• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Mean Purple

I hate to say it but TCU is now a "stepping stone" school for any head coach we hire. We will never find another coach like GP who will stick around and continue to build up what GP did while he was here. I would bet we won't have the same head coach for longer than 6 years from this point forward. Guys like GP don't exist anymore and if they do they aren't near as good as he was.
Well, there is not need to worry about building up TCU, it's already been done. Some of the best facilties in the whole country. Money. Recruiting Hotbed. TV.
We aint in Conf USA anymore, and our fans should start to finally realize that.

Wexahu

Well, there is not need to worry about building up TCU, it's already been done. Some of the best facilties in the whole country. Money. Recruiting Hotbed. TV.
I do realize that, and all those things except the recruiting hotbed Sonny hasn't had at his disposal. When he does, look out! ;)

Mean Purple

Mike Leach has been linked to Tech. I don’t see it happening. Could he be a candidate?
I wouldn't be shocked. They worship him after 7 win seasons at Tech. As long as he cracks odd statements (which he does to avoid talking about how he blew another game) and some long passes are thrown, those frickin sand aggies will goo themselve. Buncha frickin inbreds.

Wexahu

I think folks may have not looked at the record. He improved during the first stop. Cal = disaster. SMU record is not the world beater people make it out to be.
Cal was not a "disaster". Massive overstatement. He took over a program in a total mess and went 1-11 his first year and then went 18-19 in the next three years. Literally NOBODY wins big there. Their best coach in the last 75 years had a .590 winning percentage. Hell, Marv Levy coached there for 4 years and went 8-29. You think he was a [ Finebaum ]ty coach?

Mean Purple

Cal was not a "disaster". Massive overstatement. He took over a program in a total mess and went 1-11 his first year and then went 18-19 in the next three years. Literally NOBODY wins big there. Their best coach in the last 75 years had a .590 winning percentage. Hell, Marv Levy coached there for 4 years and went 8-29. You think he was a [ #2020 ]ty coach?
I didn't say he was a disaster. I said Cal = disaster.
Which is basically confirmed by your post. Might as well go coach at Vandy.

Wexahu

I didn't say he was a disaster. I said Cal = disaster.
Which is basically confirmed by your post. Might as well go coach at Vandy.
Oh, got it. Yeah, it's a place coaches go to die, like many other places. His worst move as a coach was taking that job, but I'm sure he made good $.

Mean Purple

Oh, got it. Yeah, it's a place coaches go to die, like many other places. His worst move as a coach was taking that job, but I'm sure he made good $.
Not sure how good the money could be. That was right about the time Cal pulled the same craziness Vandy did several years before. Basically try and tank their Ath Department.

The Bad Guy

Cal was not a "disaster". Massive overstatement. He took over a program in a total mess and went 1-11 his first year and then went 18-19 in the next three years. Literally NOBODY wins big there. Their best coach in the last 75 years had a .590 winning percentage. Hell, Marv Levy coached there for 4 years and went 8-29. You think he was a [ #2020 ]ty coach?

Not terrible considering it is Cal. I also like to think he has improved as a head coach since then as well.

Wexahu

Might have made him a better coach too.
I think every stop he's been on made him a better coach, including his time here where he could see how GP coached, and especially how he coaches defense. That year "off" where he could kind of observe without having to be so hands-on might have made a big difference actually.

He appears to be a better coach now than he ever has been, and he's always been decent.

I think every stop he's been on made him a better coach, including his time here where he could see how GP coached, and especially how he coaches defense. That year "off" where he could kind of observe without having to be so hands-on might have made a big difference actually.

He appears to be a better coach now than he ever has been, and he's always been decent.
Whether it's true or not, I think our decision-makers will see him as a coach who is coming into his own right now, and that will justify his hiring.

He's probably not a guy we would have targeted even two or three years ago.

Wexahu

Whether it's true or not, I think our decision-makers will see him as a coach who is coming into his own right now, and that will justify his hiring.

He's probably not a guy we would have targeted even two or three years ago.
I don't think so either. And for sure the fact that he's come into ACS and beat us twice doesn't hurt his cause, no matter how "bad" we were.

FWIW, we wouldn't have considered Kellen Moore, Deion Sanders, Traylor, or Napier 2-3 years ago either. It would have been a completely different group of candidates. Call it flavor of the month or whatever, but that's how this works.

Spike

I think the stepping stone talk relates to the whole go younger movement. If we get someone like Moore who is in his 30s then he's not gonna stay forever. WE get Dykes in his 50s and he starts winning he might stay til he's ready to retire.

East Coast

Tier 1
Leach will not leave the SEC for a weakened Big 12. If he did, coming to TCU so he could play Tech every year and get Pirate revenge on the $2 million he thinks they still owe him would be fun. Also in 1998, some of the TCU crowd did not think GP “looked” like a head coach. His pants and shirts were apparently not pressed adequately.
I can't imagine it happening, but Leach is a funny bird. What if Tech started with that $2M as a sign on bonus??