• The KillerFrogs

New NCAA Proposal to Toughen Eligibility Requirements

JimSwinkLives!

Yeah, the Board of Directors gave a thumbs up to the working group's proposal last month at their meeting. It'll go into the legislative cycle in August for everyone to review and comment. I'd be shocked if it didn't pass next spring.

fdub

here's the proposal:

A proposal that would require college football players to pass nine hours in the fall or become ineligible for the first four games the following season ...

The proposal... attempts to move the average graduation period up from five years to 4½ years. A player would have an opportunity under the proposal to reduce the penalty to two games if he passes 27 units by the end of the final summer term. ...The rule could help lower the number of players who leave school without graduating after exhausting their eligibility, according to the NCAA.
...If passed, schools would be expected to comply as early as the 2011 season.

SnoSki

Only 9 hours? Why not 100%, be it 12-15 hours?

I mean, they're getting a free education. You might as well put some importance on it.

gdu

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 19 2010, 07:51 PM) [snapback]561671[/snapback]
I mean, they're getting a free education. You might as well put some importance on it.

bc they are pretty damn busy with football in the fall. Most of them, even the good students, make up way more hours in the spring and summer.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 19 2010, 02:51 PM) [snapback]561671[/snapback]

The DI institutions' minimum requirement for student-athletes is to pass 24 credit hours from one academic year to the next. Of those 24, a minimum of 18 must be passed during the regular academic year (fall and spring semesters). Current rules also state that a minimum of six credit hours must be passed in order for the student-athlete to be eligible the following semester. So for football students, as long as they pass six hours in the spring, 18 during the year, and a total of 24 prior to the start of the next academic year, they are good to go.

What this rule might do is prevent football student-athletes from blowing off the fall semester, and then loading up during the spring and summer in order to satisfy PTD requirements.

SnoSki

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 19 2010, 02:57 PM) [snapback]561673[/snapback]
bc they are pretty damn busy with football in the fall. Most of them, even the good students, make up way more hours in the spring and summer.

I'm sorry, I'll go on and admit that I've never been a collegiate athlete, so I'm a bit biased when it comes to this kind of stuff (graduated 12th in my class in HS with a 1300 SAT and didn't see a dime of scholarship money)... but why not make it so they have to pass 100% of their courses, and not just most of em? Some fields of study are definitely tough, but you'd have to be a pretty big dumbace to fail communications courses.

gdu

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 19 2010, 08:31 PM) [snapback]561693[/snapback]
I'm sorry, I'll go on and admit that I've never been a collegiate athlete, so I'm a bit biased when it comes to this kind of stuff (graduated 12th in my class in HS with a 1300 SAT and didn't see a dime of scholarship money)... but why not make it so they have to pass 100% of their courses, and not just most of em? Some fields of study are definitely tough, but you'd have to be a pretty big dumbace to fail communications courses.

Most load up on hours in the spring and summer and go light in the fall to focus on football. They just put pass so athletes didn't enroll in 9 hours knowing they would not go to class and fail them, only to still take a bunch in the spring to meet the old requirements. This is just evening out their courseload more. They still have to pass the same number of hours total.

Why make it 100%? That isn't even required of other students.

SnoSki

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 19 2010, 03:36 PM) [snapback]561694[/snapback]
Why make it 100%? That isn't even required of other students.

Because they're getting a free ride when others are paying $100K+ for it. Not to mention the fact that they get the privilege of wearing a TCU uniform on national highlight reels each week, and get to have hundreds of dollars in "gifts" lavished upon them during bowl season. Seems like a few good reasons to me, not to mention the fact that most NCAA players won't turn pro and will need to have a good degree to get anywhere. They won't get hired by a company because of their 40 time.

gdu

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 19 2010, 08:40 PM) [snapback]561696[/snapback]
Because they're getting a free ride when others are paying $100K+ for it. Not to mention the fact that they get the privilege of wearing a TCU uniform on national highlight reels each week, and get to have hundreds of dollars in "gifts" lavished upon them during bowl season. Seems like a few good reasons to me, not to mention the fact that most NCAA players won't turn pro and will need to have a good degree to get anywhere. They won't get hired by a company because of their 40 time.

Oh, brother. I know plenty of tards who failed classes at TCU that still have great jobs. Athletes shouldn't have higher academic thresholds than regular students. You want to spend as much time practicing, travelling, and playing as they do in the fall and see how much tougher 12-15 hours is?

I would rather have a TCU monitor checking up on academic scholarship students to make sure they spend as much time studying as athletes spend preparing for their sport and studying combined. I mean someone is paying their bill to succeed as outstanding students.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 19 2010, 03:40 PM) [snapback]561696[/snapback]

DI institutions would never require student-athletes to adhere to far more stringent academic requirements than what is required of other students.

SnoSki

QUOTE(JimSwinkLives! @ May 19 2010, 03:52 PM) [snapback]561702[/snapback]
DI institutions would never require student-athletes to adhere to far more stringent academic requirements than what is required of other students.

Makes sense.. but what standards are regular students held to? All you gotta do is pay the $$ and you're in. I mean, yeah, you may fail out of TCU if you get under a 2.0 GPA for 2-3 semesters, but who does that?

gdu

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 19 2010, 09:10 PM) [snapback]561709[/snapback]
Makes sense.. but what standards are regular students held to? All you gotta do is pay the $$ and you're in. I mean, yeah, you may fail out of TCU if you get under a 2.0 GPA for 2-3 semesters, but who does that?

So why make athletes meet a tougher academic standard? If they don't meet team rules they will lose their scholly. Academic scholarship holders, on the other hand, should meet tougher academic standards.

TheSheik

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ May 19 2010, 04:10 PM) [snapback]561709[/snapback]

you would be surprised

Trelvis

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 19 2010, 08:45 PM) [snapback]561698[/snapback]
You want to spend as much time practicing, travelling, and playing as they do in the fall and see how much tougher 12-15 hours is?

No different than the kid who works full time and goes to school full time...

SnoSki

QUOTE(Trelvis @ May 19 2010, 05:33 PM) [snapback]561736[/snapback]

And the football player gets to play a game while the above works to pay for tuition. Hmm

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Trelvis @ May 19 2010, 05:33 PM) [snapback]561736[/snapback]

It's actually quite a bit different. I agree with gdu on this one.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ May 19 2010, 09:08 PM) [snapback]561773[/snapback]
It's actually quite a bit different. I agree with gdu on this one.

Yep...much different.

Houston Frog

I'm with GDU on this one as well.

Drew, you got a 1300 on your SAT, you're probably a pretty smart guy, and it's probably pretty easy for you to pass all your classes. I'm sure that not all of our football players are quite as mentally gifted. If they happen to come across a class they have a hard time with, I don't think they should have to miss 1/3 of the next season because of it.

gdu

QUOTE(Trelvis @ May 19 2010, 10:33 PM) [snapback]561736[/snapback]

Players aren't allowed to work during the season for income. And I didn't realize students with full time jobs had to take and pass 15 hours every semester.