I think they may have won the state championship. Kinda liked that town actually.

Paint It Purple

Used to hang out with Dr Sims in Ozona drinking Mountain Dew and eating exotic jerky from a place in Eden. One day I had to get out of there quick because tornadoes were heading right into town. I remember when Ozona HS brought the "panhandle girls basketball" program to town and I think they may have won the state championship. Kinda liked that town actually.
I know the Eden jerky place you speak of. Big green sign on the build claims venison is the meat of the future. All those old ranchers kinda give it a grunt. The only MD in Ozona back when what an old army doc that was real scruffy. I think he took more meds than he prescribed. Can’t remember his name, might have been Carlisle. My Ozona stories are far too numerous to recount. I would still live there if my wife would allow it. Great people and country.

Double V

Sadly, I do not. But I wouldn’t mind seeing the French news anchor, Melissa Theuriau, in that outfit.

miss-melissa-theuriau.jpg

nJcOPpegyGgAuzIO4_2wi_FWio1_ZuKqdquBpVMERrTqMzN7j1CgJJ1BXuXEKvvM0M98MH7Oj-fGk9_uFWOyLXNL3WLyRQ3o1q5bEagtIkz_0PJz

20f57fcedf8920a6bf9c077efbc2aa8d.jpg
Or no outfit

GoFrog Yourself

Ate at Lonesome Dove a month ago, superb NY Strip. They have an awesome looking tomahawk ribeye and you order your cuts by the ounce there.

Eddie V's is always good, haven't been to Del in a while but it was fantastic last time I visited.

If you want a good steak at a cheap price: Star Cafe in the Stockyards. $3 beers and most of their cuts are under $20. Order medium rare and they get it just right

Mid range I enjoy Saltgrass and Hoffbrau.

Need to try Silver Fox soon, I always forget about it until I drive down University. Also Grace, but haven't been in years

Ron Swanson

Wish there was a Vic and Anthony’s in town. Ate at the one in downtown Houston and it was incredible.
I’ve only been there once and thought it was one of the most mediocre steakhouse experiences I’ve had. I went to Steak 48 last night for a work dinner and it was maybe the best steakhouse experience I’ve ever had. I got the bone in ribeye and it was amazing

I’ve heard good things from people about Vic and Anthony’s though so it’s possible I just had a one off bad experience

I think Ruth’s Chris is just OK and I had a really good experience at capital grille.

I’ve still never been to Del Frisco‘s but everyone seems to have a high opinion of it.

Eight

never been a huge fan of wedge salads and creamed vegetables, and I can do a good steak at home buying quality meat.

grow tomatoes and basil at home and buy pretty good mozzarella at sprouts so it is tough to make the call spending the money you have to at some of these steak places.

now, as some have mentioned in the hamsp thread i will spend in on some of the restaurants where i can't come close to making it at home

Ron Swanson

A. I’m shocked that a thread this long in one day hasn’t devolved into some ridiculous argument about something off-topic.

B. Regarding how to cook a steak at home....

I try to get the coals as hot as possible without still having a big active flame. Leave the lid off unless you get real bad flare-ups and then cover it enough to get that under control. The goal is to get as much char on the outside as possible before the inside gets to medium.

What’s y’all’s opinion on meat temperature before putting your steak on the grill?

I always hear that you’re supposed to get it to room temp, but I like to put it on the coals not too long after I take it out of the fridge.... that way I can get more char on the outside before it gets overdone. I cook a lot of steaks and seem to get the best results this way.

Of course it depends on the thickness of the steak. If it’s real thick, you want to have it closer to room temp. If it’s a thin steak, hell I’ll throw it in the freezer for a couple minutes before I put it in the grill.

Salt/pepper only usually. Sometimes olive oil, occasionally a smidge of cayenne and garlic powder in the mix if I’m feeling frisky.

Double V

A. I’m shocked that a thread this long in one day hasn’t devolved into some ridiculous argument about something off-topic.

B. Regarding how to cook a steak at home....

I try to get the coals as hot as possible without still having a big active flame. Leave the lid off unless you get real bad flare-ups and then cover it enough to get that under control. The goal is to get as much char on the outside as possible before the inside gets to medium.

What’s y’all’s opinion on meat temperature before putting your steak on the grill?

I always hear that you’re supposed to get it to room temp, but I like to put it on the coals not too long after I take it out of the fridge.... that way I can get more char on the outside before it gets overdone. I cook a lot of steaks and seem to get the best results this way.

Of course it depends on the thickness of the steak. If it’s real thick, you want to have it closer to room temp. If it’s a thin steak, hell I’ll throw it in the freezer for a couple minutes before I put it in the grill.

Salt/pepper only usually. Sometimes olive oil, occasionally a smidge of cayenne and garlic powder in the mix if I’m feeling frisky.
Always let it get to room temp. Always. Also, take it out of the wrapper/butcher paper and season it the night before so the salt can work it's magic. Put it on a little rack in the fridge overnight. Yum!

Ron Swanson

Always let it get to room temp. Always. Also, take it out of the wrapper/butcher paper and season it the night before so the salt can work it's magic. Put it on a little rack in the fridge overnight. Yum!
You have to be careful seasoning the night before though. I have made a steak too salty by using my normal (liberal) amount of salt the day before I cooked it.

SnoSki

I’ve only been there once and thought it was one of the most mediocre steakhouse experiences I’ve had. I went to Steak 48 last night for a work dinner and it was maybe the best steakhouse experience I’ve ever had. I got the bone in ribeye and it was amazing

I’ve heard good things from people about Vic and Anthony’s though so it’s possible I just had a one off bad experience

I think Ruth’s Chris is just OK and I had a really good experience at capital grille.

I’ve still never been to Del Frisco‘s but everyone seems to have a high opinion of it.
V&A was about 15 years ago for me so it might’ve changed.

DF is fabulous. Haven’t been to the others but my general opinion is that it’s hard to find a bad prime steak.. as long as it is truly “prime” quality meat.

frogs9497

Curious where you guys buy your meat. I've had pretty good luck with Central Market. I'm not crazy about buying it from the "regular" grocery store chains.

SnoSki

Curious where you guys buy your meat. I've had pretty good luck with Central Market. I'm not crazy about buying it from the "regular" grocery store chains.
I’ve had great luck with sprouts.

Honestly, Aldi has a decent ribeyefor the price but I’m not gonna say it’s award winning by any stretch. The marbling is satisfactory IMO.