• The KillerFrogs

New NCAA Proposal to Toughen Eligibility Requirements

gdu

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 19 2010, 10:49 PM) [snapback]561741[/snapback]
And the football player gets to play a game while the above works to pay for tuition. Hmm

Go to a CGP practice and tell me "they are playing a game." If it was so easy, why didn't you do it? Why didn't you work full time? Why didn't you get better grades if you weren't? Why didn't you get a better SAT score?

SigFrog

I didn't play football at TCU but I did win a conference championship in a different sport. A lot more of your time goes in to a sport than just practice time and game time. These athletes pay for their scholarship with their bodies. Not to mention all the notoriety, especially the football team, they give to the school which then earns millions off of them.

Trelvis

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 20 2010, 02:02 PM) [snapback]561920[/snapback]
Players aren't allowed to work during the season for income.

Yes, I know that.

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 20 2010, 02:02 PM) [snapback]561920[/snapback]
And I didn't realize students with full time jobs had to take and pass 15 hours every semester.

They dont, but I said full time student and by that definition you have to take at least 12 hours a semester, or at least I had to, to be considered full time.

I know people that took 15-18 hours a semester plus worked 40 hours a week. Yeah, working a full time job is easier on the body, but in no way is it easy to do.

Im not trying to say playing football and going to school is easy to do, all I am saying is there are people out there who go to school full time and work full time and are still able to pass their classes. If they can do that, then a football player who is taking 9 hours should be able to pass their classes. Football players and athletes have it tougher in some areas, but they also get alot of help and have it alot easier in other areas that the normal student doesnt.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(Trelvis @ May 20 2010, 09:34 AM) [snapback]561947[/snapback]
Yes, I know that.

They dont, but I said full time student and by that definition you have to take at least 12 hours a semester, or at least I had to, to be considered full time.

I know people that took 15-18 hours a semester plus worked 40 hours a week. Yeah, working a full time job is easier on the body, but in no way is it easy to do.

Im not trying to say playing football and going to school is easy to do, all I am saying is there are people out there who go to school full time and work full time and are still able to pass their classes. If they can do that, then a football player who is taking 9 hours should be able to pass their classes. Football players and athletes have it tougher in some areas, but they also get alot of help and have it alot easier in other areas that the normal student doesnt.

By rule, all student-athletes must be enrolled full-time in order to be eligible for practice and competition. At every institution on a two-semester system, that means they must carry 12 hours at mimimum at all times during the academic year. There are only two exceptions to this rule. One are graduate students. For grad students, six hours is the mimimum for full-time enrollment. The other exception is when a student-athlete has less than 12 hours remaining to satisfy their degree requirements and they are enrolled in their last semester of undergraduate attendance.

Trelvis

QUOTE(JimSwinkLives! @ May 20 2010, 03:00 PM) [snapback]561961[/snapback]
By rule, all student-athletes must be enrolled full-time in order to be eligible for practice and competition. At every institution on a two-semester system, that means they must carry 12 hours at mimimum at all times during the academic year. There are only two exceptions to this rule. One are graduate students. For grad students, six hours is the mimimum for full-time enrollment. The other exception is when a student-athlete has less than 12 hours remaining to satisfy their degree requirements and they are enrolled in their last semester of undergraduate attendance.

So they have to be enrolled in 12 but only have to pass 9?

A proposal that would require college football players to pass nine hours in the fall or become ineligible for the first four games the following season ...

I dont understand what the proposal is changing then. Im confused at this point.

froginaustin

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ May 19 2010, 08:36 PM) [snapback]561783[/snapback]
. . .. If they happen to come across a class they have a hard time with, I don't think they should have to miss 1/3 of the next season because of it.

I think ALL students should be encouraged to take some classes that may be a stretch. Taking a class that risks a crappy grade is scary enough without adding yet another risk to taking a tough class.

SnoSki

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 20 2010, 09:03 AM) [snapback]561921[/snapback]
Go to a CGP practice and tell me "they are playing a game." If it was so easy, why didn't you do it? Why didn't you work full time? Why didn't you get better grades if you weren't? Why didn't you get a better SAT score?

For the record, I would gladly tell CGP that his practices are just a game. He'd probably agree, to be honest. I know he's a stand-up guy who wants healthy kids who succeed in the classroom as well as on the field, and that makes him a GREAT coach. Ask TJ Johnson why he's getting two degrees-- he knows that there is more to life than football and he is preparing for life after it. I'd bet Corey Rodgers or any number of other guys who didn't make the pros wish they could've tried harder.

