• The KillerFrogs

Max is not the answer

PO Frog

Today was ugly for MD, no doubt. Just seems like he struggles going through progressions and is so often a tick late. And then he rushes the throw because of it. Not comfortable in the pocket at all.

Seemed to take a step back today. Not progressing like you’d like. I’m not sure he’s ever had great or good coaching though.
I don’t understand how anyone thinks a QB could get comfortable in our “pocket”. With Harris out, we can’t block anyone…

Eight

This - his awareness in the pocket is poor. Last year he was stepping into defenders while trying to move around the pocket

a few of his decisions in the frogs possession before half were really interesting and a couple of the throws he made were frustrating.

how he hit quentin on the deep sideline and then miss evans in the flat and williams at around the 5 are just a mystery

jake102

He had a bad game today. The fumble isn’t completely on him, but most good QBs aren’t ever going to be caught 100% blindsided like that.

The miss to Evans was inexcusable, somehow missed him by 2-3 yards when Evans was only like 7 yards away. Bizarre.

Is what he is, average or above average

Bruce Berry

He had a bad game today. The fumble isn’t completely on him, but most good QBs aren’t ever going to be caught 100% blindsided like that.

The miss to Evans was inexcusable, somehow missed him by 2-3 yards when Evans was only like 7 yards away. Bizarre.

Is what he is, average or above average

Shades of Shawn Robinson against Texas. Watched that play 100 times-still not sure who the scheiss he was throwing it to.

SMOKEY IV

Until TCU decides on an offensive scheme and recruits players to fit that scheme no QB will progress.
This offense has been the equivalent of an intramural flag football team - week to week drawing up plays to get the ball to someone different this week. This is on the HC.

Hemingway

We just aren’t that good a creating a competitive environment at the qb position here. We give tenure to average qbs and stifle competition. We need to get in the transfer game and and bring in some badass qb prospects that have been buried on someone else’s depth chart.
You can believe whatever you want. I’m real comfortable with my observation. And LMAO at Max fumbling after getting smoked on a blindside blitz being evidence that he isn’t good enough. I’m not sure anyone should care about another word you have to say about Max after that observation. SMH.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
His fumble today alone cost us 3 at least.
"His" fumble? He got blindsided by an unblocked blitzer, on a stupidly called play that never should have happened. If blame were to be assigned for the turnover, Max doesn't get any of it. The moron calling the plays gets a bunch, as does the UT DC who had the perfect blitz package dialed up for the formation he was shown.

To my mind, there was a "tell" on our side that alerted the UTs to what was coming, something they figured out watching film, and they were prepared with a blitz package to take advantage. Max never knew what hit him.

LisaLT

He misses open receivers and seems tentative on run plays at least in the first half. When the game is on the line he is more aggressive and things start clicking. He rarely starts off a game like that. The sack fumble was unfortunate; i am surprised he couldn’t sense that was coming. Totally blindsided.

Sadly our offense is a TO machine and it makes it hard to overcome these mistakes against good competition. If we continue down this road, it will be a bleak season.

They need to establish the run and stay with it. Max is who he is and unless the brain trust is going to experiment with another QB, we are a very predictable offense.

I thought the D was decent. You can only expect so much from a unit when they are on the field constantly and up against a tremendous RB. UT isn’t that great overall. We should have won that game. So disgusted

LisaLT

"His" fumble? He got blindsided by an unblocked blitzer, on a stupidly called play that never should have happened. If blame were to be assigned for the turnover, Max doesn't get any of it. The moron calling the plays gets a bunch, as does the UT DC who had the perfect blitz package dialed up for the formation he was shown.

To my mind, there was a "tell" on our side that alerted the UTs to what was coming, something they figured out watching film, and they were prepared with a blitz package to take advantage. Max never knew what hit him.
My only comment about that blitz is how in the world did he not see or feel it coming? Shouldn’t a good QB have more awareness of what is happening around him? It’s not his fault he got sacked due to poor or no blocking but man, I would think if he was reading the defense he might have picked up that blitz and adjusted.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
My only comment about that blitz is how in the world did he not see or feel it coming? Shouldn’t a good QB have more awareness of what is happening around him? It’s not his fault he got sacked due to poor or no blocking but man, I would think if he was reading the defense he might have picked up that blitz and adjusted.
It's called a "blindside" blitz for a reason.

The other thing is, the speed and confidence that the defensive play was executed with leads me to believe that they had seen that coming, and had the play specifically designed and practiced to be used when we showed them what we were going to do. Max may be gifted with many talents, but prescience and telepathy do not seem to be among them...