• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Chongo94

Wow….just cannot contain my excitement about the upcoming Dykes hire.
sarcastic sarcasm GIF
sarcastic sarcasm GIF

crash813

The middle ground between Sanders and Dykes is Tom Herman. TCU will regret not hiring him now. Bookmarket.
I really can't believe this doesn't get more traction. Maybe getting knocked down a peg or two has taught him some things. I think Herman has a much higher ceiling than Dykes, can recruit better, and hopefully has lost his douchiness.

I really can't believe this doesn't get more traction. Maybe getting knocked down a peg or two has taught him some things. I think Herman has a much higher ceiling than Dykes, can recruit better, and hopefully has lost his douchiness.
It would be disappointing to find out that they didn't at least interview him, look him in the eye, and see if he's the kind of guy we would want here.

FrogUltimate

Dude is like 40+ years old. He is who he is. Plenty of stories out there about him.... his time at UT was a disaster in regards to anything outside the football field, which was solid but not great.

It would be disappointing to find out that they didn't at least interview him, look him in the eye, and see if he's the kind of guy we would want here.
Can’t remember the source for sure because I’ve consumed so much information about the coaching search but I read an article that said he wanted to sit out this cycle and remain an analyst in the NFL for at least another year. I guess that makes sense given the number of jobs open and that his name has not seemed to pop up anywhere.

Flying T

Tier 1
Dude is like 40+ years old. He is who he is. Plenty of stories out there about him.... his time at UT was a disaster in regards to anything outside the football field, which was solid but not great.
If Dykes can supposedly learn from his mistakes vis-à-vis his abysmal W/L record then the same leniency should be extended to Herman in regards to his demeanor.

FrogUltimate

If Dykes can supposedly learn from his mistakes vis-à-vis his abysmal W/L record then the same leniency should be extended to Herman in regards to his demeanor.

You're talking football strategy. I'm talking personality, who you are. Entirely different.

If we are considering taking guys who may have changed their personalities/who they are, then we should hire Briles, full stop. Absolutely elite coach.

SackLunch

I am not saying we are, but if we are top 20, heck top 30 jobs, then why doesn't anyone else in the top 20/30 want Dykes?
I'm not sure if we are top 20/30 job...there really is no appeal to recruits when it comes to why they should come to TCU. Unless you want to be a nurse or go to the business school. GP was our best and only incentive for a kid to come to TCU. Now we are just another school that makes the kids actually go to class instead of online (which is killing us in recruiting), have weak game day atmosphere (killing us in recruiting) with the small exception of a big night game against a ranked opponent, aren't seen as "celebrities" by the students on campus like they do at UT/A&M etc. (killing us in recruiting), are majority rich white kids (killing us in recruiting), low NIL opportunities (killing us in recruiting), awesome suites w/ bars and buffet tables so the fans sit in there and treat it like a "social event" and draws our crowds in there instead of in their seats watching the game (killing us in recruiting). I love TCU, I always will, but it is not a school that is appealing to the really great recruits or even the 2 and 3 star recruits when you compare it to UT/A&M/Tech/Baylor/UofH now that they can say Big 12. The years of expecting 9/10 win seasons are far gone and not coming back so get used to hoping for a game from 2005-2014 to be on ESPN classic if you want to see a dominant TCU team again.

SackLunch

If you are taking about overall success during their respective tenures at TCU, then yes I agree, GP will be better than whoever we get next. GP is a coaching legend and chances are we won’t follow him up with another legend.

However, if you are talking about coaching ability right now, for 2022 and the next few seasons, then I disagree. TCU absolutely can get a better coach than GP right now.
I hope you are right.