• The KillerFrogs

MLB refuses to overturn Pete Rose's lifetime ban

Zubaz

nwlafrog said:
I can think of 4,256 reasons
But the biggest issue isn't so much the gambling as a player (though that's a serious issue). It's the gambling on his own team during his 5 year stint as a manager.

nwlafrog

Todd D. said:
But the biggest issue isn't so much the gambling as a player (though that's a serious issue). It's the gambling on his own team during his 5 year stint as a manager.
I guess you could chalk it up to here say, but I don't believe he would've bet against his own squad

OmniscienceFrog

tetonfrog said:
Good news!

Rose was a great player, but he is a rotten person. Gambling on baseball is not OK. He had a spread sheet for all the MLB teams to gamble on plus he gambled on the Reds, too! He deserved his punishment then and still does now.

There is no gambling in baseball. Players or coaches who do deserve to be banned. Why should Rose be any different from the Black Sox players who tarnished baseball with their crooked ways?
The players involved in the Black Sox scandal threw games intentionally.  I have yet to see or hear of any evidence that Pete Rose ever bet against a team he was playing for or managing.  

I don't care for Pete Rose in the least, and could not care less if he ever gets into the HOF, but I think the reasoning for keeping him out is bogus.  

Zubaz

Frog-in-law1995 said:
If I bet on my team to win and it's a 1 run game in the 8th, I'd bring in my closer early...the next game be damned.
Exactly. I don't think he bet against his team. He's too much of a competitor first, and there's never been any evidence that he did. But we know he didn't bet on every game. How he managed in games where money was on the line vs games where it wasn't could have been different. If it's different, then there's an influence in how you manage, which is precisely why it's banned.

OmniscienceFrog

Todd D. said:
1) By the specific rules posted both in this thread and in every clubhouse in the MLB, he cheated.

MLB Rule 21, Section D:
Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall
bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which
the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

Where, in the above, that some of you so constantly refer, does it say that betting on a baseball game is cheating?

It doesn't.  Throwing the term of cheating into it just makes you feel more like your opinion is right, nothing else. 

Horned Toad

OmniscienceFrog said:
No, not necessarily.  Was playing pepper by the on deck circle, while stadiums used to have "No Pepper" posted all the time, breaking a rule, or cheating?
Good lord man he wasn't playing pepper. Yes he broke a rule, playing pepper where you are not supposed to might get you a fine, betting on baseball comes with a lifetime ban. His actions broke a rule and violated the integrity of the game. Thus he is a rule breaking cheater. Cut and dry, plain and simple.

nwlafrog

Horned Toad said:
Good lord man he wasn't playing pepper. Yes he broke a rule, playing pepper where you are not supposed to might get you a fine, betting on baseball comes with a lifetime ban. His actions broke a rule and violated the integrity of the game. Thus he is a rule breaking cheater. Cut and dry, plain and simple.
I still don't see how he is a cheater in any way

OmniscienceFrog

Horned Toad said:
Hahahaha, simma down now!

TooColdU

Banned from the sport, yet this display remains up in Cooperstown.

sEGxLYK.jpg

Just give him the plaque already.

tcujsauce

nwlafrog said:
I still don't see how he is a cheater in any way
I see the dead horse you are continually beating, and I understand that. However, he broke a rule, and that rule that he broke states in plain language that a lifetime ban is the punishment. No room to [ hundin] about it and he does not deserve to be reinstated because of this. If you don't want to be banned, don't break the damn rules. I see this in a similar light as that guy who had that sign that said "My son shouldn't have to fear for his life every time he robs a store", or something to that effect. Don't wanna get shot? Don't break the law. It's simple.

nwlafrog

TCU J-Sauce said:
I see the dead horse you are continually beating, and I understand that. However, he broke a rule, and that rule that he broke states in plain language that a lifetime ban is the punishment. No room to witch about it and he does not deserve to be reinstated because of this. If you don't want to be banned, don't break the damn rules. I see this in a similar light as that guy who had that sign that said "My son shouldn't have to fear for his life every time he robs a store", or something to that effect. Don't wanna get shot? Don't break the law. It's simple.
Uh, I made like 5 posts? It's an open thread. I'm just saying that because he broke a rule of gambling doesn't make him a cheater and in my personal opinion that shouldn't keep him from being in the Hall.

tcujsauce

nwlafrog said:
Uh, I made like 5 posts? It's an open thread. I'm just saying that because he broke a rule of gambling doesn't make him a cheater and in my personal opinion that shouldn't keep him from being in the Hall.
Sorry should've said y'all, not you specifically.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The issue is the integrity of the game itself. If a player or manager stands to gain by manipulating the game, then the integrity of the game is called into question. Same for steroids/HGH/etc. Either everybody gets them or nobody does.

The days of Kennesaw Mountain Landis are long, long gone. Bart Giamatti was the last Commish with any balls, or integrity. Fay Vincent was a wimp. The execrable Bud Selig had no integrity whatsoever and allowed the juicing to happen so that baseball's popularity returned. Now MLB is fully vested in gambling interests, looking to profit from their own game. The temptation to tweak the rules and move things when they shouldn't to increase those profits in the same way that they allege Rose did when managing the Reds.

They don't have a leg to stand on.

flyfishingfrog

Todd D. said:
Is breaking the rules not "cheating"?
No

There are 100 rules in baseball that if violated are not cheating - it's violating a rule.

Dress policy, length of mound visits, DL list lengths, arbitration process, etc - most are administrative much like the no betting rule.

If you can prove he threw a game as a player or manager, then he cheated. Otherwise he was banned for violating a rule only.

And MLB is a Total JOKE and hypocrites as long as they allow the steroid users to be involved in the game in any way and own part of daily fantasy betting- they don't care about the game, only the money.

Atomic Frawg

Horned Toad said:

Pete Rose wasn't a murderer, so his ban for that is not in question. He was, however, a cheater. For that he was banned for life.

Has there been any evidence that Rose shaved points or did anything that directly effected the outcome of a game? It's my understanding that his betting on baseball was more akin to insider trading, being that he knew more than the average Joe about the teams, players, etc.

If he was cheating anyone, he appears to have been cheating Vegas/bookies, not baseball. Nothing indicates, according to ESPN, that he bet against the Reds. He always bet on his team to win. Is that the greatest offense of all time? I don't think so. But if they keep him out during his lifetime, they shouldn't let him in after he dies. that would be chicken boat.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13114874/notebook-obtained-lines-shows-pete-rose-bet-baseball-player-1986