• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Froggish

My buddy just said the exact same thing. We will get their coach and end up being jealous of their splash hire.
Rhett Lashlee is going to be the next coach at SMU if it isn’t Samples himself. Even if he ended up on the hill, most of our candidates would coach circles around Deion. I wouldn’t worry about SMU.

Limey Frog

I heard something about this guy that ended up over in Europe coaching a soccer team. Apparently he's turned that team around, but I don't know if he's willing to leave after his success there.

Last name's Lasso, I think?
Big time media exposure with that hire.

Evidently Dykes knows something TCU doesn't/didn't...
How to find a passing attack with different leaders.
How to protect his QB and allow him to find open WRs...
How to establish a quality staff with le$$ and in a short time period.
How to locate and develop diamonds in the ruff like GP use to do...
How to really utilize the Portal system.

And why is Dion even on this thread.?.
He also knows how to get quality QBs to transfer to SMU.

Limey Frog

With Dykes, he has won 10 games with SMU and very well could this year. They have hardly played in many bowl games in 30 years, so that's quite an accomplishment regardless of conference. I wouldn't go by his Cal record. Again, a bad fit.
We all used to think winning ten games as non-P5 school was a really difficult accomplishment. I still do.

SackLunch

So what you are saying is that out of 130 FBS schools we are the same as 125 of them? That was always going to be case. GP was an anomaly.
GP was an anomaly and Yea I kind of am but not that drastic. We are now a place where a good young coach from Colorado St, Nevada, San Diego St Etc., and those were just examples don't read too much into me using those schools, come to show they can win or lose with the big boys and move on to a monsters like LSU or OU and even on to schools like Maryland or Washington St. Or get fired. We are also a place where once really good coaches come to try and be relevant again, like Ed O or Bobby Petrino. It is what it is, y'all wanted GP out so own what we got in return. Please reply with anger. LOL

Wexahu

GP was an anomaly and Yea I kind of am but not that drastic. We are now a place where a good young coach from Colorado St, Nevada, San Diego St Etc., and those were just examples don't read too much into me using those schools, come to show they can win or lose with the big boys and move on to a monsters like LSU or OU and even on to schools like Maryland or Washington St. Or get fired. We are also a place where once really good coaches come to try and be relevant again, like Ed O or Bobby Petrino. It is what it is, y'all wanted GP out so own what we got in return. Please reply with anger. LOL
Yeah, GP’s time was done, that was obvious. Now we move on. The end.

Frozen Frog

Rhett Lashlee is going to be the next coach at SMU if it isn’t Samples himself. Even if he ended up on the hill, most of our candidates would coach circles around Deion. I wouldn’t worry about SMU.

Rhett Lashlee is probably looking for a job right now, and I don't think anyone would consider him for a HC job. He has had some great teams as a OC, but Miami is struggling.

Don't know if he is mentioned but Pat Narduzzi could be a name to watch. He isn't a Texas guy, and I do think it would take him some time to get TCU cooking.

I understand some of the hatred towards Dykes. He did coach at SMU JH (JJ Pearce HS). Now he is at SMU. He has had some successes along some miserable failures. He has ties to several schools in Texas from a HS and college perspective. I think he would be the first to admit that at Cal he did not know what it meant to be a real college coach. He learned a lot from Patterson, and now he is using it. SMU is way ahead of the curve with the transfer portal.

I like the idea of Kellen Moore. I would even be happy with Jason Garrett. A NFL guy might want the TCU job since it is something different.

Right now TCU is a Top 3 job on the market. If you look at the Big 12 it is probably the top job in the conference. I still think there is a good chance the Pac 12 comes calling for TCU. Oregon isn't generating the viewers they need. There is a major problem. TCU has a good relationship with most other conferences. It might not be the "research" school that is coveted, but it is respectable.

I think TCU goes more with a safe candidate than a splashy candidate. Mike Norvell could be out at FSU soon. Could Prime Time be their next candidate?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Gentlemen, about that "heckler" thing...

