• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

TCUdirtbag

The football program is indeed the Front Porch. I know GP used that, but I can't remember who it was that said it first. It's been used for a long time. And the growth Universities have seen when their teams are good proves it.

And I agree with everything you wrote, but the last part. I was hoping that maybe GP would see the light coming into this year and make needed changes. Then hoped maybe they would tell him get it straight or next year is is last. I also hoped I could win the lottery and retire by 35.

Front porch theory has actually begun to be studied. Turns out it’s rare for athletics success to breed any sustained benefits to the university. There are anecdotal exceptions, and TCU is the poster child for that. Particularly in fundraising, the numbers actually show athletics success can cannibalize university fundraising. In admissions, most universities have found that the athletics success boom wanes quickly. Kind of interesting stuff (if you’re a nerd).

HFrog1999

Yes, because everyone interviews for jobs they're not interested in.

I’ve interviewed for a lot of jobs I wasn’t interested in, and I took most of them

office space slow turn GIF

Obvious Troll

When you have, say, your #2 or #3 favorite ready to sign and start and your #1 dragging his feet or delaying, you aren’t incentivized to wait because the risk is you’ll end up with none of them at the end of the day.

There are several candidates who have been interviewed, their vet and background is done, and there is high mutual interest… how long do you wait for something that could never happen down the road?

Regardless of what CJD has said publicly, they hope to have a candidate agree on a terms sheet and announced in the next 1-2 weeks if possible. The sooner, the better for recruiting and player/coach retention. That’s highly possible given the caliber of candidates and mutual interest already on the table.

Campbell will need to engage more actively to be considered, he knows that. He wants things his way, but TCU doesn’t have that luxury. If he wants the job, he needs to go and get it. This is the current open question.

Yes, there is a material difference between Dykes and Napier, mostly style, system, age, and approach. For example, want to retain certain coaches? You’d go Dykes and not Napier. TCU will just need to decide who they want, and who is the better short vs long term bet and what TCU wants right now.
This post doesn't strike a favorable chord unless Petersen, Napier, Meyer or a similar quality coach is our #2 or #3 ready to sign.
Just because someone is ready to sign doesn't make a match.
I surely hope the level of patience with the search team is enough to work through the next four weeks.

Mean Purple

When you have, say, your #2 or #3 favorite ready to sign and start and your #1 dragging his feet or delaying, you aren’t incentivized to wait because the risk is you’ll end up with none of them at the end of the day.

There are several candidates who have been interviewed, their vet and background is done, and there is high mutual interest… how long do you wait for something that could never happen down the road?

Regardless of what CJD has said publicly, they hope to have a candidate agree on a terms sheet and announced in the next 1-2 weeks if possible. The sooner, the better for recruiting and player/coach retention. That’s highly possible given the caliber of candidates and mutual interest already on the table.

Campbell will need to engage more actively to be considered, he knows that. He wants things his way, but TCU doesn’t have that luxury. If he wants the job, he needs to go and get it. This is the current open question.

Yes, there is a material difference between Dykes and Napier, mostly style, system, age, and approach. For example, want to retain certain coaches? You’d go Dykes and not Napier. TCU will just need to decide who they want, and who is the better short vs long term bet and what TCU wants right now.
So folks like Doug and Fitch are could be auditioning the next few weeks if its the one vs the other? I'm guessing recruiting ability plays in that too.

JAB331

From the media, it looks like Sanders might be the front the runner. I'm good with that, because as odd as it is to write this, I trust Donati. His action over the past couple of weeks has shown me he's way more tapped in and on top of things than I ever thought.

Mean Purple

Also amazing how long he was there — 15 years!
He had a great record. If they would have listened to him early on and work quicker to get facilities, I think he would have had even more success. He was on fire at Miami at first, then just started getting run down. Folks thought that was a dodge when he retired. But they were already trying to check on his health, I think. Then the announcement this past late summer was just heart breaking. Hopefully he can battle this and live a good life.

Sebastian S

still interesting to see who LSU and USC hire?

I know LSU will get the first pick but I don’t think there is a big gap between USC and TCU.