Why didn't I play football? I'm not physically gifted. My best 40 time in HS was 4.9 or 5.0.. Not ffast at all. That answers your first question. #2, FOOTBALL IS NOT HARD. It is physically and mentally demanding, but lets not pretend like these guys are solving world issues or curing cancer. They work out a lot, get free passes from many professors and free iPods or whatever at their bowl games. I'd gladly do it if I were physically talented enough. Let's get real though: They're scoring touchdowns to entertain us, while most of them take communications classes they can pass while sleeping. I like football, and like football players, so don't get me wrong there. I lived with 2 of them and know that the lifestyle isn't all that difficult if you can manage your time.

About why not making higher grades..I made good grades. Went to the TCU Honor program. Working on a masters now while working full time.

Not sure about the SAT score.. pre-cal was tough for me.

I'm just saying that athletes should have to pass 100% of their hours (however many it is). Is that so much to ask?

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(Trelvis @ May 20 2010, 10:04 AM) [snapback]561965[/snapback]
So they have to be enrolled in 12 but only have to pass 9?

I dont understand what the proposal is changing then. Im confused at this point.

Nine at a minimum. Most already do that. If a football player completes nine per semester, for 18 total during the academic year, he will have to take and pass six more during summer school to be eligible.

Second, it raises the minimum standard from six to nine. The data that the proposal relies upon states that when student-athletes pass a minimum of at least nine per semester, plus six hours of summer school, they are far more likely to graduate on time.

Current data also shows that student-athletes typically have a higher graduation rate than the rest of the student body.

gdu

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 20 2010, 03:11 PM) [snapback]561982[/snapback]
For the record, I would gladly tell CGP that his practices are just a game. He'd probably agree, to be honest. I know he's a stand-up guy who wants healthy kids who succeed in the classroom as well as on the field, and that makes him a GREAT coach. Ask TJ Johnson why he's getting two degrees-- he knows that there is more to life than football and he is preparing for life after it. I'd bet Corey Rodgers or any number of other guys who didn't make the pros wish they could've tried harder.

Why didn't I play football? I'm not physically gifted. My best 40 time in HS was 4.9 or 5.0.. Not ffast at all. That answers your first question. #2, FOOTBALL IS NOT HARD. It is physically and mentally demanding, but lets not pretend like these guys are solving world issues or curing cancer. They work out a lot, get free passes from many professors and free iPods or whatever at their bowl games. I'd gladly do it if I were physically talented enough. Let's get real though: They're scoring touchdowns to entertain us, while most of them take communications classes they can pass while sleeping. I like football, and like football players, so don't get me wrong there. I lived with 2 of them and know that the lifestyle isn't all that difficult if you can manage your time.

About why not making higher grades..I made good grades. Went to the TCU Honor program. Working on a masters now while working full time.

Not sure about the SAT score.. pre-cal was tough for me.
I'm just saying that athletes should have to pass 100% of their hours (however many it is). Is that so much to ask?

Yes, and wow, just wow. Some people don't get it.

SnoSki

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 20 2010, 10:25 AM) [snapback]561996[/snapback]
Yes, and wow, just wow. Some people don't get it.

Agree to disagree :sleep:

gdu

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 20 2010, 03:27 PM) [snapback]562001[/snapback]
Agree to disagree :sleep:

Yes, I agree that everyone here disagrees with you.

ross

KMA
QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 19 2010, 03:40 PM) [snapback]561696[/snapback]
Because they're getting a free ride when others are paying $100K+ for it. Not to mention the fact that they get the privilege of wearing a TCU uniform on national highlight reels each week, and get to have hundreds of dollars in "gifts" lavished upon them during bowl season. Seems like a few good reasons to me, not to mention the fact that most NCAA players won't turn pro and will need to have a good degree to get anywhere. They won't get hired by a company because of their 40 time.

Have you ever taken the number of hours they work at their job of football. Time when other student are free to play or work a side job. Believe me it is work and they spend many hours year round working for the benefit of the school. It is not a "free ride" they earn every penny of benefit they get. I am not an adviocate of paying college football players; however, there is a quid pro quo for their scholarship.

Mike Brooks

Come on Sno, no one turns on a tv or opens a magazine to see how you are excelling academically. Athletes bring attention to the school that increasses admission apps and hence the school can be more particular with who they enroLl which raises our academic standing. Never understood the rivalry or jealously between genpop students and athletes. It is win win win. Maybe you and you 1300 wouldn't have chosen TCU if we weren't successful in sports.