I was sitting about 5 rows away from where the "heckling" took place, and it is important to place things in context. Before the kickoff, when the Baylor team was coming down the old ramp past the north side of the West stands, they were chirping pretty loud about how they were "Big XII, baby! We're gonna kick y'all's ass!" (etc.) as they were on their way down. It was after the game, when their asses had been most thoroughly whipped, that the mocking reply of "Big XII, baby! Big XII!" came right back at them. IIRC, the final was 45-10, and it was not as close as the score indicated...

Moose Stuff

According to money guys I know, we nearly lost Gary to greener pastures a couple of times in his earlier years. I remember a tense discussion these guys were having at the Salt Lake City Marriott concierge lounge the morning after the tough 2008 loss at Utah about needing to pony up more money. I believe that Gary made the TCU job so good that it just didn't make sense to leave for places where he would be puppeteered to varying degrees. We kept him and he stayed with us because of ours and his lucky stars..

We hope not to become a stepping stone but that's just difficult to do.. For goodness sakes, LSU lost Saban for greener pastures.

Regarding Deion, I love the idea of instant recruiting and starpower, but I'm afraid he's only around for the good and won't have a work ethic and when things get a little tough, he may be gone or just won't perform admirably.
That tense discussion was because the story about him being the next HC at Kansas St broke the next day. I will believe until the day I die that he was taking that job until the story broke when it did.

Double V

Gentlemen, about that "heckler" thing...

I was sitting about 5 rows away from where the "heckling" took place, and it is important to place things in context. Before the kickoff, when the Baylor team was coming down the old ramp past the north side of the West stands, they were chirping pretty loud about how they were "Big XII, baby! We're gonna kick y'all's ass!" (etc.) as they were on their way down. It was after the game, when their asses had been most thoroughly whipped, that the mocking reply of "Big XII, baby! Big XII!" came right back at them. IIRC, the final was 45-10, and it was not as close as the score indicated...
Good job, Big XII

asleep003

Only Dykes/Napier/or Fickel are my logical choices... and in that order.

Dykes is the most appropriate for most every reason I can think of... minimal kinks in armor.
Napier, wow, wouldn't we want his Louisiana recruiting prowess, to go with the Texas choices.
Fickell would be a wonderful pick, tho probly just waiting for the next Buckeye opening.

These guys are obviously Portal savvy !

Endless Purple

I am not a Dykes fan unless we want to be happy with 8 wins a year like Tech was. He won 10 games at SMU once, but wasn't that with the previous coaches players? Can he recruit his own players? How do we know he can develop a great staff consistently? I see him as a nice consistent coach, but not one who can win it all at the conference or national level.

No Dieon. Need a solid coach who can keep a top level program in place based on coaching skill and knowledge.

Not sure who the best answer is, but I don't think it is the ones pushed by the media as being the best. No one in teh media has TCU's best wishes as their top goal, only clicks.

edit: to add, I do like Traylor as one of my preferred picks.

Last edited:

Fiscuits

Sonny would be MUCH less likely to move on than the other two. Deion would be a hired gun, Moore isn't from here and has NFL ties, Sonny is from West Texas and is a college football guy through and though......and has been around long enough to know that chasing rainbows isn't always the right move.
If that’s the case then he would never leave SMU….

Wexahu

If that’s the case then he would never leave SMU….
Understand the point, but I’m not sure he would if SMU were in a P5 league. And I know the new Big 12 might not be what the current one is, but it’s gonna be way better than the new AAC.

He would maybe leave TCU for the UT, A&M or OU job, something like that, but I think the number of places he’d jump to are far fewer than some of these guys.

CountryFrog

I am not a Dykes fan unless we want to be happy with 8 wins a year like Tech was. He won 10 games at SMU once, but wasn't that with the previous coaches players? Can he recruit his own players? How do we know he can develop a great staff consistently? I see him as a nice consistent coach, but not one who can win it all at the conference or national level.

No Dieon. Need a solid coach who can keep a top level program in place based on coaching skill and knowledge.

Not sure who the best answer is, but I don't think it is the ones pushed by the media as being the best. No one in teh media has TCU's best wishes as their top goal, only clicks.

edit: to add, I do like Traylor as one of my preferred picks.
I've got some disappointing news for you. Whoever we hire won't be coming in to "keep a top level program in place." They will be coming in to make a thoroughly mediocre program better with the hopes of getting back to being a top level program in the not too distant future.